Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favorite & least favorite American accent(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Boston/Cape Cod
    Least: My own... Boston (Quincy/Dorchester)

Favorite: Wisconsin/Minnesota ("Oh ya, the lunker muskies are down in the ruuuts!")

2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    I was with an English gal for a few years. Mom was Manx, dad from Wallasey, Merseyside - ex-British military, raised in an ex-pat colony in South America, she had moved to the US as a teenager. Her accent was mostly received pronunciation with some charming bits.

In the SF Bay Area I knew an upper-class Jamaican guy who had attended Cambridge and post grad at Cal. He could switch between Jamaican Patois, upper class Jamaican, Oxbridge and Midwest/Californian American accents pretty much at will. He was afro-caribbean and when he used the Oxbridge accent it threw Americans for a loop.

DougM likes this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Oh, yaaaa?

Brian J. and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, not me.

I'd rather be waterboarded, than have to listen to that woman. Ouch.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Very astute observations here.

I'm a fairly good mimic (very proud of my J C Fogerty) and when I first came to New Orleans in 1971, I was able to nail down 6 or 7 real cool stereotypes. But in time I got into trouble when I heard some intergrades and it messed me up and I gave up doing my imitations. I had a great Irish Channel accent, an "Eats at Clancys" accent, an Algiers accent, a Hap Glaudi imitation, a Liberty Mississippi accent, a Chackbay accent and more. See, people down this way moved around so little and tended to stay in lane - in terms of their station in life.

I had a very smart, very dear friend from Chalmette and I worked with her and we totally transformed her manner of speech. From there she had great success in the corporate world and later in academia. There's no way she'd have advanced with the jarring accent her siblings and nieces have even this day.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    slauson slim and teletimetx like this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    That seems reasonable .

Btw - I know that’s a dialect map so they don’t do it but anything that refers to both Michigan and Kansas as being in the “Midwest” is just lazy...

Any nasal ping-y Great Lakes accent that has a lot of “ine” sounds is not good...

Worst accent ?

One of them is “my great-grandparents came up to southern Michigan from Kentucky/West Virginia/Tennessee to work in the assembly plants 70-80 yrs ago yet I still have a wrestlemania yo’d-out version of some hill folk jibber-jabber”...

7. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Least favorite by a mile is the Boston accent. I'm originally a yinzer from Pittsburgh and have tried for fifty years to lose it, but still will meet someone and they'll ask, "so what part of Pittsburgh are you from?" And it's funny, I lived 30 miles from Pittsburgh, and only three miles from the W. Va. border. Drive three miles, cross the border and you were in a different world. "I'm a tell'in you rat now".

Like others, I like the Australian accent and a southern accent by a woman.

8. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    Chicago native here, we don't really have an accent.. The skits on SNL are nothing compared to how we talk. Attitudes differ if from the North or Southside.

Rustbucket likes this.
  9. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Speaking of the Polish accent, that's how Getty Lee of Rush got his first name. His mother was a Polish Jew and when he was born, the nurse asked her what she wanted to name him. She said Gary, however with her Polish accent it came out Getty, and that was it.

Paul in Colorado and P Thought like this.
  10. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    This reminded me of the hilarious film Snatch, which I think wass the first film to expose Jason Statham to a wide American audience, and Brad Pitt was SO FUNNY! You couldn't understand a single thing he said throughout the whole film.

11. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Lebanon Pa.
    Least favorite American accent? For me it's gotta be Pa. Dutch. The early settlers were German, but through the years it mutated into a local gibberish, it even varies from one area to another because these people travel only as far as their buggies or bicycles go. After that it would have to be New Joisey.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Have been there once, California, to visit bro-in-law who lived on Sunset Boulevard.
    I really like the southern drawl as it sounds so relaxed, Hated New York City and the accents are so hard to work out what people were saying.
    My cousin lived overlooking Central Park. Accents in New York city seemed different borough to borough but they all spoke so fast it seemed they were almost aggressive.I'm not a fan of big cities. Even Bangkok takes 1-1/2 hours to get out of and that has American type freeways.

13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Being from SC and raised in SE VA, I'm pretty partial to that one. Any New York, or New England type accent almost causes physical pain.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I think that the mid south "Southern Belle" type accent from Virginia or the Carolinas sound the nicest. Georgia too. Any place where there's the slow smooth accent as I think it sounds. Easy to understand, smooth and nice sounding. It sort of reminds me of French where I think attention was paid to making things sound nice when the language was developed. My grandmother grew up in Atlanta, and she had this type of accent even after living in Pennsylvania most of her life.
    I live around an hour from New York City, and we have people here with a New York accent and I get the impression some people play it up to sound tough. That's my least favorite. It sounds opposite to the southern accents that I like. It sounds harsh and aggressive to me. I guess maybe it's the wannabe's who live an hour a way who do that more, because there are New York accents that sound fine while clearly being New York too. But even in NYC there's a lot of the aggressive tough guy sort of accent.
    New York City alone has a pretty wide variety of accents now that I think of it. You'll get the native english speaking New York accents, then you have Spanish accents, Puerto Ricans speaking "spanglish", Jewish accents. Urban or African American accents have a whole range too.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    **** you, you ****ing **** and the ****ing horse you ****ing rode in on!

I’m kidding! :D :D :D

Personally, I don’t like accents. Everybody should just talk normal...

Like me!

16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Omg, same here, like nails on a chalkboard. Same with comedienne Michelle Wolf. Some say she is funny. I'd never know because I can't listen to more than 1.5 seconds of that voice.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    @soulgeezer your initial comment came across as the New Yorkers that have been mentioned.
    Next year I'm visiting the US and flying back from the west coast. Thank God I don't have to see that city again.
    Also, New Yorkers speak in a definitive way. That is; " that's it, that's the way it is and I'm right. End of conversation"

soulgeezer likes this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    The who and how it's said makes the difference for me. Interesting timing because I thought about this yesterday.

In one context I was hearing the same mix of midwestern US, Chicago, southern US, black US, and eastern European in a complicated tech project conf call. In the other it was pretty much the same but people dealing with customer service in our stores, a Target store just off a freeway outside of Milwaukee, WI, and our staff reacting to change that has to happen. It struck me how all the sincere collaborators sounded great and the others did not.

Tone makes such a difference. It goes in reverse too. I made an effort to be kind with the person at that Target store even though I was in a hurry, low on sleep, and with a lot on my mind. The young man taking care of me completely lit or warmed up by my efforts to be kind. I tried to remember putting a smile on my own accent for the rest of the day.

19. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Didn’t mean to offend. My opinion was based on my time working there, not from what I’ve heard on TV.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    The "funny" descriptor is pretty open to interpretation as well...

Colo Springs E and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.