Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your other interests / hobbies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fred Rogers, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I never heard of such a hobby. Very cool. Everyone gotta like that.

24 track likes this.

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Wild mushroom foraging, gardening, kayaking, hiking, cooking and eating.

Stubee, Obsessed, 24 track and 2 others like this.

3. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a compulsive personality, and will not start anything unless I can carry it through beyond its intended purpose, I loved scuba diving so I studied oceanography biology and became a professional diver ( at one point) I always loved the technical stuff electronics etc, so I became a touring sound guy , that led to me building my first studio, I love to repurpose things that were not intnded for a specific function and make them work, I'm always thinking and schemeing how to solve a technical problem , and sometimes the results are not what I expected, and others i surprize myself, I always loved airbrushing and often thought about airbrushing guitars , I used to paint 3-d models , and illustrations this is how I relax, right now I'm repairing a 27" Imac with a bad graphics card , I had it on all last night and it still is working fine I'll give it one more day then returnit to the owner.

here's a few of my airbrushings I did , I may have posted some earlier

P1011711.JPG P1011780.JPG P1011776.JPG

4. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    As you can tell from my LOGO Picture i fish a little. Some would say more than a little but not as much this year as in prior years. I tool up this new thing that takes my time playing guitar.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Finding oddball old vinyl albums. Listening to old vinyl on our big stereo with the wife.

Making custom graphics for this guitar

[​IMG]

Also, making custom album art/graphics for each of the over 20thousand songs in my archive of other artists' music I've bought. Then playing it on my big tablet while it bluetooth streams to the car audio.

Thats probably the very definition of nerd-dom.

No, I'm not anywhere NEAR finished making a separate image for each song.

Playing Borderlands and Diablo 3 with my daughter.

Avoiding yard work.

24 track, Fender427, tery and 3 others like this.

6. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana

7. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    There are other hobbies? Unbelievable.

8. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    quit golf and hunting years ago and started flying cessnas. Got my ticket in 1997. That got way to expensive after 911 .
    built an offset smoker on a trailer and started competing in BBQ cook offs with the wife. Goes well with the drinking hobby also. The wife is a winning pit master in her own right now. we both enjoy it so we are always together (shes really my best friend) and we have met so many great people and made lots of friends. We have won money but we have spent WAY WAY more that we have won. We'll be competing at a county fair in Seguin this weekend.

Heres a article about my wife from last years cook off.

http://seguingazette.com/news/article_ba2a26f0-89d8-11e6-8d93-87ad4d167bf8.html

SolidSteak and tery like this.

9. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I used to play a ton of racquetball ran a few 10ks. I like to write and have a book on Amazon. Also investing.

Mechanic, 24 track and Ooba Tooba like this.

10. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Well, Gaming is my longest hobby, starting when I was a kid with Rack-O and moving forward from there.

Now (the shelves are in order now which left four of the squares open, which are now full and I have a couple more squares of games on the table):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next longest hobby would be motorcycles. Back in the 70's I started off with a 250cc and have advanced to two main bikes. Touring on the bikes didn't start until I got back on in 2001.

Hayabusa and Bryce Canyon Utah:

[​IMG]

Concours and the Redwoods in California:

[​IMG]

Next longest would be computers. Been hacking code, assembling computers, and learning new stuff since 1980 or so. Current rig:

[​IMG]

I enjoy woodworking and have been doing stuff with wood for years. Over the last few years, I've been getting better with my projects.

[​IMG]

And of course the gaming table in the first pictures.

The last few years I've gone hiking, snowshoeing, and skiing but I'm not sure I'd consider that a hobby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At one point we had bees but that didn't end well (technically they were sold when my ex walked away but it's a good picture :) )

[​IMG]

I'm not sure I'd consider reading a hobby but if so, I've been reading since I was a kid :) and have read voraciously since then. I'm in the middle of a series of books about St Mary's and Time Machines which is pretty good if a bit light.

And I like taking pictures :D

Carl

11. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    I like Astronomy and looking up to the stars on a dark night.

The moon is very striking on the right night (not quite full so you get the shadows across the lunar mountains giving a sense of depth), but for me, going as far in as I can, just connecting the dots that are the different star constellations, with my sky map, realising that the star next to that star is actually 30.000 Light years further out, and it's just a trick of parallax - that's my thing.

On a good night you can see the Andromeda Galaxy which is 2.5 Million Light Years away. You can't see our own Galaxy (we are too close on an outer spiral arm), but you can see that Big Daddy Galaxy that is crashing towards us, soon to merge with us, around the time our own Sun runs out of fuel in a few billion years time.

It's just a faint blur. But a very definite faint blur, as opposed to looking like another star (when viewed with the naked eye), when you view it with a basic (but decent) Telescope such as I have.

To think that we have about 4 hundred thousand million (400,000,000,000) stars in our Galaxy, but Andromeda has about 10 hundred thousand million stars.

Once you have a half-decent Telescope (few hundred bucks) and some decent star/sky software (free or only a few bucks for full versions), you are ready to go out and gaze at the wonder of our local universe. Realise how small we are. Before going back inside because it's cold out there, firing up TDPRI, and arguing about whether the 3-way barrel design really does offer much improvement over a 6-way.

:)

Reggie77, Stubee, Obsessed and 3 others like this.

12. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    The photography in this thread and those of you that have said that photography is an interest of yours, has inspired me to start a new thread on the subject. I think you're going to like this one. Back in a bit.

24 track likes this.

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Bottle corker?

24 track likes this.

15. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I hit people with sticks. And make stuff. The making stuff stuff takes up a bunch of room in the house. I am not, however, into robotic glue guns. More like hydraulic presses and industrial process stuff. Lots of metal, some wood.

Currently, I seem involved in coaching youth soccer. Because they needed coaches and I'd at least played the game before.

And I'm contemplating some electronics manufacture.

I write software for money, but since my job is currently satisfying, I do rather little of it at home at present. It's good that I do it for money, otherwise, my free time would be taken up with it.

I also read a lot.

24 track likes this.

16. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    My other hobby is model railways. I used to be mad on trains when I was a kid but never had the money or room to build a decent layout. I'm building an N scale layout depicting the latter days of steam in Britain, loosely based on the East Midlands. I'm trying to build as much of the scenery and buildings from scratch rather than kits. It's a very relaxing and rewarding hobby.

Attached Files:

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    24 track likes this.

18. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    • Computer programming
    • Calligraphic lettering
    • Home weather station
    • Numerical analysis & data mining
    • ET & MPH drag race equations
    • Chordal jazz
    • Beam tube & pentode analyses

bparnell57 and 24 track like this.

19. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2003
    Oakland, Ca.
    I practice Aikido. I am a second-degree black belt (nidan) and have been practicing for 17 years. However, I've been playing guitar for 47!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.