Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Your first guitar/amp/year and what do you have now

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by teleplayer99, May 27, 2017.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Meister

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    1964-Aria Diamond hollow body electric with a Univox amp. Don't remember the model of the amp but it was a 12" combo, probably 10-15 watts. Went next to a Starfire III (cherry red) and a Teisco Checkmate 100 amp. First fender was a small cab Bandmaster. Tele came shortly after that. Too many to mention after that!

thegeezer likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    My first guitar:an AGS , model POS but mine was in red, if it didnt have strings it would have been a flyswatter

AGS_zps2d3f579a.jpg

My amp was a teisco something and I built a cabnet for it with no tools( well a hammer and a screwdriver , it was a work of art and i was 12

now a days I have every concievable combination of stringed noise maker and louderators one could want

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    1975 I had a knock off of David Bowie's red Kent. Can't remember the make. It was rubbish I do remember that. The amp wasn't much better: a Univox 15 amp ss.

Now, my number one is my avatar: Ron Kirn through a DRRI with an Eminence Maverick.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    My first decent guitar was given to my Dad by his friend. The friends son had stopped playing after a few lessons; circa 1970/71. It was a white fiberglass model with no name; which I found out years later to be an Oahu/Supro Dual-Tone. I plugged it into the "mic" input of a Dukane reel to reel, which had one 6x9 oval speaker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    For electrics,

First:

A then-new 1974 Les Paul Deluxe and a then-new 1976 Vibro Champ two years later.

Now:

A 1956 Strat and a 1966 Deluxe Reverb.

7. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Creston BC
    I had a Peavy Predator guitar and for an amp it was a little Korg multi effects unit with headphones that when placed just right inside a ceramic jar skull thing it resonated a little more than just plain headphones cupped gently in a semi closed hand...

Today I have an array of LP's a Strat and I am now building and playing Teles mostly. I play through a PRS Archon, Blackstart HT20 and a Fender Bassbreaker 15 in Wet Dry Wet... a slight improvement :)

8. noah330

noah330 Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    My first good guitar and map were a 1980 Les Paul Standard and a 1968 Fender Vibrolux. I bought both for $250 in maybe 1988 when I was a kid. The Vibrolux didn't work and it cost me about $150 to get fixed (a lot of money back then!). I also still have both but these days I prefer my Burst!
    [​IMG]

drlucky likes this.
  9. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    First electric guitar was right before my 15th birthday in 1977: a Hondo II Les Paul copy. I hear people go on about how good the "lawsuit" guitars are. Mine sure as hell wasn't one 'em. Biggest POS I ever played. Ran it into a 60's Harmony H306 tube amp that I wish I still had, as it was basically a Deluxe amp. I traded in my Hondo on a Memphis Les Paul Special copy that was not quite as big a POS.

noah330 likes this.
  10. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    California
    My first electric was an epiphone dot, that i still miss. First amp was a peavey classic 30, that I miss. Both were workhorses I gigged with quite a bit. Now my main rig is a MIJ Les Paul with a UK made Orange rocker 30, and a AmStd Tele and DRRI. I have a few other guitars that arent in rotation.

11. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    California
    agreed. not all lawsuit guitars were made equal, especially anything prior to 1980 and even after. QC only went up from there. I had an 83 MIJ Fender 57 reissue that was okay, not great. and an 87/88 MIJ squier that is phenomenal. Every year later MIJ guitars I got were better than the last. culminating in my 2014 MIJ les paul that is better than any gibson ive owned personally.

drlucky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.