Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favorite & least favorite American accent(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Oct 9, 2018.

1. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Oh yes. There is a French woman at work who does the online security stuff - a shiver runs down my spine when she talks about secure email.

Anyway, American accents - which one is Loyd Grossman? That’s the best and the worst.

2. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2018
    Atlanta
    There are probably about 5-7 large categories with many regional variances. The site below is really fascinating and detailed explanation of regional american dialects and has a large US map of American dialects. The map is a little confusing at first, but I think it's fairly accurate at least based on my experience.

https://aschmann.net/AmEng/

teletimetx likes this.
  3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I think there are seven in the state of Ohio alone. I have a slug of family in Southern Ohier/ Northern Kentuck area. I love listening to them talk . It’s different than anything else in the country.

teletimetx likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I used to find women's southern accents fetching.

not anymore

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    IMO, there's way more than "5-7 large categories" across the US, at least to my ears. Might be 5 or so in the New Orleans area alone, for example.

I used to call a former colleague, a lady from Metairie ("Metry" a suburb with it's own distinct accent) just to listen to her. Then there's the straight up native New Orleans version, which is anything but southern; then's there's folks from the ninth ward "da nint wahd"; then you go through the towns down river, like Chalmette or Violet or Harvey, something else again, and then across Lake Pontchartrain, somethin' else again.

In someways, not entirely different than varying locations in England, where small areas develop their own accents over time.

I tend to like most accents that develop naturally, as in this is the way I grew up.

I've worked with more than a few Brits, and the one accent I've had the most trouble understanding is the Geordie accent from Newcastle.

Nickadermis likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just thought I'd weigh in on women's accents that I find appealing- I love Asian, Indian, and black women with a British accent. Actually, any attractive woman with a British accent.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Favorite is probably South West. Least favorite is whatever Tom Hanks is trying to imitate at any given time.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    RomanS and jackinjax like this.
  8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    There are at least three accents in PA, Where I grew up. Philly, Pittsburgh and pa Dutch. A philly accent is not a New York accent and not a Baltimore accent, though they are kind of in the same family.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Maine and Vermont are pretty unique.

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Oh man, a pretty gal with a Tennessee accent just WRECKS me. FAVE!

teletimetx and haggardfan1 like this.
  11. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2010
    Central Connecticut
    I like Appalachian. Don't know what the hell they're saying but it looks like they're having fun saying it.

RomanS likes this.
  12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    Juliette Binoche!!

teletimetx likes this.
  13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    In NZ the "i" in "six" comes out as an E, with all the associated hilarity.

14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    An if youse fink proppa Cockerny iz ard to get yer ed raand, youse wanna try Scaaase.

DougM and teletimetx like this.
  15. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    I love southern accents especially women. New York ,New Jersey accents annoy me.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I grew up in a small Northern California valley, where the timber industry had attracted a substantial population of people from Arkansas, I think during the dustbowl/depression years. I'm told I have a little twang in my speaking voice; I guess that's where it comes from.

I generally like southern accents. I think it's more than just pronunciation, too. Southern writers have a distinct cadence, syntax, and diction. The drawl comes through even without speech.

RomanS and fatcat like this.
  17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Staten Island is like nails on a chalkboard, especially from a woman. Aside from that, I’ll take whatever.
    Of course, mine is a generic West Coast, so it’s the most boring of all North American accents.

18. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2012
    pennsylvania
    minnesota accent is terrible, everyone else is fine

19. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Hey I understood some of that. Fir some reason I have a fascination with Brittish, and Scottish TV programs and movies. I guess its partly because that's where my ancestors came from. I Always think to myself 2 people's separated by a common language.

Used to watch some of the harder to understand ones (for us Americans) wit the closed captioning on. One day after a few weeks, I didnt need the captioning anymore. Picked up some of the slang too.

Parallel to this... I always get a kick out of when they put subtitles over a thick Southeastern US accent. As a native, I didn't need them.

Distinct languages with common root, so to speak.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.