Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zenon Audition jag style guitar project

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Tatercaster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. triplefg

triplefg TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Grande Prairie, AB
    Nice! I'm working on a similar project, an old Zenon that was my dad's. Improper storage pretty much destroyed the guitar, and I binned the neck years ago - wishing now I hadn't. All I managed to salvage was the pick guard and electronics, but the volume pot is missing and for the life of me I cannot figure out how this thing was originally wired. I'm assuming it made perfect sense in 1960's Japan. ;)
    Gonna make some templates using big print and make a new body, but I will most likely use a tele style neck.
    Your build looks great - I love that GFS trem. Are you having any issues with the flat fretboard? Mine had no radius at all on it IIRC.

2. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    So, you have the original gold foil pickups? Cool! :) I have an original set of witch hat knobs, but they're chipped. The tremolo is a Teisco original, not GFS. The bridge is from eBay, I think it's a Schaller? The tuners are from my MIK Fender Strat (upgraded to Grover mini's), P-90's are from eBay.

The flat fretboard is ok, a little bit difficult to play bar chords up the neck, but easy to play lead. The tremolo is fairly stable, once it settled in. I think that has more to do with the tuners than the tremolo, the string wraps settling in around the tuners?

3. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Did a few things tonight. Hopefully fixed my output jack issue and shielded pickguard with aluminum foil. The sticky backing on the floor tile pick guard came in handy, no need to buy special foil with glue to shield my guitar. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

4. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    It's alive! It sounds awesome! And noisy. I guess I'm getting a lot of noise from the power lines from across the road. :( I noticed my pickups aren't noise cancelling when used together.

P90's are my new favorite pickup! Awesome tone, just wish they were noiseless. Great bluesy neck tone, and ballsy bridge pickup fer rawkin' hard! (Insert semi-toothless grin here)

5. triplefg

triplefg TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Grande Prairie, AB
    Nice! We need glam shots...

6. Buxom

Buxom TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2014
    DC
    Shield the body with copper tape.

7. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

there are stacked P-90 style pickups, like the Gibson P-100, here's some discussion on them.

8. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    The fling is over, I think. I really like the P90's, but I want a twangy, surfy sound out of this Zenon. I'm either going to use the two Strat pickups I have in my parts box, or I'm going to buy several lipstick tubes off eBay to mount in this guitar.

Three lipstick tubes with slide switches would be cool and surfy and funky cheap chic too. :)

9. TheHoneyMonster

TheHoneyMonster Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2013
    UK
    GFS Surf 90's may just fit the bill for your SCOTS needs

10. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I'm leaning toward the lipstick tubes, three or four of them. The strat pickups I have will need to be angled in order to fit the pole pieces under the strings. I'm thinking that the lipstick tubes will work mounted straight across the body in four places.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

11. TheHoneyMonster

TheHoneyMonster Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2013
    UK
    the tubes would make it look more 60's japanese 4 of them more so :D

12. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Just bought two lipstick tubes to play with. There was a deal where I could have bought five for $46.55, but I think I can get two now and see if they're what I'm looking for, then get the other two after these are installed. :) $10.34 each, 1.05H, 3.73k Ohms.

Now, what do I do with the P90's?? :confused:

13. triplefg

triplefg TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Grande Prairie, AB
    Oooh, too late. I was going to suggest the GFS Brighton pickups. Those things are just begging to be put in a vintage japanese guitar. No idea what they sound like, but they sure look the part.

14. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I want the Brighton's for a Strat, but they're out of my shoestring budget for now.

15. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I swapped out the output jack for a normal one conductor type and changed the volume to a 1M, and lowered the action a bit and now Zenon sounds better, but still darker than I want for a surf guitar. Nice tones, but I've already got two other guitars with humbuckers that can get about the same sounds.

So, two 8k+ Strat pickups, or four ~4k lipstick tubes? The lipstick tubes will be more unique, the Strat pickups would be more like a Jaguar. I might try mounting the Strat pickups with washers and wood screws and checking the tones I can get until my lipstick tubes arrive. I'll have to make a frankenstein pickguard for testing. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

16. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I'm bonding a bit more with the P90's, but still have to try other pickups in this beast. I'm looking forward to the day my lipstick tubes arrive.

17. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Burned up a switch soldering a series/parallel scheme:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1394903095.402622.jpg
    It will only switch the neck pickup in or out of the circuit. Bummer.

18. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thinking about gutting it and starting over on the electronics and pick guard.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

19. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Found these in my parts box:

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1395063778.916042.jpg

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1395063799.855266.jpg

They look robust enough, I just have to figure out how to attach them to a plate so I can mount them. Double sided tape? Plastic bracket?

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1395064037.024637.jpg

20. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I tried a Strat pickup in it today, much more twang than the P90's. I like the P90 in the neck, great for blues and swing. The Strat pickup would be good in the bridge, but I already have an SSS strat. I'm debating on maybe simplifying and going with a single P90 in the middle, but I've already got lipstick tubes on the way. I'll have to try them all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.