Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your Signature Guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by flowwrito, Apr 12, 2016.

1. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Mar 10, 2011
    glasgow
    My sunburst highway 1 tele but with a zero fret.

2. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Nice! Can I ask, how does this compare to a Tele in terms of feel?

After a little away time I just jammed on my Tele for a couple hours and remembered that, though I am seduced by the curves of the offset body, I'm really a Tele guy (aren't we all?!). I'm always going back and forth between a Telemaster/Jazzcaster build or a full fledged Jazzmaster.

3. Will Swim

Will Swim NEW MEMBER!

Apr 13, 2016
    Folsom, CA
    Yep, Nicholson is a great place. I've been there quite a few times in the last month. The senior Nicholson worked on my D-35 about 20 years ago. I brought in some ivory I picked up in Alaska and he made a custom nut and saddle for me. He also put Electronics in it and I've never heard another acoustic that sounded so good. You can't tell the difference between the sound when it's plugged or unplugged. He did an amazing job matching the amplified sound to the original sound. D-35's have such a full sound, heavy on the bass sound and I've never heard one sound so close to the unplugged sound. I went through a three year college course for sound engineer and recording. With all the fancy stuff and pricey mics the college had they couldn't get a better sound recording from that guitar than the sound it had by just p!ugging it in and running it through a good direct box. They've given me a lot of help figuring out how these guitars go together. I highly recommend Nicholson's.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    My dream boogie machine

Neck - Stock Danelectro 3021 unfinished
    Tuners - Sperzel lockers
    Body - Danelectro 3021 with a blue flame veneer and top F hole
    Pickup - Single bridge type lipstick with 1V1T mounted centrally
    Bridge - Telecaster half bridge with full width compenstated saddles
    No scratchplate
    Jack socket combined with strap pin.

5. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I've posted this a few times, I just built my "signature telecaster". Roasted maple neck with SS frets 10"-16" compound radius, transparent deep blue nitro over black swamp ash body, Gotoh side relief adjust, esmeraldo green Prima Dust Devil pickups (9.05 bridge, 8.0 neck), Callaham bridge with compensated brass saddles, Gotoh vintage tuners, Glendale neck plate, bakelite 5 hole pickguard, two string trees, electrosocket jack plate. Currently has standard wiring but I may go to a 4-way switch.

IMG_6351.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Obsessed likes this.

6. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    jaguar.jpg
    Just whipped this up on offsetguitars.com/dressingroom (btw, someone really, REALLY needs to do a Telecaster version) and this would be my Signature guitar: the "Hellocaster Jaguar" lol.

LordByron, TheletterJ and Obsessed like this.

7. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    Baritone 12 string.
    A sort of a blend of Veillette and Carvin AE seires with a Ric-style headstock
    2 humbuckers
    Piezo and buffer
    Coil tap switches
    Blend pot
    Acoustic style bridge
    Semi hollow with an f hole
    A lifetime supply of batteries and strings.

Hey, let's dream big.

8. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    There is a Tele version at
    http://www.usacustomguitars.com/virtual-guitars/

There is also a virtual guitar modeler at a website nymphusa.com . I find I have to do a Google search and click the link or I get a sign in page.

9. BeniBaja

BeniBaja TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Ocean City, MD
    They don't call me BeniBaja for nothing
    [​IMG]

10. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I found mine purely by accident one day, while shopping amps:
    [​IMG]New Guitar Day: Novo Serus J in Sonic Blue by ByronMGSanford, on Flickr

Amilfitano P-90s
    Mastery Bridge and Tremolo
    Bone nut
    Tempered pine body
    Tempered maple neck

It plays like a dream and sounds better than one! :)

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That is a pretty specific set of specs weezer, have you put this together and determined that it is the final rendition?
    I would note that you don't need or want an F spaced HB in the neck position, because the strings are only spaced wider than a Gibson HB spacing at the bridge, the string spacing is narrower at the neck and a F spaced pup will not line up with the strings there.

Mine would be pretty simple- over the years I've put together a ridiculous range of multi pickup crazy switching manic Strats, and eventually concluded that I preferred one perfect pickup and nothing else.
    So my sig would be almost any vintage spec Esquire, swamp ash body but RW or maple board with any radius, extra jumbo frets, and the switch wired with a .0047 cap in the neck position, a .01 cap in the middle position, and the tone control removed from the circuit in the bridge position.
    I'm also pretty happy with just vol and no tone control, but the tone switching can be handy too.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Les Paul Standard.
    60's neck.
    Chambered.
    Available in Black, and Wine Red only.
    Plain top only.
    Creme parts and binding.
    Nickel hardware.
    Grover tuners.
    Gibson '57 Classic neck.
    DiMarzio Air Classic bridge.

Done.

13. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2010
    Louisiana-USA
    I'd like to think mine is waiting in a dank, dusty pawn shop somewhere... waiting for me to claim it

14. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm very happy with 3 guitars right now, my '52 RI Tele, '65 RI Jazzmaster and '61 SG Special. I'm not even looking at other guitars anymore, in fact I'm thinking of flipping some. But if I was going to get a custom built signature guitar I think a Firebird with Dog-eared P-90 pickups would be the ticket. The only question is 2 or 3 pickups.

15. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    That's amazing. i used to have something very similar but I ended up adding neck HB and a guard. Yours is perfect the way it is, though.

16. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Oct 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I always think of this when these threads come up ;)

[​IMG]

Mine would be a 62RI Jazzmaster with a Mastery bridge and witch hat knobs, maybe something funky like a mini humbucker in the neck position. I already have one that's 95% there. It is such a great guitar. The 62AVRIs in my opinion are one of the best deals in modern guitars.

[​IMG]

TheletterJ likes this.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Tele:

CAR double bound body
    Bridge Humbucker, Neck Firebird pickups (Lollar?)
    White Pearl Thinline style pickguard
    Flame Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard
    Mini Schaller tuners with pearl buttons

Les Paul:

Historic '56 platform
    Transparent Red over light flame top
    Humbucker at the bridge, P-90 at the neck
    Bigsby Vibrato
    Locking Tuners
    Pigtail bridge
    Old growth wood, at least 60 years old, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard
    Thin Nitro Finish

18. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    The more I think about this the more I realize the Troy Van Leeuwan possibly already claimed my signature guitar.

I got bit by the Jazzmaster bug pretty hard, maybe it's just a phase?? The "rhythm circuit" is actually useful to me because I really only use two tones: neck pickup alone for lead and both pickups together for rhythm. I'd use that rhythm circuit opposite of its intent- crank it and use it for lead, set the primary circuit to the in between position with the volume rolled off, then install a more easily accessible toggle switch on top (like the TVL model).

Having never owned a JM I am leery about the bridge/trem system though. I guess I'd have to try it out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.