Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zepfan's CBG #2 build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Zepfan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Used a Brass 1/4" by 1&1/2" bolt for the nut and I used a 1/4"-20 x 2" steel bolt for the bridge. Added 5 nuts to the bridge bolt as spacer guides so the strings don't wander when using the trem.
    May end up installing some Floyd Rose style string retainer bars at the nut and bridge to keep the string angle where it needs to be.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Zepfan's CBG#2 "Sprite"

Have to wait a couple of weeks to order the 4-way switch. Real tempted to use a 3-way mini toggle I've got in my parts bin.

Captain Nutslot agrees that this CBG should be called "Sprite", So I dub thee Sprite!

3. oscinator

oscinator TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2014
    sunshine coast B.C
    Epic. I want to make a tremolo now :)

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    When I get the string retainers installed and tune this thing up, I should get an idea how well it's going to work out. It has 2 springs on it and there's room for another if needed. I hope it works out.
    I'm having to wait awhile til I get paid again to buy the parts. :rolleyes:

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I goofed on the neck scarf joint. I originally was going to cut 3 inches back from the nut, but though the angle was too much and went back 3&1/2 inches. Should've left it at 3 inches, then I wouldn't have to use a string retainer bar at the nut.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I went ahead and tuned it up to experiment with the trem and check for string angle problems. I think the string retainers is a good idea. I added another spring to the tremolo to ensure enough travel for tremolo operation. Also had to do a little reshaping on the trem arm since the base sits at an angle.

Attached Files:

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You can see the string angle over the bridge in the last pics. so a retainer bar will help. Just hope I don't have bad issues with the strings going way out of tune when using this trem.

I got the wiring done up except the switch and decided to hook up each pup and plug in to test them. I was pleasantly surprised, they sound pretty good, clean and bright enough. Didn't try any distortion or high gain yet, but I'm thinking they will hadle that well.

Really wanting to get this finished so I can enjoy it frequently and annoy the wife. LOL

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Question? Need peoples input. Should this CBG have F-Holes or no F-Holes?

Attached Files:

9. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Great work! I vote 'yes' to some f holes.
    Can you post a video? I want to hear that thing.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks, 1 vote for F-Holes.
    Don't have a video camera, but if working at adding audio recording software to my computer. It will have to wait til after the Windows 10 upgrade though.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    C'mon People, I need your posts. F-holes or not?

12. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Dude, nice! I vote yes. A few different size circles, just like carbonation lol :)

13. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    F holes would look great.

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    That might work better.
    3 votes yes so far.

15. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 3, 2010
    Missoula, Montana
    Really cool looking build. I'm interested how the P-bass pickups work out - they seem perfect for this application. Do the strings hit to back of the box between the bridge and trem? Looks close.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.
    The strings are 3/16ths above the top back at the edge. When I put the retainer bar on, I'm thinking that the strings will be around 1/16ths from the top at the back edge.
    I'm hoping anyway.
    I'm not the first to use these style pups on a CBG, so they must work out okay. I've seen a few pics of some on CBG's, but didn't hear any sound samples. I'm anxious to find out on my own. They did sound good clean. I assumed that these pups would be more like a Jazzmaster pup than a Strat pup sound wise since they are wider. At least I'm hoping for that.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Added sound/carbonation holes.

Attached Files:

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    After drilling the holes, I though about making a pickguard out of a Sprite can. I may do that, but I'll have to deal with the holes by the neck pickup. I'll either have to cover them up, or drill through the pickguard.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The bridge. I glued the nuts to the wooden bridge plate with super glue to keep it in place. When I use the tremolo, the bolt/bridge turns in the nuts acting like a roller bridge.

20. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2011
    orlando
    GREAT JOB

you need to do a seperate HOW TO build on that TREM

I have NEVER thought of tryng that

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.