Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zepfan's CBG #2 build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Zepfan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Also a pic of the fretboard radius, the box after gluing in supports for the through piece and bridge and cutouts for the pickups.

Attached Files:

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'm in the process of staining the neck and fretboard which is taking a long time to get the right color.

I did get the through piece stained and installed. It's ready for Truoil.

I had to make some brackets to mount the pickups. I had some aluminum 1/2" x 1/8" flat stock in my shop. I attached the brackets to the through piece with brass screws so there wouldn't be any interference with the pickup magnets and the pickup mounting screws and springs will attach to the bracket to enable height adjustment.

Attached Files:

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I think the hinge tremolo is going to be the hardest part to get right. Hope it turns out good. If it doesn't work out, I'll remove it and replace it with a bracket like I used on my first build.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Worked on the tremolo today. Not going to know if it works right til I get some strings on it though. I have room to add another spring if it needs one.

Attached Files:

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I used a heavy duty door hinge, a couple of heavy springs, a Strat trem claw and arm.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Box is ready for paint.
    I'm in the middle of doing the frets now.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Dang it takes a long time to stain Red Oak. Getting the neck ready for Truoil and then I'll be painting the headstock and body.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Going to try painting in the afternoon if the whether allows.
    It seems that I'm out of 3-way switches. Since I have to get a switch, I'm thinking about getting a 4-way Grigsby instead.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Painted today, will post pics when it dries.

This leads me to 2 complaints about Krylon Glitter Blast.
    1. Cans are very small and cost 7 bucks a piece.
    2. They don't have consistent spray results.

I bought 2 cans, which I thought would be enough. I attempted to try 1 can on a piece of scrap. The spray button stuck on the first depression and wasted the entire can, which left me depressed and ticked off.:(:mad: the second can was enough to cover everything for a first coat. Hopefully, I won't have to go out and buy another can for a second coat. Some cans that I have bought in the past have either sprayed dry/clumpy or very wet with little glitter. This last can did both of course.
    I think this will be the last project I use the Glitter Blast on.:rolleyes:

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Paint turned out good, no need for a second coat. I'll be spraying the clear later.
    Here's what it looks like before the clear.

Attached Files:

11. MezesM

MezesM TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Hungary
    I've always loved this kind of 'unusual' projects, this one is turning out really nicely IMO :)
    How would you wire up the pups with the 4-way switch?
    I thought spray cans were the easier way to apply glitter compared to other methods. Now I'm a bit insecure, but i'll avoid this brand for sure when spraying my tele build in the upcoming days.

12. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Sparkle cigar box - genius.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.
    The P Bass pups come wired together in series like your typical double coil humbucking pickup, so by cutting that wire into 2 separate single coil pups, I'll wire them to the 4-way switch like you would with a Tele.

The glitter blast has given me problems, but there are other brands that might work better.

Attached Files:

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The P Bass pups are reading at 4.2k for the bridge and 4.1 for the neck. So I'm thinking these will do well together in parallel or series, but they may be weak in single mode.
    Oh well, I shall find out.

16. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    sweet!

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks, really liking your Coca-Cola Caster.
    Maybe I could call this one the Sprite.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Moving right along. I got the neck finished and installed, pickups installed, bridge installed, strings on, got the input jack installed and I installed the volume pot. Got some of the wiring done.

Attached Files:

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Just needs the pickup switch, final wiring and put the back panel on. Then I can tune it and find out whether I need another trem spring or not.

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Used some old computer slot covers to make the neck plates. Had to cut the pickup adjustment springs in half to get the pups down enough to start dialing in the height later.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.