Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zebrawood Tele build

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by adrianmonroe, May 3, 2012.

1. adrianmonroe

adrianmonroe TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Washington
    Hey all. So this is my first guitar and I'm using Zebrawood. If i had done more research on woods before starting the build i probably would have only used a Zebrawood veneer :neutral: but as it is im doing a solid body zebrawood body with a Roasted maple neck with rosewood fingerboard by USA Custom. My question is what would you guys recommend using to finish the zebrawood? I'm assuming i will need to use some sort of grain filler as well. I'm looking for a glossy clear coat look. Suggestions on both finish and filler? Remember first time build. Thanks!

2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'll chime in on this. Let me say that for a first build, I would stick the nice zebrawood on the shelf and get at least one under your belt first. As far as finishing zebrawood, you can shoot whatever you want over it. It likely won't need much if any grainfilling. If it needs it, you can use Z Poxy finishing resin. I personally really like the Target Coatings water based finishes.

3. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    You definitely need grain filler on zebrawood. Zpoxy might work well.

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I agree with skipjackrc4! I made this body for someone a number of years ago, zebrawood cap on ash, the zebrawood required almost as much filler as the ash. But it came out quite nice. Not crazy about the guitar, but it wasn't for me!
    [​IMG]

5. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Solid body Zebrawood? I think you'd better start looking onto a wider strap!

6. adrianmonroe

adrianmonroe TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Washington
    Well the body is already under construction. Luckily I have a pro working with me on carving the body. I'm using tru-oil for the finish and havnt quite figured out to grain fill or not. I keep hearing both sides from very reliable sources. I think I may just go with wet ironing the wood to raise the pours, sand it down, then apply layers of tru-oil. I am on a timeline so this might be the easiest way. Thoughts?

7. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2003
    DC 'Burbs
    Just use medium viscosity CYA glue for your pore filler (yes you can get it at Home Depot), I've been using it to clear pore fill for well over 10 years now, nothing better out there for what you're doing.

I just pore filled a Paduak sandwich body (Paduak has very deep pores in it) front, back and sides in one day, it's now level sanded and I just shot the first lacquer clearcoat on it tonight, looks great as usual.

I use a wide putty knife for the first coat, pushing it in as I go, wait ~hour for it to dry, level-sand it back once, do a re-coat either with the putty knife or sometimes with a black foam brush, level sand again when dry, done deal within an hour or two.

I usually use the foam brush to apply it to all the sides as well, I have not found a better pore filler anywhere in all these years.

Be quick, be neat, don't slop it around or leave any more than needed on the surface, work it on a nice dry day outdoors, and don't get your fingers stuck together, haha!

8. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2008
    Atlanta
    In case you're wondering, CYA is super glue - usually called CA for cyanoacrylate.

9. twick

twick Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2011
    Tallahassee Fl.
    I got to play a custom shop strat back in the eighties that was solid zebra wood. I think it was built by phil kubicki (sp). It was a bit heavy but still on of my all time favs. It had a nice smooth finish. Great guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.