Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your house is on fire! Which one do you save: DR or TR & why?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Jimcord1, Jan 30, 2014.

1. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    Sell your twin to a friend. He'll eventually tire of the weight and want to sell it back to you. Maybe then you can afford it? :)

2. signine

signine TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2013
    SF Bay Area

3. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Apr 14, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Neither, I have my musical equipment insured.

4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    For me in your situation - it comes down to price and age of you. As has been said, that twin is easier to replace and might fetch $700 if it is in great condition-that deluxe is more like a $1000-$1200 amp in even good condition. Now if you are young and strong I would take the twin but once you get old its got to be the deluxe. I would take the deluxe because getting older and moving a twin is just not fun. I would try to buy the deluxe and try it out for a while then sell one if need be.

5. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2013
    Houston area
    I think the twin should survive being thrown out a window and give you time to carry the deluxe.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    I know we're just kidding around on this thread but:

The late '70s Twins come in a weak cabinet. It may be pine but they switched over to rabbet joints with staples in the corners instead of the nice '60s box joints. The fixed baffle is supposed to add strength because the '70s cabinet needs it. The bad news is even with the thicker chipboard baffle... 3/4" in the '70s opposed to the nominally 1/2" chipboard baffle of '60s amps... the Twin Reverb baffle breaks at the thin spot if the amp gets banged around. Stick a pair of EVMs in there. Then stick the amp in a road case. Now drop the amp in its road case. Take the amp out fo the road case. It may have a broken baffle and splits in the tolex where the joints let loose.

7. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2013
    Plainfield, IL
    Hey thanks muchxs- that's good stuff. Always glad to learn a little 'ounce of prevention' knowledge; I ususally find things out the hard way!

8. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2013
    Plainfield, IL
    (Sort of an) Update: In my OP, I said besides the either or option, the least likely (nuclear) option was a gear 'fire sale'; well that's what I opted for. I know I took a bath on the trade in 'value' on a lot of it, but I also made our pretty well on some of it b/c I picked it up on clearance/used to begin with. Most of the stuff I got rid of was all impulse buy stuff anyway, and amounted to a lot of bulk (read red flag) that tipped off the wife to my insanity. I kept my core 'non-negotiable' guitars/amps, and need to just put the others out of my head.
    Just didn't want to deal with shipping, waiting, strangers coming by the house etc. So I guess that's the premium I paid for just dumping a bunch of un-used but very cool gear.
    Got them to knock a hundo off the price too, so all in all, I feel like the net result is in the plus column. And if anyone tries to dispute that, I'll do the mature thing and put my hands over me ears and talk loudly over them.
    Something tells me 10-15 years from now, I'd be kicking myself more for passing on the DR, than I would about letting go of some cool VM Squires, (duplicate effect type) pedals, and practice amps.
    Plus upon closer examination, it's essentially all original, only thing that I could find was just 2 non-original screws holding the little 5in chrome strip/bracket on the top left of it, and a tiny bit of fraying, not tearing, of the grill cloth in one area, easy fix. Here she is:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

9. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2013
    Houston area
    Sorry muchxs. I was thinking too hard about my peavey lol.

10. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    Now that is funny.....:lol:

11. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2013
    Plainfield, IL
    Update part deux: went to get it after work today, and they said the mgr. 'had some news' for me?!? Mind racing, what gives??? Turns out, after they're vintage people reviewed a couple pieces of my gear, they actually bumped up what they were giving me in trade credit! Very pleased. Used the surplus to buy a Fender cover for it. Got home, and the stars continued to align: had the place to myself for an hour! VERY rare in my house w/2 teenagers and 'the warden'. Took full advantage of the time and got straight to it. Ran her thru her paces, clean, cranked, pedals, the works. High marks all around; only thing I haven't done yet is run the DR and the TR in stereo- that's gunna be a real zone out, delay pedal-chorus-verb-tremolo fest; gotta brush up on some Gilmour for that sesh! Anyway, pics to follow in the next day or two, when I can have a proper set up in some good natural light. Till then, think I'll sneak back down for some low volume 'testing'...

12. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    That's the toughest choice ever but it sounds like you made the right one. I love a deluxe reverb and I LOVE a twin reverb. Congrats on your new gear!

13. Myewgul

Myewgul TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2014
    St. Louis
    I have two hands don't I?

And what about a guitar? My amps pretty useless without one... :D

14. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2013
    Plainfield, IL
    That's assuming a '58 Tele's strapped to your back:eek:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

15. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I'm only going for amps if someone is already carrying my Martin and Gretsch.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I wonder if my latest TR maybe lost the coin toss at the last fire.
    Those speaker baskets are orange. :lol:

Attached Files:

17. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    Love those speaker leads, Bobby!
    :)

18. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2013
    Plainfield, IL
    Nice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.