Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favourite Tele pick ups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chris Vee, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Chris Vee

Chris Vee TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Still very new to Tele's and I'm wondering what everyone's favourite Tele pick ups are?

What pick ups do you prefer and for what style of music?

Thanks!

2. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    I have a 2000 am std and the ov pickups are fantastic for any kind of music.

3. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    TV Jones Starwood telecaster pickups!

tv-jones.jpg

brbadg likes this.

4. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    OC Duff Guardsmen. Have them in one of my Teles and love them. Also Ron Kirn's pickups are great. I have one in an Esquire he built for me.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm predominately a rhythm player but I also play chordal jazz, hence, my favorite Tele pickup is the original CBS/Fender Seth Lover WRHB.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    2tsashtele and Staypuft1652 like this.

6. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Wilde (Bill & Becky Lawrence) L-290TL/L-280TN. I also like their Microcoils and the L-298TL.

http://wildepickups.com

2tsashtele and songtalk like this.

7. atk1

atk1 TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nocasters! All kinds

JayFreddy, jackinjax and Clifton C like this.

8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I prefer the pickups that came with my guitar. (I think you can get a lot more tonal variety from your amp than you can from your pickups)

9. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    So many great ones out there! I gotta say that lately I'm totally impressed by the Lollar Royal T and J Street combination. At least I am until I pickup one of the other great combinations available.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    as of today: TK Smith CCII blade and Curtis Novak bridge, both at 5k but with plenty of power

but I sure like how Don Mare's Hot Bakelites sound in Bill Kirchen's old pine tele

IgnatzMouse likes this.

11. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    For a rail pickup I've been using Guitarheads. I lucked out on a partscaster with a Loller Blues bridge pickup. That's got to be my favorite.

12. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I'm really digging the Fender Custom Shop Blackguards right now. Both bridge and neck sound spectacular!

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    The ones that were standard in my AV62 Custom Tele. I like a lot of pickups and even find the ones in a stock CV butterscotch Tele to be pretty nice in that guitar...but I just love the 62 Customs.

Here's how it is: playing at low volume in the living room while watching a ball game last night. My brother is staying with us for awhile and he said "Man, that guitar sounds good". He is not a player but loves music. I've had similar comments from a number of others, including guitarists, while on stage or just jamming.

They just sound good.

14. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I currently have SD Quarter Pounders in. They get in the ball park of Telecaster tone and they sound great distorted. However, they don't have much twang, so at the next string change I'm going to reinstall the bridge SD Vintage '54 and DiMarzio Area-T in the neck.

If I want more beef, I can always run it through my clean boost pedal (Xotic RC).

15. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've not been playing that long but already have three tele's. One a sunburst Fender 50's Road Worn with awesome Fender Tex Mex pickups. Gritty and growly. But warning: people either love these pickups or hate them. I find the pickups terrific and a number of very experienced players have strummed this tele a few times and have said things that range from "wow, you really got a good one here" to "geez, this guitar sounds terrific, if you ever want to sell it let me know".

I also have a partscaster made with a red wine transparent Fender Highway One body and a rosewood MJT-relic'd Musikraft neck loaded with DiMarzio pickups: Twang King bridge and True Velvet neck. Could not be more different than the Tex Mex and I absolutely love it. Chimey, twangy, rich, warm, terrific.

Lastly I built a tele myself from a new finished MIM Fender body in olympic white with a Mighty Mite maple neck. Loaded it with some McNelly A5 Signature pickups. Named well as they really give a great "signature" sound of a Alnico 5 magnet pickup set. A bit more output than a typical vintage sound but wonderfully tele all around. Sort of my midway between the other two tele's sound.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

16. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    I like the Custom Shop Nocaster pickups. I tend to prefer the "old school" Tele sound, and these are perfect. I also like that in the middle position there's no hum.

17. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Rumplestiltskin White Ropes. Beautifully sweet treble with clarity and without a hint of brittleness. Piano like tight low end. Nick Silver Djangos. So much going on harmonically, even clean. With drive they kinda got a single coil PAF thing going on. Really chewy. Can't believe they are not mentioned much around here.

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I have a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Teles in my Baja

I have Lawrence Microcoils and Keystones in other Teles.

I even have a set of Keystones in an old beater Affinity Tele too

19. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    I've got to say that after two years, I'm still amazed by the variety and quality of tones I get out of the Ron Kirn pickups in my barnbuster. I've got mojotone clone '52 PUs in my MIM standard, which are quite nice as well, but I still prefer the Kirns.

El Tele Lobo and irie like this.

20. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2015
    Central Illinois
    I have Tonerider Hot Classics in my Squier CV and I think they're absolutely great. They don't take a back seat to any of my other, more expensive pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.