Your opinions about DiMarzio Area T pickups, please!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Royal Tele, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Flemtone

Flemtone Tele-Meister

of course that should read "just to SEE if it makes much difference"

2. James J LaRue

James J LaRue Tele-Meister

cool cool, yeah weather it's Henries, Impedance, Magnet strength, what have you, I do believe the Area Hot T is designed to be perceived as "louder" than the Area T (non-"hot"). I'll give it a tray though, after all there's no other noise free option from DiMarzio unless I route. THe only thing that concerns me is reports of the Area T neck PU sounding "authentic" because the stock neck PU on my genuine Fender Tele was muddy! (and no there was no vintage tone roll-off circuit on the switch) But it could just be that particular pickup, it's an MIJ Fender....

I'm gonna try it out!

Right now I got the stock 250k's in there...haven't switch the volume seems fine, the tone however is nice between 2 or 3 and 10, a usable range, then it totally sweeps to mud between 2 and 0. (I have the amp style knobs on there numbered 1 thru 10). SO I'm not sure if I should just get a 250k pot with a different taper, or a 500k pot or what...I don't need any more brightness,maybe I should taking a reading of the pot's resistance at "2" and solder in a resistor of that value in series, which would permanently put that much resistance between the cap and ground...though this may brighten it up some, not as much as a 500k pot I would assume...i dunno...

3. mulic3

mulic3 Tele-Meister

Great for noiseless. Tried only the neck pu - very warm sound, if that's helping.

4. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Any issues with Area T neck and 4 way switching?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a DP417 neck to pair up with my Area T 615, but regularly use a 4-way switch. Any issues running the separate cover ground on the neck pup, as well as 4-way/series mode (given these are in effect faux-buckers)??

5. Ahryn

Ahryn TDPRI Member

chose an Area T to pair with my Klein in the bridge. I wanted a neck pickup that was not trying to be a strat pickup but was also not trying to sound muffled under a brass cover. Noiseless so I have options and Alinco II because I have found that to be a very good neck magnet, very warm and laid back. from all I have seen I would not use the bridge version but the neck paired with nearly anything will be an amazing setup. I know I love mine.

6. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

People here telling you how noiseless pickups don't sound right obviously hasn't tried Kinmans. I've only tried the Areas in someone else's guitar. They sound slightly fuller sounding than most (but not all) traditional single coils do but in a very pleasant way. Could've been the guitar, honestly. I thought they sounded good.

7. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I’m currently back on Area T pickups in my Tele, maybe the third time now? (I’ll admit that my pickup swapping tendencies are ridiculous.)

I have the Hot T bridge and the standard neck (which is the only neck offering to date, I believe).

I’d agree that the output of the Hot T bridge is definitely stronger than the neck, but they can still pair well together. I love the “strong P90 almost PAF” tone of the Hot bridge. It’s very bold and ballsy, but still very much Tele bridge tone. I’ve got it set to be about 5/64” away from the strings (measured with E strings depressed at last fret). Then I have the regular Area T neck pickup set considerably closer at 3/64”. Since the neck pickup is already so clean and clear sounding, bringing it close like that doesn’t make it too muddy at all. In fact it is still incredibly clear. And the bridge pickup sounds like an aggressive Tele bridge. Great pairing for me.

My Tele is my only “single coil” guitar, while my others are LP’s, SG’s, and a 335. PAF’s all around with a Super Distortion in one LP. So having the Hot T bridge in my Tele helps it to “hang” with the other guitars just fine when it comes to swapping guitars—no perceived output/volume drops, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Put a set into my 68 tele after the neck p/u went south. Area T neck sounded so good for recording I put in the Area T bridge p/u also.

Neck p/u is way better than the original 68 ever was. Bridge p/u is not as hot as the original but the ice-pick sound is gone when the treble pot on the guitar is turned-up.

Maybe doesn't have the same feel, presence, dynamics, sound, whatever but works great, nobody in the crowd knows the difference anyways, price is good & didn't have to pay shipping as they were down the street in a retail store.

A bit hi-fi sounding I first thought at low volume but not obvious on stage at club levels. Love that silence...don't have to jump on the tuner between songs to cut the noise.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.