Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your favorite & least favorite American accent(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Oct 9, 2018 at 9:13 PM.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Nothing personal/insulting meant in all this. Just a matter of aural flavors....

Watching the Red Sox thus far beating the Yankees tonight (go, Sawx!), I thought of Jerry Remy, the Red Sox color commentator and Fall River, Mass., native. I love how he pronounces Xander Bogaerts' name: "ZANdeh BOgaahhts." Nomar Garciaparra ("NOmah Gahsee-ah-PAHwah") was a good one, too.

Not sure the Boston area/New England accents are my favorite, but I do find them charming, and friendly- and even honest-sounding. (Locally swindled Bostonians will correct me here.)

Maybe a (woman's) soft Virginia accent would be mine. Beautiful edge-lessness, there. But there are so many Virginia accents, I've learned, that I'd have to specify this as a northern Shenandoah Valley/Central Piedmont one.

Least favorite would be the harshly nasal Upper Midwest accents I grew up among, and the twangier Southern/Appalachian accents. Both types over-tang my sinuses. And very situational would be heavy Bwooklyn and Bwonx accents. I can find these over-aggressive even when not, though most of my gentler relatives had these same accents.

Likable or not, I hope that these (and the planet) are still around a few centuries hence. Homogenization is a costly thing.

So, your favorite/least favorite American accent(s)?

2. Whiskerz

Whiskerz TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Canberra, Australia
    As an Australian I'm not super aware of all the accents up there, but the Boston accent is definitely very entertaining to listen to. Also a big fan of the 'Southern' accent.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I really enjoy the variety of U.S. accents. I had the opportunity to work in almost every state during my career and the differences in accents were very fascinating to me. Growing up in the S.F. Bay Area, I really didn't think I had an accent, but people from across the country can easily nail where I come from. I also enjoy accents from across both oceans. Not only in their native tongue, but also there second language of English. Fun stuff.

4. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Im also a fan of southern accents, especially in women. Personally, not a fan of the “Big City” New York or Chicago accents at all. They always sound like they are yelling to me.

Owenmoney likes this.

5. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Also as an outsider, it's interesting to hear all the different accents, usually portrayed by actors in movies. But I like the southern accents like New Orleans, especially from a pretty girl ;)

El Tele Lobo likes this.

6. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Least: New Jersey

Favorite: South Boston

Fair enough, most Americans can't tell an Aussie accent from a British one. I can, but what I can't tell is Aussies from New Zealanders. Which I realize is a pretty big difference, so I never ask anyone if they're Australian for fear of getting it wrong. The most baffling accent I ever heard was from a South African- it almost seemed like she was mixing the British and Australian accents together just to mess with me.

Matt G, stratoman1, faulp and 3 others like this.

7. Whiskerz

Whiskerz TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Canberra, Australia
    That's funny because to me some Aussie accents can sound pretty close to some British accents, but kiwis are always easy to pick. To me a lot of South African accents sound like a mix of Dutch and New Zealand accents.

8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    During my two years in Perth, i could start to differentiate the locals from Sydneysiders, Victorians, Kiwis and those from Newcastle area. The British colonials from Africa had their own thing going on too. There were workers there from all over due to the iron ore boom going on. Very charming accents you all have.

9. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    When I was in the Coast Guard I dated a girl from Wiscaaaansin. I couldn't take her accent, had to break it off. A really pretty and super nice girl too.

I really like a British accent.

8barlouie likes this.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

australians are consistently tested to be the most favored most trusted accent by americans.

I am a fan of accents... can't think of a least favorite... glad we still have some differentiation though!

imwjl, drf64, John Backlund and 3 others like this.

11. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I know a couple with a Long Island accent that I really enjoy. It's related to the classic New York accent, but slightly less high strung. Eastern accents (and behaviors) always seem more "in your face" than us Westerners. Women in South East Texas have really sweet sounding Southern accents.

My own accent is a combination of what would be called Midland American and Western American. My parents were from the Midwest, but I grew up mostly in Arizona.

12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    One of my daughters-in-law is from Yorkshire. She thinks it is hilarious that her hick accent is perceived in the US (by some) to be very classy.

My son lived with her in London for several years and picked up some of the local accent. My new receptionist announced to me, “There’s an English guy on the phone who claims to be your son.”

Matt G, El Tele Lobo and jvin248 like this.

13. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    I remember reading a newspaper column by Ellen Goodman , some 30 or 40 years ago, about listening to radio call-in shows. She wrote that the American accents of the callers seemed to be as distinct by age as by region, if I remember correctly.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    PA.and FL. no offense meant, those are two I remember.

15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Not a big fan of the yinzer in Pittsburgh.

16. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    That’s funny...

I have a southern drawl, but I don’t hear it unless I listen to recordings of my voice. Weird, that.

My least liked (and no offense intended) is the New England thing where they don’t have any r sounds. “Paaauk da caaaaau in de yaaaaud” stuff. I find this irritating.

My favorite is the California thing where they go up an octave on the last word of every sentence. I find this funny.

I have friends from both places, I don’t hold it against them just like I hope they don’t mind that I sound like a redneck.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If it is a charming person with a good nature, the accent can be managed.

As a bit of a vagabond, I'm called on to "convert" to various accents at a moment's notice. You can't harbor a dislike for an accent and then speak in it.

What makes women's voices bad, is such things as drug addiction, or having married the wrong fellow at some point. Or having no teeth in their head or they're suffering mightily from a terrible sinus infection or they've had way way way too much to drink. Or they've smoked a carton of cigarettes in the last fortnight. These things totally eclipse all this other stuff.

Harry Styron likes this.

18. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    There's one here in central pa that hurts to listen to sometimes. It's the one that turns "got him" into "gawt eem."

"Whurrs Bixler?"
    "Ee's up on na ruff, tryn fix thee antanna"

Edit- of course its the one I grew up in, so maybe not unbiased...

19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    During part of my British Army service I was on special duties with a guy from Louisiana and I found myself saying Y'all and a few other little sayings. Even now 50 odd years later I very often come out with Y'all and it drives my wife mad.. S

El Tele Lobo, jackinjax and dkmw like this.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    There is a show on HGTV with a mother and daughter team who rehab houses in Indianapolis. The daughter's accent just makes me want to stuff cotton in my ears. It's more enjoyable to watch with the sound down.

I had a girlfriend from Connecticut who was of Polish decent. We're still in touch and sometimes I call her just to hear her voice. The first time I met her I thought she was from Scandinavia. I had a female friend in Charlottesville, VA who had a nice Southern drawl, too.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.