Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your thoughts on a 24" scale?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MTguitar, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2008
    Montana
    I'm thinking about getting one of the Squier Jaguars. I "need" a guitar with 'buckers for playing heavier stuff and saw one those in a store the other day. I want to stick with a Fender-style neck (I have an Epi LP and can't get used to the neck quick enough when I switch from my Tele).

The only thing is, I've never really played on a 24" scale before. My hands aren't overly huge and my fingers are pretty skinny. I think I would like the 24" scale, but...???

2. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2010
    Canada
    My 23.5" scaled guitar is what I play most. I have decently big hands and my fingers aren't skinny, but I'm also a newbie and this size scale at least seems to be "easier" to play on at the moment.

I can't think that you could go wrong with it, but it is significantly smaller and you may feel a bit cramped based on your preferences and what you are used to. Hopefully you can get some more knowledgeable feedback on this too.

3. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2009
    London, England
    I love the 24.76" scale (or whatever it is). It doesn't have quite the snap my Tele has but it does add a sweetness that my Tele will never be able to achieve. For blues and rock a shorter scale length just feels and sounds unparalleled (to me). Now, maybe this is because mine it a 535, but I can get this slow-bloom on notes and bends that are just out of this world.

GO FOR IT!

4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Dec 26, 2010
    Fhvn ma
    I just built a 24&3/4 scale tele. Conversion neck from warmoth used. (so you just bolt the neck on, no routing or bridge moving). Throw some quarter pounders in there and rip away...

5. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2010
    Canada
    Awesome, I was thinking about trying one of those Warmoth necks for my first Tele build; 24.75" would be right between my 23.5" and 25.5" guitars. It says they are 22 fret only though, does that mean there is overhang? I couldn't figure out what the heel end of the fretboard would look like.

6. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah..why NOT :lol: I just played a new Squier Thinline yesterday at practice that our singer brought in to play for the day...sweet...fast action ;)

Also..those new VM modified Jazz and Jag guitars are AWSOME from Squier:eek:

7. santa354

santa354 TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2011
    New York USA
    I have a tele, Gibson 339 and a jag. Its way easier to push down the strings and bend. But I've never found it hard to play a chord or anything because of the scale. It may also just be the neck shape of the Epi? The jaguar neck is fendery to me so that may solve the neck feeling issue.

8. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I can say that string bends on my SG are a bit easier than on my Tele Hot Rod. Past that, not much difference for me as long as the neck is fatty.

9. titaniumslide

titaniumslide TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I brought my MIM Classic Player Jaguar (24" scale) and my short stubby fingers to our Friday night jam, it was really fun to play this guitar, there was a short time where it felt a little odd and then it was like being home. It did not make me play better however, but I seemed to be more comfortable playing it and Holy Crap it sure like playing with the pedals. My Jaguar is the two single coil model, they (FMIC) say that these are hot pickups, but I found them to be very clear and clean when played without any drive through a Blues Jr.
    I'm sure that humbuckers will give you loads of power for that heavier stuff.
    Good Luck
    Scott

10. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    I honestly believe that UNLESS you're addicted to Bar Chords it really doesn't matter in the least.
    I personally hate, despise and loathe Bar Chords and feel they impede one's progress at finding oneself.
    Apologies to Johnny Ramone but's that how I see it.

11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    I really enjoyed my Jag-Stang's neck... I replaced that guitar with an SG which has a better neck for lead, but it's not as much fun as the JS's 7.25" radius for chord work.

I think the new Squier's might be 9.5"...?

12. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

Aug 20, 2003
    South Dakota
    My Jag HH is a great playing guitar and very easy on the wrists.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.