Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zenon Audition jag style guitar project

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Tatercaster, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Got my hands on a Zenon Audition guitar body and neck. Tune-o-matic style roller bridge, vintage Tiesco bridge, tuners off my Korean Strat, etc. I'm trying to decide on a scheme for the electronics. I bought two P90's from eBay and I also have two strat single coils from a Samick strat copy.

2. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    You mean one of these? I used to have one as a kid. Still got the goldfoils!:D

Attached Files:

3. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    That's the one! 'cept mine is just the body, neck, and tremolo. I'm going to rout for soapbars and wire them in series with on/off rocker switches. Probably use a 1M volume, maybe a tone switch too. The fretboard is totally flat, might be good for blues bends and slide guitar. :)

I've got pieces for one gold foil, but I'll have to wind it and pot it myself. Might make a cool middle pickup one day...

4. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Got the pickups mounted now, but they're low. I only routed 1/4" deep and they're like 1/2" away from the strings! :eek: I might have to fill in some under the neck pickup, going to have to fill it all back in under the bridge! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Need to fit the pickguard, set the string height correctly, wire it and string it.

5. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I made shims to raise the pickups today, looks about right. I need to cut holes in the pickguard now to clear the pickups and then I'll be ready to wire it.

6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I'm following this project with great interest!
    I've got a very similar project that I want to get finished in the next few months.
    [​IMG]

7. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Elvis Costello plays one in the DVD "Club Date"!

8. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    I'm liking the look of this!

9. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    Yup-this is the model I used to have-the three pickup model. Unfortunately, it was unplayable-the strings were about 1/2" off the fretboard, and there was no trussrod-just a piece of 1/4" square tubing buried under the fretboard. I should have kept the whole thing, but at the time, I hated that thing with such a passion that I destroyed it upon getting an actual, playable guitar.

Attached Files:

10. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    One man's trash is another man's treasure?

11. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Just ordered some rocker switches off eBay for pickup switching. She'll have two P90's in series when both pickups are active, as well as a rocker switch for a high-pass filter so I can get some Jaguar-esque tones as well as the fat, creamy P90 tones.

12. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Wiring Scheme

I worked up the following after ordering the switches:

Attached Files:

13. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Worked of the pickguard today. I'm using a piece of black plastic I got out of packaging. But I messed it up! :( Look at how far the bridge pickup is off center. I guess I'll start over with plexiglass so I can mark the holes and see where everything goes.

Attached Files:

14. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    Actually it looks like the bridge holes are off center.

15. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I can see how one would think so, but the whole pickup rout in the pickguard is skewed.

16. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    My switches arrived a few days ago, nice looking rocker switches like DiPinto uses on the Galaxie IV, only mine are black, not red.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

17. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Make a cardboard template first and you'll be good to go

18. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Got started on another pickguard today. This one is made of floor tile that looks like marble.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

19. Tatercaster

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    Got the neck pickup installed:

Attached Files:

20. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Cool project. I have a similar jaguarish Supro Lexington body & neck project I need to get to work on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.