Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zepfan's CBG #2 build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Zepfan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.
    I should have done more to document the trem while I was doing it. Sometime I get in the flow of doing it without thinking about pics. :rolleyes:
    I used a simple door hinge, trem bar and claw from a Strat that was in my parts bin, some 1&1/2" heavy loop end springs from Lowe's, a hair brained idea and my trusty drill. :lol:
    I'll do some close up pics of it for ya soon.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Ordering parts this week. Can hardly wait. Waiting is the hardest part. Patience through endurance and all that.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Ordering parts.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Parts should arrive Monday. Meanwhile, I went to Lowe's looking for Slug Tape(copper tape for planting pots). Got weird looks, nobody has heard of this stuff around here. So I got some aluminum tape used for heating ducts (for 2 dollars a roll) and applied it to the rear access cover/box lid to help with unwanted noise. Have plenty leftover for future use.

Attached Files:

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Operation Pickguard

Decided to make a pickguard. Wanted something that would show the CBG's name.

Attached Files:

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    After pics.

Attached Files:

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    A few close up shots of the door hinge tremolo.

Attached Files:

8. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Ha! YES! The soundholes and pguard rule!!

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.
    Got my parts in and already installed and wired. The 4-way switch is working right with no issues from the pups.
    The string retainers did their job with the string angle at the bridge and nut. The Pbass pups required setting the bass side as low as they would go and setting the high side up about 3/16ths" from the strings. Couldn't get much time to play around with it because one of the strings broke at the ball end. I'll fix that later with a fishing weight and solder. Hopefully the string break wasn't due to a tremolo problem. Might be cheap strings, got them on sale for 5 dollars. Martin brand electric, don't know much about their durability or if they are made by the same guitar company. Also put a set of this brand's acoustic strings on my first CBG. One of those broke too, but it broke at the tuner.
    I'll post some final pics later.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Me and my Wife both loved the way your challenge build turned out.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got the string fixed and installed. It's holding up.
    The only 250k volume pot I had was a mini pot and it seems to only do two settings, full and half way. I stated once in another thread that I've never had one of these mini pots that was worth a damn. That still holds true.
    The pups have a great clean sound, but don't offer much attitude with the drive channel on my amp. This Crate 20 has seen better days and I don't really have any petals to play with. I like the bridge pup alone and both pups in series the most. The neck pup remains dark, but stays clear. Its not muddy at all. It's position is 2 inches from the neck to center of pup. So if it was closer to the bridge, it would most likely eliminate some of the bass tone. It has a Baritone type sound to it, which isn't bad and I don't have plans to move it since it's not muddy.
    The tremolo action is more sensitive than a vintage Strat trem. However the staying in tune with moderate use is just as bad as a vintage Strat trem. The trem arm keeps coming loose so I'll have to find a way fix that.
    Have a slight fret buzz on the high B string at the 3rd fret, so I'll need to fix that. It's tuned from low to high: G/D/G/B. Fret all the way across with 1 finger for chords and great with slide.
    So after fixing the trem arm, third fret and replacing the defective pot I'll be done.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got the trem arm fixed. Used Loctite on the nuts and got it tight enough and still be able to move the arm.
    Fixed the fret buzz. Didn't take much.
    Don't have another 250k volume pot on hand. this will do til I can get another one.

Attached Files:

13. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Thats awesome man, thanks a lot!

We gonna get to hear Sprite in action or what?

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'm working on it. Will post something soon I hope.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.