Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favourite Tele pick ups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chris Vee, Aug 4, 2017.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I like the Twisted Tele/ Broadcaster set in my 2016. I see no reason to change them

2. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    I don think anyone mentioned em yet but my number #1 has Fred Stuarts, his "lap wrap" set. My other teles have Don Mares and Lollars which I love and have all sorts of tones but for me, the Stuarts can get me through any gig. The lap wrap is his lap steel set based on pickups found on the earliest teles, very big tele tones

swany likes this.

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I have ten T style guitars, but my favourite three pickups sets are:

1 - Bare Knuckle Brown Sugars, in my MIM Classic 60
    2 - Tonerider Vintage Plus, in my MIJ Wilko Johnson Clone
    3 - no name P90's in my engraved metal fronted thinline (avatar pic)

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I think my favorites are the Nashville Lion/Lion King set in my #1. I also have a Porter Custom bridge and 9t neck I really like, especially now that I fine-tuned the pole pieces on the neck.

I have different favorites for jazz: Dimarzio True Velvet offers some wonderful warmth in the neck position, but the bridge gets some serious twang too. My recent build has a lone Lollar El Rayo neck pickup...in a word, Gorgeous.

5. IgnatzMouse

IgnatzMouse TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2013
    CT, USA
    I have three different sets in separate guitars and like them all, for slightly different reasons:

1. The LsL T-bone pickups are wonderful: warm, yet with some twang.
    2. A Jeff Callahan set that are close to the specs that he used for Bill Frisell's guitar in Guitar In The Space Age
    3. Custom Shop '51 Nocasters, which I really like a lot.

I'm waiting on a TK Smith CCII/Curtis Novak set like ndcaster's new set. I'll put those into a partscaster with a roasted swamp ash body. Should be interesting.

6. Jack

Jack Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2003
    Chesapeake, Va.
    Lollar PU's are my favorites.

7. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Lollar Vintage.

kidmo likes this.

8. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Still like my BL, (Wilde), "Keystones" after all these years but have come close to swapping out for some "Microcoils" a couple of times now.

songtalk likes this.

9. Fat Tele

Fat Tele TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2008
    NJ
    +1 on the V Mod Pickups in the Am Pro Tele.

10. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros: APTR-1, APTL-1. These came stock in my Special Ed Lite Ash Tele and they're the best tele pickups I've played. Phenomenal bridge sound and the neck is pretty awesome too. I play blues, blues rock, country rock and classic rocK.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

11. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    Stock in bridge, hot rails in neck

12. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Duncan Antiquity II

13. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I have CS Nocaster bridge pickups in two of mine, and a super distortion in the other.(no neck pickups in any of my tele's)

I play metal with the nocasters.

14. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

1) Keystone Dlx.
    2) Fender CS Texas Specials

15. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Cavalier, Cavalier, and Cavalier!

Bruxist, 4pickupguy and El Tele Lobo like this.

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    There are a million good telecaster pickups, it's hard to get a really bad one. You've got to decide if you want a traditional tone or something hotter or something clearer and more "hi fi" and if you want "noiseless" designs. Otherwise the question isn't really worth asking. Though you'll get answers!
    Of the many that I have tried, I think Duncan makes a great tele pickup for a fair price (love the JD), and the Dimarzio Areas are great in the noiseless department. It's not worth the effort it takes to type the response of course since I haven't done any sort of real comparison testing.

17. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    i have three teles (now). in guitar one (bridge) i have a lollar special ('52 partscaster). i like it a lot. i have a lollar "vintage" neck in the same guitar. it's okay, but it doesn't floor me.

in another (late '50s build, rw neck), i have a zhangbucker chimecaster in the bridge (with steel 3 saddle bridge). i love it. it is paired with a neck pickup that i absolutely love, but i can't remember where i got it from. it may have been a gfs purchase from around 2001, but i really can't nail it down. the original pickups from that '52 ri were awfully microphonic, and the neck pickup got damaged in my failed attempt to pot them.

last model (surf green body/classic series '50s neck) has a set of fender '51 nocaster pickups in it. i love the bridge (are we sensing a pattern here?), but am underwhelmed by the neck pickup. not by a lot, but it's definitely not as favorable as the bridge pickup.

i really wish i could find two more of those neck pickups. they are perfect for me. it is way more snappy than the other two i have, but it doesn't venture into strat territory, ala the twisted tele neck pickup i had in a '50s baja tele i had.

18. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Cavalier Huge Lion. Barely potted. Perfect bridge pickup for spunky Keef and more. Still has the tele character with more goodness.

4pickupguy and asnarski like this.

19. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I love the Fralin stock replacements that came in in my '62AVRI Custom tele!

20. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    OC Duff Plankster and Bigboy in one custom built tele and

Rumplestiltskin White Ropes in another custom Tele are my two favs

I have SD P90/Quarter Pound in my Squier CV which sound good also

I've had Tonerider Vintage and they are also very good

dustoff likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.