Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zepfan's CBG #2 build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Zepfan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I started my 2nd CBG build this week.

I have a box that was paper covered. I removed the paper(should've left it alone) because I read somewhere that it dulled the sound. I've heard paper covered CBG's and they sound the same. Also ditched the fiberboard top and cut one from 1/4 inch ply that I had.

I made the neck out of 3/4" x 1&1/2" Red Oak. I made a scarf joint for the headstock and added some 1 inch wings to carve later.

My plan is to make a 25" scale, 24 fret CBG with Pickups and a homemade tremolo.
    The pups will be P Bass pups mounting 1 in the neck and 1 in the bridge wired to a 3-way switch. I'm leaning towards a single volume pot(250k).
    Using a bone nut and a brass bolt for the bridge.
    I'm looking at making the trem out of a door hinge and a couple of springs.

Here's a few pics of the neck so far.

Attached Files:

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The scarf joint and wing addition turned out great. Was going to route a truss rod channel today, but I'm stuck inside because of the storms.

Got the holes cut in the box for my through piece support and glued a couple of support pieces in.

Other than routing the neck and installing the truss rod, I'm pretty much at a standstill til next week when I get to order parts.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Since this box is a cheapo and the paper cover's gone, I decided to paint it.

I have a can of this lying around. I think it'll look good with black hardware, ebony stained fret board and black pups.

Attached Files:

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Started on the trussrod channel today. Seems to be a problem with my router so I started hogging out material with my drill and a Forstner bit. Got half through with the slot before my arms started cramping.
    Dang nerve damage, but if I didn't have nerve damage I'd be at work and not have time to do this.
    Done for today, maybe I'll finish tomorrow.

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Great work, so far.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.

I found a 1 gallon gas can yesterday. I got ideas for a new build running through my head now. It never ends.:lol:

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got the trussrod channel finished and put the rod in. Glued and waiting to dry. Non-adjusting trussrod 3/8ths steel.

Attached Files:

9. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Missoula, Montana
    Love CBG's. Four string?

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Yes, it's a four string. I found a 4 string bone nut for Uke's on the CBGitty.com site. Going to give that a try.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Going to be working on the fretboard today. My plan was ebony stain so I was looking around the house for suitable white fret markers. How about a white plastic coat hanger, that will work.
    Got my router working, turned out to be a bad wall receptacle. So I'll start working on the backside of the neck and shaping the headstock. Haven't yet decided on the headstock shape.

12. banditt135

banditt135 TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2014
    West Virginia
    That looks great! I have built several CBGs. what are you using for the truss rod? I usually don't use one of its just 3 or 4 string.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Thanks.
    I'm using a 3/8ths steel rod for a non adjustable truss rod to keep it stable. Since the neck is Red Oak, it probably doesn't need one. But I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it.;)

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday, and probably not today either. Weekend looks good. I did get to order the pups, tuners and fret wire.

15. midget bar

midget bar Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    It is fun to watch these builds, but I would think that red oak neck would be fine with out a truss rod. Can't wait for the glitter.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I made a 28 inch scale neck out of Red Oak for my 6 string electric dulcimer 5 years ago. It also has a 3/8ths steel truss rod in it. It's still straight after 5 years and stays in tune.

Attached Files:

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got the fret markers in place and glued the fretboard on to the neck. It's all clamped up and waiting for glue to dry. When it comes out of the clamps, I can start sanding a slight radius on the board and work on the back of the neck.
    Glued a few supports in the box for the through piece and bridge support.
    That's all I can do for now.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Got the back of the neck carved and radius-ed the fretboard yesterday. Tuners and pickups arrived today so I'll be working on the headstock next. Then I'll be cutting holes for the pups. I'll post pics later.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Here's the pics for the neck before the stain goes on. Got the headstock trimmed out.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.