Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

You're not as dirty as you think you are.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by atomfissure, May 16, 2017.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    First thought to me... Where was the mic?

A lot of the time if you close mic, the tone is much dirtier than you anticipate. This is one of my struggles with recording our live gigs. What I hear on stage and what the audience hears is so much cleaner (which I like) than what gets recorded.

Hence the commonality of the two mic setup in the studio.

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed, I have found the same with a lot of Ritchie Blackmore's stuff. Now, when doing Rainbow etc live, I just hit the front end of the amp, with the guitar turned up to max.
    I started off using OD, and it was okay, but didn't sound right.

3. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Many local guys I see have so much gain and reverb that they disappear in the mix. The more seasoned players play much cleaner and cut through way better. I saw a guy in a local cover band playing two boutique amps and he sounded just awful, like a cranked RAT through a small transistor radio. A doctor/dentist/lawyer in a band w his buds.

Axis29 likes this.

4. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    My favorite OD pedal is the KoT but, with my band it always sounds too clean!
    Now I use the Nova System overdrive and it sounds dirty enough for the style of music we play.
    I still prefer the KoT but not in that context.

5. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    "A doctor/dentist/lawyer in a band w his buds."

Wow, you could tell he was a professional just by his tone? I guess a "real" musician's tone can't ever suck? Danny Gatton, Albert Collins... (insert your worst tone pro musician here).

MilwMark likes this.

6. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    Guys with lower paying jobs have better tone pretty much across the board. Duh.

Colors likes this.

7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    I agree that tone is overrated. On stage, guitar players stand right by their amps and hear all these subtle differences. The people in the audience hear the singer and the drums mostly. Most of them recognize the sound of "electric guitar" – nothing more.

dlew919 likes this.

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    So, you've never seen Danny live, then? LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Danny sounded incredible live... I saw him on several occasions and bad tone would never have been a way I would have described him.

Albert was incredibly loud... I was surprised by the fact that his (recorded) ice pick tone didn't actually sound that ice picky live.

9. Tonemonkey

Man! You need to turn your amp up!!

10. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    My example in my studio days was Black Sabbath. If I thought the guitars were too gain-y, I'd get the guitarist(s) in the control room and ask them to imagine the guitar sound on "Iron Man." Then I'd play it for them. The look of sudden understanding on their faces was almost always priceless.

11. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I once played in a band where everybody was an air traffic controller, a lawyer, or had a real estate license. We were good but not serious. We got better when after some personnel changes we had a janitor and a guy who worked in a tire store.

12. Tonemonkey

I need a bin man (garbage collector) ...... Our rhythm section needs tightening up.

GearHund and Axis29 like this.

13. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I feel like I always sounded dirtier on a recording than I think I do at the time. Many times have I listened back through a recorded show and immediately turned my gain down the next time I plugged in. And that's just with a Blues Driver. I'm not a "clean tone" guy at all, but I usually think the recordings sound muddier than what I hear when I'm playing.

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas

Odd. That hasn't been my experience. With rare exception, what I hear on recordings is very representative. The only thing sometimes missing are the fine details.

15. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    This.

So much time wasted while donkey in other band fiddles with overdrive pedal for no discernible difference off the stage.

16. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I wish my Girlfriend was dirtier than I thought she was....

Axis29, Chicago Matt and AngelDeville like this.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    So... we should all play Affinity Teles into Gorilla amps because no one in the house can tell the difference?

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    No, but there's a set of diminishing returns.

boris bubbanov and MilwMark like this.

19. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Ok, could have been a hedge fund guy. One of the boutique amps was a PRS, and one of his guitars was a PRS, hence my stereotyping. All in good fun. Main point is even a silk purse can be made to sound like a sow's ear.

dlew919 likes this.

20. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    There is, but I would submit that the player is the ultimate arbiter of that equation. I know I always play better when I'm satisfied with my gear, and when I'm not I get distracted by thinking about how I can fix the thing that's bothering me. Drunk people dancing won't be able to tell the difference between a DS1 and a Klon, but your bandmates will definitely notice if you spend the gig in la-la-land, futzing with your crap.

Epiglottis, nathanteal and dlew919 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.