Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your Favorite Craigslist Lines from Buyers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Oct 9, 2018.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    Actually one of my good friends found a drum kit of his that had been stolen YEARS before for sale on CL. So he bought it...

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. tele_savales

tele_savales TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    I actually brought back a near mint ESP LTD that I bought from them a year earlier for 500 (used) and they offered me 2 hun. I waited for a while but eventually sold it for 500. It's unbelievable. These guitars sell all day long for between 6 and 8 hundred dollars.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I really don't know how they get people to let stuff go as cheaply as they do. I knew a guy who would buy stuff from them then after a while, (too long to return it) sell it back to GC, or trade it back for almost nothing. Just a little effort and he could have sold the stuff for a lot more.

4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    Tampa,FL
    so many stories ... so very many stories.
    every once in a while I get one where it works out. I get what I want, they get what they want, everyone leaves happy.
    mostly its people that forgot how the world works (or at least used to work) and don't really care about the value of things.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dude, relax. Stating a firm price does not mean the seller doesn't understand or is intimidated by the idea of negotiation, or lacks the "ability to work together" or any of the other things you said. It just means that in that specific instance, he wants $400, knows $400 is a fair and low price, and knows he will get $400, therefore is not willing to accept less. That's all it means. It's not the end of civilization as we know it.

kuvash and unfamous like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hahahaha nooooooo!

I mean a firm price in a market where buyers and sellers typically negotiate is maybe fine, but when sellers who expect buyers to all know that they are not willing to negotiate, get angry at the buyers who maybe drove 50 miles with a serious interest in paying $300 for the guitar listed at $400, and then these firm price sellers post about how awful buyers are because they make an offer below the asking price; the problem is the anger of those who expect the rest of the world to think and act the same way they do.

While every deal is different, one of the biggest problems we read complaints about WRT CL is sellers who won't budge on the asking price, so their unwanted valuables stay listed for months and even years.

If half of us complain about sellers that won't come down on their listed price, and half of us complain about buyers that offer less than the listed price, I see a pattern that is displayed in many ways, where we seem to be growing more and more rigid as a society.

I did not come to this conclusion based on CL though, it's just another example.

I'm not sure how rigid the value of a used MIM Strat is.
    Somewhere between $200 and $500?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    If a serious buyer drove 50 miles to pay three hundred dollars to buy a guitar listed at 400 bucks; Wouldn't that be on him? :D

Personally, I don't care what a guy's intentions are, having said that though, when I list something I expect to negotiate a little, that's why I jack that baby up to begin with! Doesn't everyone? :lol::lol:

thegreatshocka and kuvash like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    From the many, many successful sales I have had on the CL for items, I have learned that at the first sign of a cuckoo on the other end, to terminate any further responses. I just don't play any games any more. It has never, ever proven to be worth being jacked around. When it's gonna happen, you almost can't keep it from happening, when it ain't happening, there is almost nothing you can do to remedy that situation. Go peddle crazy somewhere else, we're all full up around here.

kuvash, telemnemonics and Mouth like this.
  9. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Judging from the varied opinions expressed in this thread, I guess there is no "doesn't everyone?" any more!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I wonder how sellers determine the value of something like a used MIM Strat?
    There are literally tons of them for sale used.
    Some stock, some with quality upgrades, some with unseen butchery under the guard and/ or stripped truss rod nuts etc etc.
    Some heavily worn, some seemingly never played but corroded with scratchy pots from disuse, and some with good or bad relic jobs.

How long is a seller willing to wait for the buyer who wants that exact guitar and is willing to pay 80% of the last blowout price at the cheapest online retailer?

When we are trying to get rid of our MIM we might not have been trying to buy an MIM for the last few months and seen all the deals on them.

Sort of like the members who buy the blowout sale guitars hoping to flip them for a profit after the sale ends.

The used market is flooded, and used guitars are too often too cheap to expect to get what we think they ought to be worth.

Especially with the rampant hobby modding youtube techs "fixing" and "upgrading" guitars and then selling them because they found them unsatisfactory.

GeekPriest likes this.
  11. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Wait...you mean you are done attempting to do business with me?

telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    "the phone number didn't work..."
    [no phone number provided in ad]

My reply:
    "Communications are limited pending confirmation that the party is Not a robot and the party Has the cash.
    What phone number did you try?"

This, for sale of a truck owned in the family since new - in 1973 - and rocking 66,000 original miles.

13. GeekPriest

GeekPriest TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Central Texas
    For the record, telemnemonics, I'm in general agreement with you. In the specific case of a potential buyer who drives a serious distance with a plan to offer less than asking price on the spot, that buyer needs to assign rather little value to his time. The further away I (as a buyer) am from a seller, the more photos and details I want and the more I will try to establish price parameters before ever making the trip. Expecting a seller to take 25% off the asking price has an uncertain outcome, to say the least.

There's definitely a glut of overpriced used instruments, though. A seller with something valuable has to be prepared to wait or to make price concessions in a negotiation.

14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm sorry we had to break up in a public forum like this, but alas, it's time for you to go your way, and me to go mine. Unless of course you relent and cough up the 200 bucks for my Super Champ XD.

Deeve and telemnemonics like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    For the record, telemnemonics, I'm in general agreement with you. In the specific case of a potential buyer who drives a serious distance with a plan to offer less than asking price on the spot, that buyer needs to assign rather little value to his time. The further away I (as a buyer) am from a seller, the more photos and details I want and the more I will try to establish price parameters before ever making the trip. Expecting a seller to take 25% off the asking price has an uncertain outcome, to say the least.[/QUOTE]

There's definitely a glut of overpriced used instruments, though. A seller with something valuable has to be prepared to wait or to make price concessions in a negotiation.

I do not subscribe to the basis of that statement. When I post something, I am always prepared for it not to sell, at least not right then! What I have found that 100% of the time, when I offer something for sale, IF I do not put a time limit on it, IT will sell. So, I am prepared to take what I expect to get for the item or I will simply pull the ad, and wait for a more opportune time to sell the item. This has worked one hundred percent of the time for me, I see no reason to change my sale structure plan at this point. When something doesn't sell, I've found it's usually the wrong time of year to sell it. You have to align the item with the trend of things being sold at that particular time of year. If it were easy, everyone would do it! :D

GeekPriest likes this.
  16. GeekPriest

GeekPriest TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Central Texas
    What disagreement do you see here? I've waited six months to reach the start of riding season in order to sell a motorcycle for $1000 that only brought offers of $500 in October. Likewise sewing machines that I've held off selling until Christmas buying season was in view.

Toto'sDad and telemnemonics like this.
  17. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I hate selling stuff , but I will have to.....soon. Im running out of room here.
    I live in a tiny country , and Im from the part of the country where everybody likes to haggle.....I really cant be bothered , I almost feel like giving it all away.....

Im not a rich man , but I was once a lot more poor than I am today. Probably because of that , Im still living a modest life , with very few expenses.....

Marshall cab , yep , got one of those that I really should be getting rid of.......Can you imagine how many text messages from heavy-stoner-death metal kids it will take to get rid of that ...?

Then there is a really old cab , with 4 of the earliest Green Backs in it , a Laney , I think...
    Can you imagine how many calls and text messages I will get from Dentists , Lawyers , HR people etc before that one sells ?

I have several amps that I never use , and this load of crap should easily bring enough money for me and the wifes next 10 days/2 weeks in Italy.... But it will probably still be here years from now

Its not just music gear......We both lost our parents during the last 6 years , and various other family members......Lots of stuff that no-one seemed to want , and now it lives here , grrrr........

Both my wife and I have chosen things that we really want to hang on to ,and you probably guessed it , none of those things are worth anything

Nice sets of China , all kinds of silverware......you know stuff that can bring in a bit of money , just sitting here ......My wife is like me , she really dont want to deal with it. She started gearing up for selling it all , became a member of Facebook groups and so......

Suddenly my son and girlfriend found space in their apartment for lots of it.......He thought he would have to buy it from us....!

Off course they could have it , just come and get it........The silver stuff is still here , but at least it doesnt take up as much space...

It could be worse though.....what if all the music gear I have lent out to family and friends , comes back all at the same time.....yikes...

Yes , I know , I will never get rich......and I dont really care !

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    All true, and sadly some sellers are less than willing to provide additional pics and other info to potential buyers a distance away.

IME if the seller doesn't get angry at a $300 offer on a $400 listing, and the guitar really is worth the solid $400, they might be able to negotiate some sort of deal.

Maybe they settle on a friendly $350 or even $375, with an accent on the friendly.

I've actually given a deposit on a guitar when I didn't have the full amount and the seller wouldn't budge, let them keep it and got it when I had the rest of the cash.

Again, accent on the friendly.
    I'm not leaving my $50 with a pissy seller who takes personal offense to my offer of less than the asking price!
    Unless they have a store that keeps regular business hours.

All that said there are certainly pissy buyers that should be kicked to the curb, even if they only demand you drop the price lower than you are willing to go.

Asking and demanding are very different things.

I wonder how many who hold out for their price for months are willing to remove parts so the buyer can confirm there's no butchery hidden from view?

Seems like sellers that say they won't budge on price also often tend to not want to provide mush of anything extra, like disassembly for inspection or extra pics.

We may know that we are honest and all our guitars are perfect, but buyers get no guarantee off our saintly status.

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    CL is pretty simple if you don't want negotiators. You just have to state it up front. I haven't gotten much in terms of attempts when I say the price is firm, I know what the average going rate is, but I'm just looking to unload to the first person who pays my full price.

Of course, if you do that, and then list something for 150% of actual market price, you look like a doofus.

I used to "price check" people who did that on ebay (listed something overpriced and said they'd take nothing less), but there have been times that it resulted in them accepting a rude bid sent through the offer system.

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Here in Seattle, there's at least one and maybe more self-appointed guardians of CraigsList. Whenever a high-priced vintage or autographed instrument appears, they post a warning not to overpay for dubious items and waggling their finger at greedy sellers. These are usually accompanied by a picture of a goggle-eyed baby or a slack-jawed monkey. Do other regions get that type of nonsense?

For a while we also had an ongoing feud between a repeat seller and someone who felt ripped off by him, but that's died down, thankfully; one of them must have moved out of the area.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.