Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favorite Telecaster Style Guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Telebrian, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Telebrian

Telebrian Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2013
    Miami
    I want to know what's your favorite non-fender tele style guitar? I'd have to say my Peavey S1 Generation guitar is great. What's yours?

2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    G&L ASAT Special
    [​IMG]

3. Telebrian

Telebrian Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2013
    Miami
    Nice. I hear those are great. Here's mine.

ForumRunner_20150202_225549.jpg

4. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    These two go to every gig with me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

6. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Meister

Aug 15, 2013
    The Shack
    Nah, I'll stick with the real thing thanks.

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

8. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

My second Coleman Custom. These pictures were taken BEFORE the Fender visit threatening the small guy to extinction so Fender can take a powder if they see this!

And I supplied the Warmoth "Licensed" neck anyway. Body is Western Red Cedar by Renegade Guitarworks...

Attached Files:

9. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO

10. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Non-F brand in the style of a Telecaster? My Logan with Keystones. There is lots of good stuff out there, as evidenced by this thread, but none of it is mine.

For guitars that take the idea of the Telecaster and run with it, I don't think you can go wrong with the Reverend Buckshot. Also has the advantage of being mine.

:p

11. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2003
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Danocaster White Guard. This one's not mine, but I hope to be able to order on e before too long.

[​IMG]

12. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Very cool to see the one (or more) that does it for each of you. If it inspires you to play, who cares what it says on the headstock!

While I could list a dozen of so that set my boat afloat over the years, I'll limit myself to two! First was sunburst Fernandes tele. A sweet looking copy of a 62 custom. Still kick myself for letting it go. The stock bridge pup was quickly replaced, but the neck pup stayed put. Fat, warm, ballsy and bluesy.

My all time favorite however is a partscaster. I took my time and spec'd everything about it to my preference. Tommy at USACG was gracious enough to meet face to face at his shop and spend several hours talking about what I wanted. He and the crew exceeded my expectations with both body and neck. After 12-13 years, it still thrills me and I appreciate it more and more as time goes by. It may not be anyone else's cup of tea, but for me everything came together just right. After 40 + years of playing and having the privilege of owning well over 150 guitars in that time, I can honestly say this partscaster tele is in the top three.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 on the G&L ASAT Special.

[​IMG]

14. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Midwest
    This one wins ::D..... really like everything about this.

15. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    G&L ASAT

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

'91 Classic. Last year Leo was making them. I have several nice guitars. It's hard to put this one down.

16. xjbebop

xjbebop Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2010
    USA
    Just stumbled on these last night...
    Schecter PT fastback ii b

Looks interesting...

pt-fastback-deg-tilt.jpg

17. chillysalsa

chillysalsa NEW MEMBER!

Apr 10, 2014
    Waterloo
    Yeah I just got the Fastback ii, same green one as the picture.

It plays great, slim fast neck, it was set up near perfect out of the box, and stays in tune quite well.

Interestingly, the coil split sounds are actually really good. Some other guitars with splitting often sound too thin and bright, but this Schecter I prefer when clean through the neck in single coil mode. Regular humbucking modes are great too, especially with some dirt.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    ^^^^ + 1. Here’s mine…

[​IMG]

My Logan Custom “Firecaster” (built for me by Bob Logan from planks salvaged from a house fire). Also has a set of Keystones, with a 5-way switch.

If the OP is asking about my favorite brand of “non-fender tele style guitar”, then it’s Logan Customs. I have 4 (so far ;)). Here are the other 3…

[​IMG]

As Higgy said, there are a lot of good ones out there, and I’ve played a few others (G&L, Peavey, etc.). I’ve heard nothing but good about the Coleman brand, and every pic I’ve seen of one looks first rate (definitely including Reeek’s in the post above). I sure would like to try one of Bob Coleman’s someday. But Logan Custom is my brand of choice.

19. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Oct 2, 2013
    Reno
    Mike Package of Switchback Guitars builds the Country Boy Express. One That is on my GAS list for sure. Still saving up for it but I'll have one someday soon.

Attached Files:

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I define Telecaster Style as not a Tele, but some boutique builder's idea of a Tele. That's fine, but not for me.

I'd prefer to get everything from Fender. Mostly their higher end stuff (AV and CS) satisfies my wants. But there are times when I've considered having a vintage clone built, with just the few twists important to me. Such as tiny stainless frets, and perhaps a Lollar mini or firebird in the neck of a double bound '69 Thinline in Surf. Combinations of specs that are hard to find, or that Fender won't do.

If I pursued that, the main thing would be to find a builder who can do a Tele justice, and who can do the custom stuff I want for a reasonable price. Being this picky gets expensive, though, so I just sit on the idea. I consider cobbling together a nice partscaster, but quality lacquer finishing for parts seems limited to MJT... There are a couple others, but I haven't felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger.

The names that come to mind for top notch 'clones' that I'd be thrilled to win ;) include Danocaster, Rutters, Tuttle... on down to Kirn, K-Line, Nash, ... the list is quite large actually.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.