Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your first guitar/amp/year and what do you have now

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by teleplayer99, May 27, 2017.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2008
    birmingham, al
    I got an SG and a Fender Vibrochamp amp in 1976. Now its a Tele Deluxe parts caster and a Princeton.

Cheap Trills and Minimalist518 like this.

2. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    It was a triple pickup sunburst Tiesco with a bunch of white buttons for switching pickup combos and a two 6V6 powered Univox amp with two 10 inch speakers in 1966.

Now, I've got too much stuff but my #1 setup is the Tele and '54 Deluxe in my avatar.

Minimalist518 likes this.

3. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    I had a 1981 Ibanez Artist and a Rivera era Twin reverb.
    Now I play a 1990 AmStnd Tele through a Rivera Clibster 25.

The Ibanez was stolen, that's how I became a Tele guy.

4. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    1971 and I got a Columbus Les Paul copy and a nameless amp (can't remember what it was called).

Today I have a Jap Tele 62 custom, PRS SE 22 custom and a parts caster Strat. My amp is an early 80s Musicman RP 100 1x15.

I dare not list everything I have brought and sold in between, I would cry.

MDZimmerman and Minimalist518 like this.

5. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    It was a 1960 double cutaway Les Paul jr. I had a silvertone amp. It was probably 1969.

Now? The 50s strat in my avatar has been with me 30+ years. I have a 5 e3 and a pro Jr (and some larger gear).

While my old Jr is gone, I do have a guitar that reminds me of it--a 64 epi Coronet. It ain't as heavy as the Jr, but it has the sound--and a really fine neck.

6. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    I started in 77. My first electric was a mid '70s SG and my amp was a late '70s Champ. Today I have 20 guitars and about 30 amps. I have gone through literally 100s of each since that SG & Champ I started out on.

This afternoon I was playing an early '70s Guild S90 into a late '50s Gibson GA-5 that is a better tweed Champ. Later on I might go play a Telecaster Deluxe to a late '60s Traynor YBA1 into a 8 ohm Marshall 4x10 cab.

7. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Early 70s -- A Japanese SG copy into a Kent amp. I now own approximately eight electrics, including a Ron Kirn Barnbuster, MIM standard tele, 2Tek strat partscaster, Godin Acousticaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gibson SG Special, Gibson Melody Maker, Fender Musicmaster and a bunch of amps...

Oh -- forgot my newest, a Guild Starfire IV!

8. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Um...1995 Fender DG-3 acoustic with a Lawrence soundhole pickup (thank you, Uncle Keith!) and some nasty old late 70s/early 80s solid state Univox. I was so much cooler than you. :)

Now I have a low budget Crate Palomino 32 (30 watt 1x12 Vox "clone"), a Fender Mustang IIIv2, a Peavey Vypyr I, and usually play my PRS SE Tremonti.

9. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2016
    AK
    my first electric setup was Sears "Silivatone"....'bout 1964. lots of guitars between then & now... currently play Hamer (USA) and Godin guitars through Traynor amps and amps I have built from scratch

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    First electric was my younger brother's ~1967 Harmony Rocket that I got from him about 1970. First amp was a used SF Twin about 1975? The two never met because by the time I got the Twin I'd bought a Gretsch Chet Atkins to play thru it. Short love story as I soon had to sell them both to pay for my youthful transgressions.

thunderbyrd and thegeezer like this.

11. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    First electric guitar? A "lawsuit-era" Memphis Les Paul copy bought "new" in 1978 for $60 which I occasionally plugged into my parents Sears stereo. I didn't get my first amp until decades later, a late 1980's battery operated Radio Shack model so I could practice in the parking lot at work before my shift and during my lunch hour.

The Memphis LP-copy was sold off in the mid-1980's and sadly destroyed in a mobile home/trailer fire (they burn up fast, less than 5 minutes and it's just a frame), now it's a pair of Fender Lead Series, a Lead II and a Lead III, an Affinity Tele, an SX Liguid, and a Squier Korean-era Strat. Amps are a Hartke G15R, a Crate GT80DSP, a Danelectro Honeytone, and two mini amps, a Vox AC30 and a Monoprice "Tube"

Last edited: May 27, 2017

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I got a cowboy style acoustic and a tele type electric in the very early 60's, I can't recall what they were or exactly when. Neither lasted very long. IIRC my first amp was a was a Tom Scholz Rockman, through which I played a solidbody nylon string, probably in the late 70s. They didn't last long either.

Now I have two decent amps, an H&K ST Dual El84 and a highly modded Epi VJ, and a whole assortment of acoustic and electric guitars that includes nylon strings, flattops, resos, electric lap steels, and acoustic lap steel and conventional electrics. I play them all, but I'm more interested in acoustic than electric.

13. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    I started in 1987 on an Audition ( Woolworths) semi hollow through a tiny amp by a company called Chase ( never seen another ). Now I have too much to mention but generally gig with a 2008 Gibson es335 and a mim 72 thinline through a Humboldt hotrod blues junior and a massive pedalboard.

14. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Started with an old single pickup Hofner Colorama into a Selmer combo. This was 1970 London. Guitar was a dog but the old Selmer valve amp was sweet. Cant remember which model it was - single speaker, about 8-10 watts, with a tremolo circuit and a footswitch.

Far too much stuff now. Main gigging guitar is the beat up 66 Custom Tele in my avatar through a 60 Gibson GA18T. I've just realised how close that Gibson amp is to my old Selmer - 14 watts single speaker valve combo with tremolo circuit and footswitch and both made early 60s. Wasn't trying to recreate the amp sound from my long lost youth - well not consciously:rolleyes:

15. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    My first solid guitar (meaning one that didn't fall apart) was a sunburst JB Player I got in '92. I borrowed amps for a couple of years until I was able to splurge on a Peavey Studio 112 combo.

Today, my main guitar is a BCRich Mockingbird Pro X, my main amp is a Vintage Modern 2466 with matching cab. But I've got several guitars & several amps. I still have the Peavey, it still works.

Last edited: May 27, 2017

16. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I had an Explorer copy, and with the first ever Permanent Fund check (Alaska) I bought a Crate amp.
    Now I have a Blonde CV, VM Jazzmaster and a Mustang II.
    And for some reason, this makes me want to say, "I am Elmer J Fudd, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht." (it's late)

beezerboy likes this.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    My first electric guitar and amp were Christmas presents, circa 1969, I was 12.
    My Dad sent me a white MIJ Guyatone Mosrite/Jazzmaster knockoff, and a Danelectro Centurion amp.
    Dad was stationed in King Salmon, AK at the time, and sent them through the mail.
    He also sent a big, wooden (Dad made) 1-12 speaker cabinet.
    I was one happy kid!
    Now I play a 2003 Gretsch Chet into a Roland Cube 80XL.
    I'm still a happy kid.

18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    around 63 or 64 , or so, a Gibson Melody Maker and a small Gibson tweed amp.

Today it's not even close ! Started playing telecasters in 65 with a new one I bought at Rudy's in NYC. Wish I had that one back !

Troubleandahalf and JayFreddy like this.

19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    My first guitar was (and still is) a small round-hole steel-string acoustic my parents bought me in 1956. I later had a Triumph acoustic archtop. My first electric guitar was a blonde Höfner President (secondhand) in 1960 and my first amp was a 5-watt Selmer Truvoice (also secondhand) at the same time.

I've since had an awful lot of guitars and amps. Right now I have about 16 electric guitars, a couple of basses, a few acoustics and sundry other fretted instruments. I have a great many amps as well – at least a dozen.

Troubleandahalf and JayFreddy like this.

20. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2015
    Here and there
    Hondo strat that weighed a ton, and a battery powered amp that clipped onto your belt was where it all started.

Anything is better than that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.