Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your first guitar/amp/year and what do you have now

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by teleplayer99, May 27, 2017.

1. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    That's what I wanted back in the day; a Champ and either an SG or a Tele.

2. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I bought a Univox HiFlyer and a solid state Tempo practice amp (with a broken reverb tank that was always on) at a yard sale in 1978. IMG_1976.JPG
    This is the second HiFlyer I owned, but it was identical to the first. (It now belongs to my brother-in-law who has strung it lefty.)
    IMG_2960.JPG
    This is a picture off the Internet, but this is just like my first amp in all its awful glory.
    Now I play a Squier/Fender parts Esquire through a Fender Bassbreaker 15.
    IMG_2894.JPG

3. MDZimmerman

MDZimmerman Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2017
    Atlanta
    AMEN.

Minimalist518 likes this.

4. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    64 Melody Maker and 65 Princeton. Now, neither.

5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South

Epiphone Dot; line 6 spider III.

Nowadays:

Customized Epiphone Dot
    2012 les paul std.
    2014 Gibson SG jr
    2015 American Special Tele
    Gibson J35
    2008 Orange TT w/custom cab
    2015 Vox ac15c1

Bunch of Pedals

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Started with a 74 Tele and a 135 watt Silverface Twin. Now I have a 40 watt Blackstar, a 20 watt Blackstar a Tele, Strat, LP and SG

7. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I had an American standard strat and a Roland jazz chorus 120 that were the first guitar and amp I used, but they belonged to my uncle. The first guitar that was mine was a black 95 Gibson SG Standard and my first amp was a Marshall JTM45 reissue.

My uncle made a deal with me that every dollar I saved for my first guitar he'd match towards an amp. I don't think he expected i would save that much money, but he honored his part of the deal.

The SG broke at the neck and then a local luthier did a hack job repairing it. Eventually I sold it for $200. :/

I still have the JTM45. I'm considering selling it because I never use it anymore. But it's a cool amp.

Now my #1 setup is a Fender Deluxe Thinline with Fralin blues specials and a callaham bridge and a Vox AC15C1

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Probably 1964 or early '65 I got a Silvertone with an amp in a case. In 66 I "stepped up" to a very nice Hagstrom.
    Today I have Teles, Strats, a Les Paul and Rik 12 plus a Blues Junior SE and a Mustang GT40.

thegeezer and Minimalist518 like this.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I had a 72 Tele Custom and a 76 Vibro Champ in 76.

Today I have a 72 Tele Custom Reissue and a 79 Champ (and a few other guitars and amps)

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    In early 80's, growing up in a 3rd world country, I had a black strat copy with plywood body with a weird jaguar tremolo. It cost me about $30 which I saved by skipping lunch at school and saving the lunch money. It shrieked feedback like crazy, but loved it anyway. I used a cassette tape recorder with a mic input as my amplifier.

When I graduated college and had a job in the mid 90's, I put up a band rehearsal/demo recording studio as a side business and had all the necessary instruments. I had Hartke bass amps, a couple of Marshall 8040 amps, Peavey power amps, Mackie mixers, etc, with a Tascam 4-track recorder. I closed it when I got married.

I live states side now. I had a bunch of gear, but as of now, in our recreation I have a Laguna le300avb, a Squire cv bsb tele, a Peavey Bandit, Boss GT-1, TC Ditto X4, some acoustics, a bass guitar, PA system, electronic drums, a pair of studio monitors, and stuff.

JayFreddy likes this.

11. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    Late 80's. I had a Grand Prix super Strat type copy and a Crate 2x12 combo.
    Now I have a Les Paul and a Splawn Quickrod. (Among other guitars and amps)

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Back in the early '80s I remember renting a Crate 1 x 12" from a local music store for a few months before I bought myself a Rivera-era Super Champ. I had also picked myself up a used Peavey T-60 for a hundred bucks in a pawn shop. Not a bad combo after I dumped the Crate.

13. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Mar 10, 2011
    glasgow
    Avon (rose Morris) les Paul copy Ross 10 watt amp.

Fender Highway 1 take
    Gibson SG Special
    Yamaha SG Standard 800s

Laney VC-15
    ZT LUNCHBOX

14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    My first amp was a 15 watt squire practice amp. After reading about The Kinks slashing their speakers for distortion I hooked up a spare speaker my uncle had laying around. I poked holes in the cone, turned up to "11" and quickly melted the transformer. A crash course in ohmage. I now have my best friends Marshall VS265. RIP Bob.

15. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    It was 1968. I had a 1962 SG standard, and a 1960 tweed Gibson Maestro Deluxe amplifier.

Now...call it a 2003 Gretsch New Nashville, and the '68 Custom Princeton.

thegeezer likes this.

16. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    There used to be a sort of retail chain called Carlsboro. They got taken over and I think they became Sound City. I may be wrong on the name. They had an 'own brand' range of knock-offs called Manhattan. Cheap Chinese copies that looked good. This was before they learned to make acceptable, let alone good guitars.
    In 1999, I bought one, it was unplayable. It was impossible to play in tune because it was impossible to intonate because the bridge routing was in the wrong place and there wasn't sufficient range in the saddles. I'm not convinced the route for the nut was in the correct place either.
    I took it back within two days, got my money back and bought my Danelectro, which I should have bought in the first place. I rarely admit in public I bought the Manhattan and try to forget it. The Manhattan may have looked good, and the finish was excellent, but that's where it stopped. I wanted something inexpensive to try and the line 'same as a Squier, squire' was used. Scorched pants time there...
    I love my Danelectro. Danelectro guitars rock.
    My first guitar amp came later. I used to own a Loco Aria bass amp which sufficed for a time. Funds were low and I wanted a guitar amp. Fool that I am, I bought a Squier SP10. It was tolerable at first. At first. I gave it to a neighbours kid who was just starting out. I think they hated for months after that.
    I bought a Behringer Vintager 110 when they first came out, which was an excellent sounding amp, but it got drenched. I thought it had dried fully, but no. It went BOOM when I next switched it on. It was fried in many places. Boo. It really did sound great. It had a compensated DI and an FX loop too. For an alleged 30Watter, it could fill a room.
    An Orange Crush 10 came next. Bloody awful. Barely better than the SP10. I modded the deceased Behringer to become a cab, fitted a switching speaker jack to the Orange and that did me for long time. I never really enjoyed it and missed my Behringer. The later ( black panel ) Vintagers came with a smaller power transformer, different power IC, a no-name speaker and sounded gash in comparison to the first issue, Jensen equipped chrome panel ones.
    I bought a SubZero H5 and a matching 1x10. The cab is fine. The amp however fellates big time except for one particular setting where crunch is just starting. It has feeble transformers, cheap components and uses two op-amps in the signal path. One to drive the tone controls ( I think ) and one to act as a sort of poorly implemented Tubescreamer. Switch the 'gain' on and it sounds like the SP10. Yes, that bad. The barely clean is acceptable, the gash-O-matic 'gain' channel is laughably bad.

Now I have a selection of guitars to suck with:-
    My Danelectro and my Squier Classic Vibe Custom vie for favourite.
    My Vintage SG, which outshone the then Epiphone SG400 by a country mile when I bought it. Not so with Epiphone these days. That one is for when I feel all Tony Iommi or just want some crushing sounds.
    A Squier Strat, now equipped with a single humbucker and volume control only. Great for those days when simplicity beckons. It's a snot-nosed, 3-chord trashthrash Ramone machine and it makes me grin. If a guitar can be imbued with attitude, this has it by the bucket.
    I built a twelvecaster, which is nice for some jangle between tuning times.

Ampwise, I've come a long way.
    For the rare occasions I play out and about, I have ( don't laugh ) A Harley Benton HB80-R. This 1x12 40Watt SS 2.5 channel, spring reverb+FX loop amp actually sounds really rather good. It's also barking loud and hooks to my 1x12 cab to deliver up to 65Watts. I took the gash logo off and have had compliments about my sound from it. Until they found out it was a Harley Benton, then I've been told I'd be better off with a valve amp after all. C'est La Vie. I know I'd be better off with a 40 Watt valve, but I rarely need an amp with that power.
    A Laney Cub 10, slightly modded. Sounded great when new. Sounds awesome after a revalve, hot bias and speaker swap.
    An E-Wave DG-5 which used to be a combo, then in a fit of I don't know what, I built a ply case and it's now a head. Beautiful sounding.
    Using the speaker from the E-Wave ( a Celestion Tube 10 ) and the speaker from the Cub ( an HH 1050 ), I built a ply 2x10 cabinet. Now I need to save up for some decent speakers for it.
    I've got a Blackstar Fly3 stereo pack connected to the television. Also connected is an Android TV stick thing. Makes for great Youtube playalongs when the family is out.

17. wrk2321

wrk2321 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2009
    virginia
    My first was an audition guitar and amp back when I was 13. Now, I have 2 Martin acoustic/electric, a breedlove acoustic/electric bass, an epi, Riviera, a fender big block strat and a early 90's fender tele. An old ibanez roadstar 2. A schecter 5 string bass, a b c rich warlock bass, a Jay trusser bass, a Yamaha bass, an ibanez bass, and numerous amps from a gk mb210 bass and to a late 60's fender bassman100 head and others that I have in storage.

18. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    In 1997 I got a Squier Stagemaster (strat body with 2 humbuckers and a floyd rose) in purple and a Vox Pathfinder amp.

These days I have an Ibanez AS73 (335 style), 2003 Squier Standard Strat, Classic Vibe 50's Tele, Hamer SATF, 2001 PRS Santana SE (first year they came out). I mainly play through a Mesa Boogie F30 with an Eminence GA-SC64 speaker. I also have a Jet CIty JCA2112RC (20 watt combo with reverb) with a WGS Invader speaker, and an Ampeg GVT-5 5 watt combo with a WGS Green Beret 10." I also have a Fender Deluxe 90 SS amp that technically belongs to a friend but has been at my house for years

Until I go the Tele last year the Squier Strat has been my favorite guitar for a long time. I've been through some amps, but the only guitars I ever sold were my first one, and a MIM Strat. I liked the Squier Strat better so I kept it.

19. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    My first rig was a 70s Vox Meteor and an Ibanez Classic Metal pedal through a '66 Supro Thunderbolt bass amp.

Now, I have 4 Squiers: strat, tele, Jazz bass and P bass. A small fender bass amp, rarely used. I run guitar into a Digitech modeler/effects unit, to a mixer connected to a PC, and back out through headphones. Bass is through a bass EQ pedal into the mixer.

20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    1975/1976 - I purchased a brand new Epiphone FT-120 acoustic for right around a hundred bucks. I then bought a used 1971 Les Paul Deluxe gold top and a similar vintage Fender Twin Reverb silver face, for about $700 for the set, from a local music store. This was when my garage band was getting busy and getting good. Sold the Les Paul and the Fender Twin two years later when I joined the Army, to close friends.

2017 - I own right around 15 guitars and basses, and nine amplifiers.
    It's taken me my entire life to accumulate that many guitars, but they include guitars, ukes, and basses made by Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Kramer, Austin, Jay Turser, ESP LTD, Peavey, CF Martin, Epiphone, Takamine, JB Player, Prelude, and also one by a local craftsman.

The amps, also collected over many years, were made by Marshall, Fender, Roland, Peavey, Crate, and Tube Driver.

I love them all, but my go-to electric rig is my 2012 Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus played thru my 2010 Fender 212R twin reverb amp.
    For acoustic work onstage, I tend to bring my JB Player six string, my Martin 12-string, and the Crate Telluride acoustic amp.

Funny thing is, I still own that very first guitar I bought with money saved from my job at Hardee's back in 1975.
    That FT-120 acoustic has been all around the world, and has her fair share of battle damage, but she still plays well.

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.