Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your pick for best $600ish humbucker guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BB123, Jul 16, 2011.

1. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Sep 10, 2009
    Texas

2. SxFxBryce

SxFxBryce Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2011
    Ireland
    Maybe a blacktop strat? I dunno, just any les paul i guess.

3. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Under $600? Ibanez Artcore series, AS semihollow.

4. DMAND

DMAND Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2010
    Luckytown - MA
    Check out an Epiphone Les Paul. Many models to choose from, a close approximation of a definitive humbucker guitar at a reasonable price.

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

If you're patient and vigilant enough, an 80's-90's Les Paul Studio might turn up at your price point, very nice guitar with a full-feeling (though not super chunky) neck, and decent pickups... but you gotta be patient...

The SG Faded CAN be a decent guitar, but I'd play several before committing to it-the QC is all over the map on that model, but a good one is pretty danged nice. I also have an Epi Dot, HUGE neck on that boy, but the stock neck pup can be quite muddy (changed for a GFS Mean 90, much better now!). If you can find the Dot Deluxe, grab that rascal and run-wish I could have bought that one instead of my current Dot... but then I only paid $150 for my Dot, so I guess I can't complain too loudly...

Franc Robert

6. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2008
    Ontario
    Some nice suggestions here. My choices, and regular players, are Godin LG and Ibanez Artcore. The Godin is stellar, stock, and that includes coiltaps. The Artcore is very good but might benefit from better pickups.

Peace, Mike.

7. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Apr 14, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    This is what I'm gas'ing for, $724. I just need to sell my Gibson ES135.
    [​IMG]
    If I was looking for Les Paul models I would go for the Epiphone Tribute Les Paul because they have Gibson 57 pickups.
    [​IMG]

8. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I can not beleive how much I love my Fender Jaguar HH.

The variety of sounds in this guitar trumps all i have (and I have a, ahem, few......)

I have barely put it down since I got it and seriousley recommend at least trying one out.

With coil split and coil split merge buttons/knobs the range of the humbuckers is great, pretty good tele to direct humbucker. Only sound i find i miss is a solid strat sound...

BUT i am not sure of the price over your way...

9. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2010
    Warrensburg Missouri
    PRS SE's are very, very good guitars. I'd play a few and see if they're your thing though. It's been my experience that you either love them or you don't. There aren't many people in between. I, personally, don't. I play them and think that they're great and then ask to try a Les Paul or SG. To me, they're great tools but have no "soul".

10. BB123

BB123 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2011
    Louisiana
    I think they're $800 new...could probably swing one used for 600, but I dunno how i'd get down with the short scale. Never tried one out before.

11. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    ESP makes a set neck solidbody with P-Rail pickups for about $600. Really, really, really nice, and versatile -- there are toggles to get the various P-Rail tones.

12. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2004
    Middle America
    If you can find a used one ...

... and they DO exist, I would check out one of the new Fender Pawn Shop series. I am SO diggin' my '72.

Peace.

13. dwmagpie

dwmagpie Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2011
    Durham, England
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar, Gibson LP Studio, Epiphone Black Beauty, Epiphone Sheraton spring to mind.

14. tehanallang

tehanallang Tele-Meister

I bought my SE One and now I want to sell it, less than a month in... I totally agree with the having no "soul" bit. Just don't "feel" it. That being said, I think they sound pretty wicked though...just not when it's in my hands. :p

15. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Straight out of the box, no mods needed, ready to gig, just tune-'er up and go?

Used Reverend guitar. Any model, any pickups.

16. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Mar 27, 2003
    +1 on Reverend, great guitars and a great value.

17. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Epiphone, there's plenty to choose from.
    And they're all pretty darn great. :cool:

18. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You can get a used DeArmond M-70, M-72 or M-77 for well under $500. they were offered for a few years after Fender bought Guild & are loosely based on the Guild Bluesbird. These guitars come with dual DeArmond Goldtone pickups. You won't want to swap them out, as they sound great. The build quality of these Korean guitars is great as well. Keep an eye peeled on eBay.

19. estano

estano TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2010
    cambridge ohio
    One of the blacktop series or pawn shop series

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.