Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zenon Audition jag style guitar project

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Tatercaster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2007
    Spartanburg,S.C.
    I have an extra Tele Bridge pup I will send your way if you are interested. Be a good trade for the knobs. :) That way you could try it with the P90 neck.

2. dtermined2play

Apr 22, 2007
    Spartanburg,S.C.
    BTW, awesome job on the guitar, looks very cool.

3. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    That trade sounds good to me. I appreciate it, and I've been meaning to get to the post office and send those knobs. I keep getting side tracked. Tomorrow, for sure. Have to sleep now. 3rd shift can be a pain.

Thanks!

4. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I need to raise the surface of the body in order to get the pickups close enough to the strings. The P90's are pretty much surface mounted! The bridge pickup was at the surface and the neck was inlet maybe 1/8".

I'm planning a deeper rout to clear the mounting screws on the pickups I'm planning on trying, maybe even going with a swimming pool rout and a thick wooden or metal pick guard to raise the surface. Or, I could stack layers of pick guard material to raise the surface.

I like the idea of multiple layers because I can turn layer 2 into access panels for the electronics. It would be nice to be able to pull the electronics without removing the strings. I've come to appreciate Leo's Jazzmaster and Jaguar for the ease of removing the control panels for access to the wiring.

5. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Got some cool new pickups to try...
    A Tele bridge pickup and two new lipstick tubes! :)

6. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Rotary switch placement? I might want to use a 6 way rotary to choose pickups. The upper bout might be ok for a tone control rotary switch. Alternate idea is to use a row of mini switches in the lower bout.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1395839790.129594.jpg

7. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Idea #1:
    Tele bridge pickup 6.8k, P94 style pickup middle 7.1k, neck soap bar 9K. 6-way rotary switch for B+N, B, B+M, M, M+N, N.

Idea #2:
    P94 bridge 7.1k, Tele bridge 6.8k in middle, Strat pickup 8k neck, lipstick tube 4k neck. 4 x SPDT mini switches.

Idea #3:
    P94 bridge, lipstick tube neck. 2P3T slide switch.

All have 1P5T rotary tone switch with low pass and high pass filters.

8. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Tried one of the lipstick tubes in the neck. Sweet! :) Not much output, but it sounds good.

9. dtermined2play

Apr 22, 2007
    Spartanburg,S.C.
    I think the black/chrome/black looks very cool. I know tele bridge and P90 neck sound great together. I used to have an SX tele set up that way that would run in series on a Push Pull Pot. If it didn't way a hundred lbs, I probably would have kept it. lol.

10. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I'm selling the P90's and I just bought two more lipstick tubes. The P90's aren't really what I expected; these are like noisy, ice-picky humbuckers, except they don't buck the hum!! The lipstick tubes are a better match with this guitar. The P90's might work ok on a LP Jr. or matched with a Tele bridge, but a matched pair they ain't.

Four lipstick tubes, four slider switches, a 250k or 100k volume pot, and a Vari-tone style tone control using a rotary switch I'm itchin' to put in something. That should be cool. I'm also going to make a 1/4" round tremolo bar instead of the flat metal bar; more comfortable.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

11. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Going for this look:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1396155055.004224.jpg

I also did some research on Dano wiring, and 100k was the standard volume pot value with a 1M tone control. Luckily, I have a full sized 100k Alpha pot I can use. Then I'll just need to rout the body for controls and pickups and make another pickguard.

12. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1396367720.002510.jpg
    I want to do a one piece pickup mounting ring like this with four lipstick tubes in it.

Oh, and the Tele bridge pickup rocks in this guitar! I've got it wired EVH style with a single 250k volume. Surface mounted. I may have to build an Esquire now. :D

13. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Swimming pool rout:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1397273704.616083.jpg
    New pick guard made:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1397273753.181481.jpg
    Went back and routed for new switch location:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1397273808.077646.jpg
    Laying it out:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1397273845.669519.jpg

14. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC

15. triplefg

triplefg TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Grande Prairie, AB
    Nice. I'm liking the new layout much better - the lipsticks seem to suit the guitar better than the p90's. Hope you get the sound your looking for.

16. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    If it sounds anything like my Dano '59DC did, it'll be great. Actually even better, because it'll have that middle pickup. :)

17. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I still need to raise the pickups. I'll probably end up doubling or tripling the pick guard thickness by stacking layers of the flooring material until i get the height I want.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014

18. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Maybe a layer or two of 5mm ply painted black would make a good pickup ring?

19. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Switching gears yet again:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1401673681.859510.jpg
    This could possibly be the best solution to my pickup height problems. Then I'll have four homeless lipstick tubes, but a kick butt single pickup guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.