Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your first guitar/amp/year and what do you have now

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by teleplayer99, May 27, 2017.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    1964-Aria Diamond hollow body electric with a Univox amp. Don't remember the model of the amp but it was a 12" combo, probably 10-15 watts. Went next to a Starfire III (cherry red) and a Teisco Checkmate 100 amp. First fender was a small cab Bandmaster. Tele came shortly after that. Too many to mention after that!

thegeezer likes this.

2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    My first guitar:an AGS , model POS but mine was in red, if it didnt have strings it would have been a flyswatter

AGS_zps2d3f579a.jpg

My amp was a teisco something and I built a cabnet for it with no tools( well a hammer and a screwdriver , it was a work of art and i was 12

now a days I have every concievable combination of stringed noise maker and louderators one could want

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    1975 I had a knock off of David Bowie's red Kent. Can't remember the make. It was rubbish I do remember that. The amp wasn't much better: a Univox 15 amp ss.

Now, my number one is my avatar: Ron Kirn through a DRRI with an Eminence Maverick.

4. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    My first decent guitar was given to my Dad by his friend. The friends son had stopped playing after a few lessons; circa 1970/71. It was a white fiberglass model with no name; which I found out years later to be an Oahu/Supro Dual-Tone. I plugged it into the "mic" input of a Dukane reel to reel, which had one 6x9 oval speaker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wildcard_35 likes this.

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    For electrics,

First:

A then-new 1974 Les Paul Deluxe and a then-new 1976 Vibro Champ two years later.

Now:

A 1956 Strat and a 1966 Deluxe Reverb.

6. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Creston BC
    I had a Peavy Predator guitar and for an amp it was a little Korg multi effects unit with headphones that when placed just right inside a ceramic jar skull thing it resonated a little more than just plain headphones cupped gently in a semi closed hand...

Today I have an array of LP's a Strat and I am now building and playing Teles mostly. I play through a PRS Archon, Blackstart HT20 and a Fender Bassbreaker 15 in Wet Dry Wet... a slight improvement :)

7. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    My first good guitar and map were a 1980 Les Paul Standard and a 1968 Fender Vibrolux. I bought both for $250 in maybe 1988 when I was a kid. The Vibrolux didn't work and it cost me about $150 to get fixed (a lot of money back then!). I also still have both but these days I prefer my Burst!
    [​IMG]

drlucky likes this.

8. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    First electric guitar was right before my 15th birthday in 1977: a Hondo II Les Paul copy. I hear people go on about how good the "lawsuit" guitars are. Mine sure as hell wasn't one 'em. Biggest POS I ever played. Ran it into a 60's Harmony H306 tube amp that I wish I still had, as it was basically a Deluxe amp. I traded in my Hondo on a Memphis Les Paul Special copy that was not quite as big a POS.

noah330 likes this.

9. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    My first electric was an epiphone dot, that i still miss. First amp was a peavey classic 30, that I miss. Both were workhorses I gigged with quite a bit. Now my main rig is a MIJ Les Paul with a UK made Orange rocker 30, and a AmStd Tele and DRRI. I have a few other guitars that arent in rotation.

10. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    agreed. not all lawsuit guitars were made equal, especially anything prior to 1980 and even after. QC only went up from there. I had an 83 MIJ Fender 57 reissue that was okay, not great. and an 87/88 MIJ squier that is phenomenal. Every year later MIJ guitars I got were better than the last. culminating in my 2014 MIJ les paul that is better than any gibson ive owned personally.

drlucky likes this.

11. Welker

Welker TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Clinton, Indiana
    Electra SG copy and a Gorilla amp.

12. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Played no name acoustics through most of my teens, by 19 I was woking at a mobile home factory making decent money and had a friend that played and convinced me to get an electric set up. He had a Les Paul burst that he had just bought, so we went down to the music store and I bought the 68 Gold Top that he had traded in. For an amp I got talked into a Sunn Concert Lead with a 6x10 cabinet.

Now it is a Les Paul Traditional, American Strat, and my newest crush a Roadworn Tele, all into a Bugera T50 with a 1x12 Bugera cabinet.

13. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    First guitar, an old Silvertone archtop with a Silvertone 1-12 " tube combo. Now my "Black 35" customized '51 Telecaster and a Vox AC15C1

14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    1959:
    (G) = Sears Silvertone 1326 single-pickup
    (A) = Speigel Kay K506 (2x6V6, 12" spkr)​

2017:
    (G) = Telecaster & ES-135LE
    (A) = Super Reverb Amp​

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017

15. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Kay Vanguard (no name) Guitar..
    Oahu amp

Now
    Yikes... I am trying to go retro and find my Oahu and vanguard

16. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My first guitar was an acoustic lap slide, didn't know it and could figure out why I couldnt strum chords on it till a neighbor clued me in, that was about 3rd grade. In 6th grade my parents finally got me a "real" acoustic from Unimart, kind of a precursor to Walmart et al. After about about a month the bridge popped off so my Mom went with me to return it. They said sorry, no returns over 30 days. My Mom pointed to a chair and told me to sit, then motioned the guy to follow her. They returned a few minutes later and the guy looked like he was going to have a stroke. He asked tight lipped what guitar I wanted. I pointed to a sunburst Tiesco and he took it off the wall, handed it to me and walked off without a word. I played that through my parents stereo until I was 18. Got a job and bought my first Les Paul, a goldtop with mini humbuckers. Currently have a 2014 LP Traditional, 2009 Strat, and a 2017 RW Tele, plus various resos, acoustics and lap slides. For amps, a Bugera T50 with a 1x12, and a Mahaffay HiLo Watt.

17. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I received my first guitar as a Christmas gift in 1985, it was a used Montgomery Ward type SG clone. I later received a Gorilla GG20 amp I believe. Now the list is too long :)

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    My first was a Mustang (Daphne Blue) and Vibro-Champ I got for Christmas in '65. Now I have an assortment of Squiers and Fenders, and Mustang GT and Blackstar ID TVP amps.

19. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    An Epiphone Les Paul special 2 in black that I bought new and a Peavey VYPYR VIP 1 between 2013-2014. Now I play a Fender tele, an Epiphone ES-339, and an Epiphone G400 SG pro. I plug straight into the system from my pedalboard now, but I still practice at home with the Peavey and my Blackstar FLY 3.

20. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    My first electric guitar was a Ventura Barney Kessel. The year must have been 1970 or so. It cost about $90 and was pretty crappy, although I didn't know it at the time.

My brother had a 50W Bogen PA amp, and we hooked it up to a 12" Hi-Fi speaker. That amp actually sounded great... tubes, baby!

Today, I gig with a heavily modded '98 Nashville Tele and an amp of my own design and build.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wildcard_35 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.