Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favourite Tele pick ups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chris Vee, Aug 4, 2017.

1. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    So many good pickups ! It's incredible how various tones you can get with a Tele compared to a Strat. After playing dozens of excellent pickups, if I had to pick a winner for the neck it would be the Don Mare Big Box : it's glassy like a good Fender pup from the mid sixties when tapped and full, clear and juicy at full tap. And for the bridge I would choose the Fred Stuart Blackguard, there's some magic in this pup.
    Edit : The Twang King set is still running high in the classement !

LAGinz likes this.

2. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Recently installed the Cavalier Nashville Lion & Lion King set in my classic vibe custom. I'm in love! That set oozes tone and is so expressive with varying attack. I put them on a 4-way switch. I'm finally getting that ultimate country twang I've been searching for without that icepick harshness. The two pair so well together in parallel position two (my favorite position), but the crunch that comes from that set in series position four is killer and reminds me of my old SG. That set on a 4-way switch just opens so many doors that were previously locked with that same tele. I highly recommend!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

3. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    I have a SD Jerry Donahue for the bridge, uses alnico 2 rod magnets so it takes just a little off the edge, makes it sweet. I find it to be very musical and it has plenty of that Tele snap.
    I have paired it with a Harmonics Design Mini Strat in the neck..
    They seem like they were made for each other imo and the HD is a top notch neck pickup on its own.
    Balances very well and has a great usable #2 position sound to boot..
    Been using this setup for over 2 years now.

I do have to admit though. I am really gassin on this rig Lindy is playing here... beautiful classic looking vibe going on there.. The creme pickups set off the binding and the body color all look like they were made for each other.. This vid is driving me nuts lately.. Love that sound.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I never see anyone mention the Velvet Hammer bridge PU (by Red Rhodes). For me the VHTBX is THE PU that has that great emmons sounding high end w/o the ice pick.

His son was making them as of a couple of years ago. I dont know the current status.

I have a regular ol run of the mill Kent Armstrong in the neck and it is such a good compromise, I havent found anything else that sounded better.

[​IMG]

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Recently installed this set also and share your enthusiasm.

FrontPU and brobar like this.

6. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    I love the EMG T sets. But I'm torn between the EMG and the DiMarzio Velvet T at the moment. I haven't met a person who doesn't love the DiMarzio Velvet Ts.

7. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    The answer's going to depend on whether your going with single coil pickups or some sort of humbucker and what type of music you want to play.

I like rock; I guess today it would be defined as classic rock. High energy pop-ish stuff that might even edge over to metal or hard rock. Oh, I like jazz too so I want to be able to roll the tone back and be able to play autumn leaves or something jazzy too.

The pickups I've found that work for me are the Tonerider Classic Plus single coils. I'm using a Fender TBX tone control with a 4-way switch and I've swapped out the neck pickup for a Fender Twisted Tele but that is primarily only because I had it on hand. The Tonerider neck is quite similar. This combination produces a very balanced tone in all 4 positions. The pickups play very well with each other and that's what I was looking for.

I've had a Dimarzio Chopper T (rail humbucker) in the bridge of my guitar and although it was a great rock and roll pickup, it never seemed to play well with the variety of neck pickups I tried. I'd still like to try it with a humbucker or PAF in the neck to see how that balances out.

You'll see a lot of mention of Don Mare, Wilde Bill (Lawerence) and Rob's Cavalier pickups. I'm more than certain you'll get stellar results from any of those. I'm planning on a new build for a friend soon and I'll be leaning towards the Cavaliers for that one.

FrontPU and El Tele Lobo like this.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I never liked the Tex-Mex bridge pickup in my MIM Nashville Tele. I replaced it with a Texas Special. When I got an Am STD Strat the lack of character of the TEX-Mex middle began to bother me. I really fell for the sound of the Elite Tele so I replaced everything with gen 4 noiseless and just love the sound. It's rich when I need it and can be thinned out to a more stereotypical Tele sound by backing off mid and bass gains on my amp. I need to repurpose the TX Special bridge pu. Maybe a new Esquire build or maybe combine it with a P90 or mini HN.

9. jmr102855

jmr102855 TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2012
    United States
    After years of trying dozens of Tele pickups I think the SD Jerry Donahue bridge and the Fralin -15% P90 neck I have in my favorite tele are here to stay.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Happy to hear this - I have underwound Fralin P90s ready to go in a new non-reverse firebird partscaster.

11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

They are both equally good.

Keystones are like the ultimate vintage tele pickup and Microcoils are more like the ultimate modern pickups.

I like microcoils a little better because they truly allow you (more than any pickup I've ever used) to dial your tone in at the amp. You can pretty much get em sounding like keystones but they will go places that Keystones can't in terms of cleans.

Nothing can sound as clean as the Wilde Microcoils.

It is patently impossible, from what I understand and have experienced.

Derek Kiernan likes this.

12. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Cavalier - Various Tele bridge/neck
    Fender - I'm okay with the vintage style and Texas
    Lollar - Tele Vintage and Special T
    Rose - A2 telecaster & A2 P90

Humbucking - Gibson Classic '57s and SD Seth Lover
    P90 Rose and Gibson

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.