Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zen and the Art of Guitar Finishing/Re-finishing

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Bones, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    What is the key to staving off boredom and frustration during a finishing/re-finishing project.

I started this project a couple months ago, finishing a new neck and re-finishing a body that will eventually go together and become an Esquire.

The end game is a relic, but I still want to start with a well done finish on both the guitar and neck and I'm almost there, but it's been a struggle keeping my head in the game. It just seems endless at times and sometimes i look at all the parts and get the urge to slap it all together and get on with it.

So what's your method of dealing with drying and curing times and other frustrating things like blemishes that must be dealt with?

Is it better to have several projects going in various stages so that you always have something to work on or do you just use the down time to play the guitars you already have?

I'm usually good at rolling up my sleeves and keeping my nose to the grind stone, but since I don't have a shop with dedicated space for guitar projects, I often have to totally set up and breakdown my work area so life can continue around here while nitro dries and cures. Basically, I find the whole process more of a frustration than a challenge.

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Steady as she goes, Dr Bones. You answered your own question nicely; double down on playing time and start a new project. It feels like frustration, but maybe it's really excitement, about seeing this one all relic'd up and ready to go. Time flies, it won't be long 'till you are up to your elbows in wet sandpaper. Practice your relicking techniques on scraps and spare parts. Take some photos of birds, while you're at it, let's see some pics of the guitar project.

3. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY

If I took photos of my guitar projects, I would NEVER get done.:confused:

Blue Bill likes this.

4. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Switch to shellac? 5 min drying times are very ADD friendly.

5. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I used tinted shellac on the neck, very hard to get a good coat on the edges of the headstock, spent a lot of time respraying after buffing through the color.

6. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    I've personally found wiping shellac works better than spraying. No runs. No drips. No overspray. Thinner coats that almost flash dry, and you can re-coat so quickly.

Not the way to get a perfect, thick mirror coat. But if you want great color, some shine, and have it still feel like wood, it's ideal. And it's FAST. After final sanding, two days of coats and it's done. Give it a day or two to be super safe, and play it!

7. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I know what you mean! On this one, after buffing through the tint the third time, I got frustrated and just left it that way. You can see it, on the bottom right of the photo. It doesn't bother me. Well, maybe a little. DSCF0049.JPG

cmclayton101, nervous and Bones like this.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Use that area as a place to keep your burning cigarette, tucked under the high E string while playing. The eventual burn will easily cover up that blemish! :eek: :p :D

Great logo, BTW! :cool:

Just Sprayin'
    Gene

Blue Bill likes this.

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Nice Fendah you have there. :)

Blue Bill, you could touch up those spots with a que-tip, just enough to darken them some, and the improvement would be substantial. If they bother you. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Blue Bill likes this.

10. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

One of them really small art brushes dipped in tinted laquer you can sometimes fill in the blem. need to go over it a few time to get the colour depth right and dont get it on the already tinted finish. Worth having a go at if you cant live with it but you always run the risk of making a ugly mess.

Blue Bill likes this.

11. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    As far as the blemishes go, it's important to remember that if you notice it now, it will probably only bug you more once you've completed it. As far as patience goes with slapping all the parts on there, well, as my current re-finish thread demonstrates, I caved and just slapped it all on there. I'll take it all off next summer and resand and buff if I need to.... :D

12. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Bonsey, looks like I hijacked, and then killed your thread, sorry, man. :oops:

13. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    I know that "Fendah" was a Maine thing.
    Now back to out regularly scheduled program.

I too run out of patience in refinishing projects. The set up and cleanup every time is a motivation killer.

Are you able to keep the materials together in one box between working sessions?

14. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I get overwhelmed juggling too many projects. My brain tends to bite off more than I can chew. Trying to quell the desire to focus on 1 or 8 projects is where I usually go wrong.

I agree on setting up & tearing down. Buzzkill.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.