Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favorite & least favorite American accent(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Oct 9, 2018 at 9:13 PM.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2003
    My brother lives in Manhattan. I live in Bakersfield. When I visit him, his New York friend’s want to know if I’m from the South. When I used to visit my cousins in West Texas, I thought they sounded funny. To my surprise they told me I sounded just like them.

P Thought and El Tele Lobo like this.

2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    I particularly dislike the country-boy drawl from rural Alabama, esp. the "mush-mouth" variation that is predominant in some areas.

I enjoy listening to the NE accents, Boston, New Hampshire, upstate New York, etc.

I've lived here for 53 yrs...but this city is very cosmopolitan, with NASA and an Army base it draws in accents from all over the world. We got a huge influx of folks from St. Louis about 20 yrs ago (BRAC for the Army's helicopter programs) so the dialect landscape has changed a bit. Folks from St. Louis are easy to spot though...we have a nearby village (and several roads) called "Triana" and they invariably pronounce it "Tree-anna" instead of "Try-AYHNuh". Annoyingly, most of them do not even attempt to adapt. I suppose they just figure we're ignorant and never learned the correct way to pronounce our own place names.

I went to college in the small nearby town of Athens, AL. I was getting my degree as an adult (30's), so I was taking night classes, etc. I had to take an elective and chose Geology (which I really enjoyed). Most of the other students were in their late teens, of course. There was the prettiest Asian girl in class...with a totally non-sequitur, drippingly rural Nawth AyluhBAYHmuh accent. She asked me a question one evening and I was "deer in the headlights". My brain could not parse her at all. Perhaps it was the painted-on overalls...

Miz Diane is a native, with the typical soft southern 'city' lilt...but her mother was from Gloucester, MA. Very thick Bostonesque (Gloucester is 30mi north of Boston) accent...which even after 70yrs in the south, she never lost.

My parents were Midwest (NODAK and Illinois) and I somehow kept their combined accent...but I am somewhat of a unreconstructed mimic. Whatever the accent, in an hour or so I will have modified mine to match yours. It is not intentional, more a subconscious thing. I can't help it. I work with a lot of the St. Louis folks, after about 2 sec. and my accent will flatten out and sound like one of them.

boris bubbanov likes this.

3. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    I melt when a French woman speaks English.

RoyalBaby likes this.

4. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Being from the Boston area I mostly associate the super thick classic Boston accent with elements of crime (Winter Hill Gang, Whitey Bulger, etc..) and corrupt government officials.

Not really something that is endearing, not sure why people from other areas would think fondly of that.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Accents vary about every 100 miles. I enjoy them all.

6. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I endure watching Before Sunrise with my wife purely to hear Julie Delpy talk.

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Those Southern belles do it for this guy

haggardfan1 likes this.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

In a nutshell.

Annoying accents usually come from annoying people.

boris bubbanov likes this.

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Fran Drescher's take on a NJ accent is absolutely my fav.

Harry Styron likes this.

10. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    As long as you enunciate I've got no problem with your accent regardless of where you're from. I find nasally, twangy voices irritating regardless of where you're from. If I had to pick a particular accent it would be what I call the Selma (Alabama) accent.
    I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama and lived there for the first 30-odd years of my life. At the time Metropolitan Birmingham (some might consider that phrase an oxymoron) was somewhat less than a million people. Still, I could tell which side of town someone grew up in based on their accent.
    That said, my parents grew up within two blocks of each other and each had their own peculiar speech patterns, i.e., my mother said "corn-er", whereas, my father pronounced it "co-ner"; Shoney's Restaurant was "Show-knees" vs "Shaw-knees", etc.
    It's my experience that a person's accent has absolutely nothing to do with their education, much less their intelligence.

11. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    Favorites: The New Orleans accent and manner of speaking. The Hawaiian accent and Hawaiian Pidgin.

The first time I could clearly hear my LA/California accent was traveling with a group of English speakers from all over the world - Oz, NZ, HK, Singapore, Canada, Northern England, other parts of the US.

No dissing of anyone's accent from me. You are what you is.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM
    chris m. likes this.

12. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    My favorite American accents are the slow, rural western accent, like Sam Elliott, the Atlanta African American accent, the Ashkenazim-inflected bounce of Brooklyn Jews, and southwestern Chicano/a with their extravagant vowels. My least favorite is the surfer dude/ski bum/stoner accent.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM

13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I'm a native Texan. so our particular drawl goes practically unnoticed. I did do my best to lose mine and sound more Midwestern, whatever that means, while working in radio years ago.

It's neat how different Southern accents can be. Last year I spent a few days in Tennessee, and at one restaurant near Falls Creek Falls State Park, there was this waitress who was strikingly pretty by any standards. The minute she spoke to me she got about a thousand times cuter, just because of her accent.

El Tele Lobo and RomanS like this.

14. cc50fralin

cc50fralin TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Queens, NY
    My favorite on a woman, would be a Southern accent that she is either trying to hide but can't or has worn down a little from living somewhere other than the South.

This was actress, Andie Macdowell's story. She's originally from South Carolina, but said no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake her southern accent.

Emmylou Harris speaking to me would also undoubtedly put me in a trance, and I would probably wake up in the hospital. :D

I also happen to think that Andie and Emmylou are gorgeous (always have) so this probably has a lot to do with it.

I don't have a least favorite.

How many different American accents are there, by the way?

I would say about 7 or so.

1.) New England

2.) New York (Mid Atlantic)

3.) Southern. Sounds Southern, but not too strong. A Virginia accent.

4.) Deep Southern. The people that say All of y'all or yall's in a heap of trouble) :eek:

5.) Texas. To me, a Texas accent is a southern accent with a mid-western twang to it.

6.) Midwestern. Supposedly, this was the accent of choice for News broadcasters years ago. It's also the cleanest-sounding American accent to me, because it sounds the way someone would sound if they were reading something out of a book without any kind of an accent.

7.) Northwestern. Sounds like a clean Mid-Atlantic accent mixed with a Midwestern.

That's my take.

Mike ;)

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I grew up on Long Island with a mother who constantly corrected my diction. There was one correct way to speak; like Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow. I didn't dare sound like I grew up in Queens or Brooklyn. So I have no discernible regional accent. Growing up that way, I was taught that accents, any accent, indicate ignorance or at least identified one as a recent immigrant. The universities I got my degrees from were pretty homogeneous. Remember that this was the 60's and early 70's. I worked as a laboratory chemicals salesman in New York City after my graduate degree, with a customer base of research scientists from around the country and around the world. I learned fast that there is no accent associated with anything important. Ignorance knows no bounds and intelligence knows no limits. Accents I like? The accent of any intelligent person I'm speaking with. Accents I don't like? None, really. If I have difficulty understanding someone, it's probably safe to assume that they are having just as tough a time understanding me. And we can still usually find a way.

16. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Favorite: Texan!!! and/or Southern (particularly Belle)

Least: Utahan, followed closely by Midwestern

17. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Irritating - Southern, Georgia, Texas Twang;(one syllable words become two syllables) followed by British or Australian
    Like - New Jersey ( Think Laverne & Shirley, Archie Bunker), New Hampshire, Massachusetts; etc.

I grew up in Southern Wisconsin

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 1:59 PM

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think I love them all, and I hope they don't disappear. They're part of what makes language wonderful.

I live in SoCal and the surfer dude speak can get tiresome, especially when every other word
    has the filler word, "like", thrown in there instead of "um". Also annoying is how "bro" is now "bruh" or "brah". The other day my 8 year old son said, "Chill out brah" to my wife and she said,
    "Dude, I'm your Ma, not your brah."

I also dig Canadian accents. My wife is from BC and I love hearing the way they speak when we're up there...somewhat similar to Michigan/Wisconsin, but different, eh?

One of the hardest to decipher for me was listening to Cajun shrimp fishermen on VHF radio in the Gulf of Mexico. "Shoor, ah'll pass ya on wun wissl cap'un, ah'm jes out he fuhshin fo' sum shryimp."

I love a heavy Down East Maine accent, very entertaining.

This guy is great, too:

w3stie likes this.

19. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I don't mind any of them, unless they are trying to sell something.

teletimetx and jackinjax like this.

20. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Southern woman are my favorite. Southern men, the worst. Go figure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.