Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favorite Telecaster Style Guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Telebrian, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Saint Frank

Saint Frank TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Dig it. I have the old Series 400 Tele and love it. My favorite (at least until I have to do a neck adjustment...gggrrrr).

2. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    My three G&L Asats:

Attached Files:

3. Christopher!

Christopher! TDPRI Member

May 12, 2015
    St. Louis
    To the die hard fender guy. So by your logic G&L's aren't Telecasters? I'm sure that Leo would be shocked to hear it.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    My favorite, by far, is still my Granville Prodigal. Aside from the spiritual significance and mission it represents, it's a wonderfully crafted instrument. It's been a struggle to get used to the pickups as both are hotter than I'm used to, but they are wonderfully made too (still seriously considering having Scooter wind a set for me in the future so it will be a full-on Granville instrument). After some patient diddling with EQ, I'm VERY happy with the sounds.

A close second would be my knotty pinecaster. It has a wonderful just-from-the-woodshop-smell, full body thickness (but yet very lightweight due to the pine), a fat neck (believe it's a 1" boatneck or fatback at this point) and smallish frets...which I find, to my surprise, that I like. They don't feel nearly as nice as the frets on my Granville though...probably due to metal content. Pickups (DiMarzio Twang King), while still on the hot side, are closer to traditional tele sound. And, surprisingly, as a traditionalist, I really dig the Babicz bridge...solid tone, exceptional sustain and perfect intonation.

Here's some pics:

Attached Files:

5. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Nice!

6. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Say, what does Mauser charger for a relic job? Not all of us can afford MJT...

7. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Mid-80's Tokai Breezysound, easily the nicest Tele I've ever played. Just about anybody who picked it up remarked on it's, well, it's remarkability! It left the fold about 10 years ago, this is the only picture of it I can dig up at the moment.

[​IMG]

Apart from that, for me it's soooo much more satisfying to work up a Partscaster than to get a Tele that's already all put together and everything. That's part of the beauty of the Tele beast, it's created from a simple yet magical recipe that lends itself well to home brewing.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    Warmoth carved top Mahogany, Warmoth highly flamed Maple neck, Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90s and a Bill Lawrence XL500. I like to build my own Fender style guitars in configurations of tones that work for me.[​IMG]
    Warmoth Swamp Ash body, Fender Maple neck, Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90/Tele pickups.[​IMG]
    Warmoth Swamp Ash body, Seymour Duncan Antiquity Tele/P90/Tele pickups.[​IMG]
    Warmoth Black Korina body capped with Bloodwood, Warmoth Bloodwood neck, Rosewood fretboard and Canary skunk stripe, Seymour Duncan Antiquity Tele/P90/Tele pickups. I also have a Mahogany Tele body with a Fender Bullet neck, custom homemade copper pickguard, Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90 and JB in the bridge position. I usually include P90s in my Strat builds as well. I have two more Warmoth projects that I have ordered and awaiting the arrival of. One is a beautifully finished Tele body with an unusual quilt Maple routed for a neck mini humbucker, middle P90 and Tele in the bridge all that are vintage specs. The other is a Strat body.

9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Favorites to see:
    • Eloquently beat-to-hell originals, especially '52s. With the frets worn to almost nothing but somehow just sounding better and better. With even the control knobs worn almost smooth.
    • Home-made, true to original form versions with resonant pine bodies.
    • Amber-tinted/-aged necks.
      Amber-ing old butterscotch bodies.
    • Deep 3-tone sunburst versions with that amber maple neck.
    • Original '72s--with that amber maple neck

Favorites to play:
    • Any of the above, but especially my own Hot Rod '52 Re-Issue.
    • Any good one with, however, a cut or flanged ashtray so I can actually get to playing right above or even behind the bridge pickup/move my attack hand around freely.

Really like reversed control plates for easier swells, but I like the very traditional (except for needing that modified ashtray!).

Any Tele in the hands of a great, Tele-loving player = a little poetic justice in a rarely-just world.

10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California

I somehow didn't add a photo of my Warmoth Black Korina/Bloodwood Tele build.......so here it is.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.