Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zenon Audition jag style guitar project

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Tatercaster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ

2. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Super cool axe!
    I call mine 'violet'. That's the stamp on the pots.

I have a '64 (?)

A little mellower ...

3. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC

It's a humbucker sized P90 (supposedly). I've tried it just slid under the strings and it sounds better than the black soap bars I had in there earlier.

4. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think it's a Dragonfire H90. It measures about 7.1k Ohms.

5. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I never meant for this project to be the never-ending, tone chasing, time robbing affair it has become. I'd like to just slap a pickup, pickguard and controls on it and play it.

6. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Selling the soapbars, buying some PAF's for a HSH setup with the H90 in the middle. Seems like the best way to resolve the pickup height issue.

With three humbucker rings, I could mount three Surf 90's if the guitar proves worthy. :)

7. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Maybe I could remove 1/4" from the bottom of the neck pocket? Would the body wood still hold?

8. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yesterday I drilled out the 3mm holes in the lipstick tube pickups so that a #6 wood screw would go through. I'm planning on mounting them directly to the body Jaguar style. I'm also thinking that I'm going to build up the body with some plywood scrap for a parquet floor look on the top. Rout and sand the edges and finish with a traditional tobacco burst finish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.