Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your other interests / hobbies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fred Rogers, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    Besides being a guitarist/musician the wife and I enjoy metal detecting, antique hunting and nostalgia. We love all kinds of movies, but our favorites are cheesy old horror and sci-fi. Love the MST3K. I also love video games. I'm sure there is more, but can't think.

What are your other loves?

Dan R, Fender427, tery and 1 other person like this.

2. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    My family has gotten into bowling in the last year or so. We seem to enjoy it, no matter how bad our scores are!

3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Boy, my hobbies are too many: hunting with bow and gun, fishing fresh and saltwater (spinning & fly), boating, outdoor "work" like taking care of 3 properties from grass to brush to cutting firewood + painting, staining, cleaning, fixing broken stuff (too many machines to count)...I'm getting tired just thinking about it. Here's last week's bush hogging some kinda thick stuff, a few miles of it. And I hauled a tractor 810 miles to tackle that fun.
    IMG_7287.JPG

I also read, and try to pick up a guitar for awhile every time I'm not in the woods or at a camp.

callasabra, moosie, Fender427 and 4 others like this.

4. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    IMG_6028.JPG IMG_6029.JPG IMG_6030.JPG I had a word class antique level and inclinometer, and other hand tools collection for a long time
    IMG_6025.JPG IMG_6026.JPG IMG_6027.JPG
    But I sold them, and am interested in antique navigational instruments, astrolabes, sundials, equinoctial ring dials... but it's quite an expensive hobby for a man of modest means to really collect such pieces. I admire from afar, and use my income for more practical purposes

Doug 54, richiek65, Dan R and 8 others like this.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My problem is too many hobbies. Where to start?

Cross country skiing
    Ice climbing
    White water Canoeing
    Hunting
    Flyfishing
    Motorcycles
    Auto mechanics
    Writing
    Reading (mostly history)

Yup, I've been reducing my hobbies and try to resist adding more.
    Umm, yeah, I have never had time to watch TV. Now you know why.

tery likes this.

6. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    Weight Lifting and Reading Biography and History books

tery and troy2003 like this.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Photography, fitness, and guitar-related projects.

tery likes this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    songwriting, mandolin, piano, bagpipes, reading, hiking, biking, kayaking, the rare good horror movie

kicking ass

Dan R, OlRedNeckHippy and tery like this.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    half marathon--until I have my race in November, after which I expect I'll drop it like a hot rock! My feet are getting sick of this nonsense. Then I'll need another fitness-related project; might become somewhat of a bodybuilder...

donuts

tery and Lake Placid Blue like this.

10. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I have many also, Golf and sport in general, weight training, walking, record collecting, i had 20,000 at one time i like the rare progressive rock some had excellent tracks on them, i also collect many other things as well, also art, painting and drawing etc ,science, and also talking some say to much, good job i cant spell that well for writing on forums. lol!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

11. deep

deep Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2006
    Kathmandu, Nepal
    Photography, cooking, fitness.

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    I am not sure I understand the question :D

logankolarick and Dan R like this.

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've had many over the years. The two that have been sort of lifelong pursuits, although both with looooooong breaks over the years, have been guitar and photography. I was into both as a kid and a young man, put both largely aside for years while family and career took precedence, and came back to both once my kids were out of the house, and now in retirement.

But at various times I've been really into various other stuff, usually just for a few years each, but some have provided longer term enjoyment. I've been into various physical stuff at different times. I was a pretty hardcore basketball and tennis player as a kid - I was ALWAYS on one type of court or the other. I golfed some too, but never to the point of getting even decent at it. I was crazy into skiing for a while, and actually moved to a ski-town and ski-bummed (working on the lifts a few days a week, waiting tables and playing music at night) for a few years. Then when I was in my mid 30s I got insanely into bicycling and rode about 5000-6000 miles a year for about 15 years and then stayed pretty intense about it for another 5 years or so, just kind of falling away from it over the last 3-4 years. I've done yoga for about 20 years or so too, but just because of a balky back, not for it's own sake. I still work out a few times a week, but not for fun so much as just to keep from falling apart and to keep feeling good.

I was kind of a computer hobby-est for a while in the 80s too and did a lot of computer stuff professionally (I was just sort of the guy around the office who GOT it in the early days, when most people didn't), to the point that in the later 80s I had to make a decision to either switch careers into IT stuff or basically just get out of it as anything but an end-user/tinkerer and re-commit to my career as a town planner. I chose to stay with planning and never regretted it for a minute, although I continue to be fascinated with the advances in the tech world. I've always been a gadget loving guy and still am. Which works well with guitars and cameras and cycling, so it's always sort of there.

For a few years here and a few others there, I'd almost say the Grateful Dead was a hobby. I used to know a lot of GD statistics and was an avid student of Dead-Base. And had a boatload of tapes and did a lot of tape trading back before everything became available digitally and on-line. And I'd go see 'em whenever I could up until Jerry died.

I'm not much of a cook, but I got crazy into espresso at one point and that was a pretty consuming hobby too until I got to a certain level of having the right gear and knowing how to use it. And then it became less of a time consuming hobby, but I've had a great, plumbed in, espresso setup ever since and make great espresso every day for my wife and I and anyone who happens to be around.

But these days trying to get back to being a half-decent guitarist is my primary passion again. I've always had guitars around and picked em up from time to time, and even got semi back into it for a few months here and there. But this is about a year now and I have the time to really dedicate to it and so far, I'm digging it more than ever. With all of the stuff that's available online, I'm learning a ton of stuff I never knew and am getting a lot better rounded than I was when I played before. I'm not half decent again yet, but I have my moments of joy and inspiration and even an occasional few seconds here and there of actual beauty with it and, if I never get much better, that's enough.

Fender427 likes this.

14. Marcus M B

Marcus M B TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    London, England
    This is an interesting thread. It'll be nice to learn how many of the forum members engage their bodies and brains beyond guitar picking.

As for me, I have a healthy interest in bikes and bike maintenance. This is partly driven by necessity, as we are a family of four so we have a small fleet of vehicles of varying sizes and designs to keep in order. London is rich with bike mechanics, of course, but when I can I prefer to do the work myself because with varying levels of frequency it can be cheaper (always), quicker (often), and better (sometimes).

Then there's cricket. I used to be a real enthusiast, but then sort of forgot about it for twenty years as you do, when suddenly my son's interest restarted it all for me. Now I can find myself two or three times a week trying to play soft on the young children and trying to stand up respectably to the older children. And on real high days and holidays, we get to go to a match at Lord's, which is probably the finest day's entertainment that can be had without a guitar.

I also have an inexplicable interest in charity and junk shops. I have all I need, and no need for any more stuff, but there's something fascinating about the variety and oddness of the things you can find in there. At least half my clothes come from charity shops because there are things you just can't find in a normal shop.

Looking forward to hearing more...
    M

15. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Mostly smoking and drinking.

16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Kayaking, biking, hunting, camping, fishing to a lesser degree.
    I love farming too, but it's my job not a hobby.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Yea..camping,fishing,flea mkts,historical stuff

Fender427 and Obsessed like this.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I like to fish.
    I don't do it seriously.
    No boat, no lures, no fancy gear.
    I just find a likely place, stand on the bank or wade in, and let my wanderin' mind wander.
    I usually do it alone.
    I'm happy if they bite, or don't bite.
    I like to eat the fish I catch, usually bass, perch or catfish.
    I've never had a bad time fishing.
    I've loved it since I was 6.

19. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

I used to do Radio controlled warship combat.
    We'd build 1/144 scale models of warships launched between 1906 and 1946, arm with BB cannons , a pump for defense and battle away on shallow ponds and lakes.

I loved most everybody involved, a great group of folks and still friends with many.
    Search Yahoo groups for the club news group under IRCWCC. ( International Radio Controlled Warship Combat Club) or the official site:
    Www.ircwcc.com

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    don71, Rustbucket, Fender427 and 4 others like this.

20. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    they dont make them like they used to!, nice collection!

jvin248 and Ooba Tooba like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.