Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your Favorite Craigslist Lines from Buyers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Oct 9, 2018.

1. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    A couple years back I was selling my truck. The asking price was reasonable for what it was, right in the middle of the local market. This guy comes to my office to look it over and has me out there for 45 minutes as he inspects the truck and keeps trying to talk me WAY down on the price. His reasoning: well, I'm going to have to do this, and fix that, and clean that other thing, before I can sell it.

So, you're trying to haggle ME down so that YOU can make more money in two weeks when you flip it?

Had another guy get very very angry at me that I wouldn't sell him a set of wheels for half of what I was asking, to the point of him calling and screaming at me that there was no one in their right mind that would buy them for that price and that I just needed to accept his offer. F you buddy.

kuvash and telemnemonics like this.
  2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I think that's the reason for the people you mentioned in the prior sentence. They're used to shopping with coupons, but that's their only experience in deviating from tag price.

The number of people around here who have even been to a flea market is shrinking. It's the bad people at flea markets who drive away the general public (e.g., the type who will spot someone selling a deceased relative's stuff, find out that they are, and start belittling them hoping to take advantage. I've been by a booth when that type of person shows up for the fifth time in the same day and starts berating the booth operator and offering them 5% of value of what they're selling).

Done properly "Are you firm on that? If not, I'm thinking ____, let me know what you're thinking". No need to be rude, check in, if the deal isn't there, move on. You've got a booth with no prices on items and you stare at me for five seconds before you can respond, I know that you're sizing me up to see if I'm stupid. If your first response confirms it, I'm moving on, too. We can be nice to each other and still bargain.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I'd have sent that CL list to Gibson. I'm no Gibson fanboy, but they're pretty good at squashing that kind of thing. If that seller finds a buyer between his ask and the epi value, that guitar finds itself on the used market again at some point without admission that it's a fake.

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Specifically, "Boss compatible" power supplies. Which is adverspeak for center negative. In other words, the vast majority of 9v pedal power supplies.

:lol:

Keefsdad likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm not sure I agree with you on that. Sometimes a firm price just means the seller knows their price is fair, low, and reasonable, they know they will get that price, and they don't want to waste time with low-ballers. It saves everyone time to state up front what the expectations are. I prefer that approach, rather than "set an unrealistically high price, and expect to negotiate."

kuvash likes this.
  6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I haven’t really bought or sold on CL, but I have met players through it with varying degrees of success.

I met one guitar player through CL, and while that fell through he did recommend me to a bass player he knew and he is playing with us now, so that paid off really well for me.

Another ad I answered from a guy trying to put together a 60s classic rock band, and he sounded good from the ad. He sounded like he had been playing since high school, but just not in a band lately, and now wanted to put one together. When I finally convinced him to chat on the phone a bit, it turns out he was in a band in HS, but hadn’t actually been playing AT ALL for 40+ years, and he also made a point of bringing up his politics twice during our conversation. I thanked him for his time and didn’t follow up.

Another was a 20 something guy who claimed to be skilled and open to many styles of music. He sounded ok on the phone, but when he got to my house to play, he turned out to be pretty creepy.

We tried to play, but he wasn’t even able to tune his guitar, and proceed to regale me with bad timing, and out of tune jazz chords. He didn’t get a call back.

Looking later I notice he has posted multiple ads begging anyone to play with him.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    In a world where the majority of private buyers and sellers agree with this version of buying and selling, the idea would work.

But the reality is that most buyers and sellers expect to negotiate in face to face used stuff buying and selling.

Trying to force the world into any standard format is not going to have a high incidence of success!

WRT "lowballers" and "unrealistically high price", I'd say that those reactionary ideas are based on a bias against negotiation.

If a buyer who expects to negotiate toward paying $75 when the asking price is $100 on an item that costs $125 new; opens with a $50 offer; and the seller HATES negotiating and has already decided they prefer to have an item up for sale for months instead of attempting to determine a price that works for both buyer and seller; the seller will get angry at a perfectly reasonable buyer simply because the buyer is normal, and expects to negotiate like most normal buyers and sellers.

To be fair to sellers who hate to negotiate, it really does take some practice.

If for example you don't want to negotiate price of your used stuff for sale, how do you deal with applying for a job if there is some negotiation involved?
    Do you simply accept the first offer or walk out on the interview?

How about deciding what movie to see with your mate, or where to have dinner?

Do you decide not to go out if the mate suggests something other than what you prefer?

I had a pretty hard time learning how to negotiate, and found the different styles in different NYC ethnic communities provided valuable lessons.

There was a distinct style in one ethnic group I did a lot of business with, that seemed offensive. But as i observed them using the same method with others, it started to make sense that this was simply their style, and I could do better if i learned to work withing that framework, rather than take offense at an unfamiliar system that was not at all biased against me.

Some retailers in some areas actually yelled rudely at buyers, but if buyers then yelled back in a similarly rude fashion, the dynamic became one of mutual respect.
    Strange stuff, especially when there were language barriers involved.

Learning to negotiate a deal in an unfamiliar situation really expanded my sense of connection with humanity outside of my comfort zone.

I suspect a lot of wars happen as much because of personal communication style differences as because cultures cannot live on opposite sides of the proverbial fence.

One small but helpful detail that someone kindly explained to me in the context of NYC, was that culture A felt disrespected if you didn't look them in the eye when talking with them, where culture B felt disrespected if you did look them in the eye when talking with them.

Similarly when I had a Greek GF and spent a lot of time at family gatherings, it was difficult to accept that I needed to yell at them now and then to fully earn their respect.

Sorry if this seems racist, and it may not be as much Greek as it was a Greek immigrant community in a city where the Greek immigrants were the first batch who built up the industry there during the industrial revolution, after which several subsequent cultures of immigrants came into the city over a century of growth.

Negotiating price is perhaps the groundwork of building cultures.
    After the nomadic hunter gatherer model changed into settlements and trade, we learned new ways and adapted to varying conditions.

When people lose the ability to work things out together one on one, face to face, where do we go as a species?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    JustABluesGuy and Mouth like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My favorite line from the CL responders is: If it's still for sale I'll take it, where can we meet up?

9. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I've got a decent CL story.

I was selling a guitar, can't remember what, and this guy says he wants to buy it. He's working a concert somewhere and wants me to come meet him at 11:30pm somewhere. I decline. The next morning he starts texting me offering all sorts of crazy stuff to trade (lawncare equipment, CD towers, etc). When I show no interest in any of his items, he says "How old are you? I bet I know something you'd be interested in."

The way he phrased it made it sound like he wanted to offer me some pot/etc in a trade. When I told him I was no longer interested in doing business with him, he went completely nuts. He told me that my texts were a binding legal contract, and that he could force me to sell him the guitar. When I respectfully declined again, he wanted to know where I lived so he could come fight me and "see what you're made of." For the life of me I can't figure out what would make that guy think that I would give him my home address and sell him my guitar after he threatened to beat me up.

That's probably the worst CL situation I've ever been in. I've never done CL deals at my home, but especially not since then. I always demand meeting at the local library during business hours. I always demand to know the make/model of the vehicle they'll be driving to meet me, but I do not disclose the make/model of my own vehicle. When they get there, it gives me a chance to check them out and decide if anything funny is going on.

If I do a CL deal, every single factor is going to be slanted in my favor. When we meet, where we meet, the terms of the trade/sale, etc. I'm sure it sounds paranoid, but there are some crazy people out there.

elihu likes this.
  10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Just today.."I will trade you my PRS for your Boss GT100" PRS.jpg ...results

unfamous and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Sounds like south philly. If you're ordering food and they start yelling at you and you wilt, they get really impatient and really start yelling!

if you yell back and you overreact and start getting angry for real, they'll ask you what your problem is.

12. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    Exactly, and then he went on about "if I put batteries in it, it will wreck the thing!"

13. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Lonn, if you’d move closer to me I’ll buy some of your guitars you sell. I promise.

14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I had an AVRI 52 Tele for sale a few years ago, that was in showroom condition. A guy texts me that he will give me 600 bucks for it, and that's all it was worth. I didn't respond, then I got a raft of texts telling me he could buy them all day long for 600 bucks and I was a no good so and so for not selling him mine. I told him to go buy one of the ones he could buy all day long for 600, and that I wasn't going to respond to him anymore. I sold the guitar a few days later for what I was asking. I got a text a few days later telling me he had bought a Strat for 600 bucks that was 10 TIMES better than my Tele. I didn't respond, I didn't care. I did think it was remarkable he found a Strat that was 10 TIMES better than my Tele, that's a lot!

15. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    That was you? I'm still mad about that. I want that guitar! What's your address?

Seriously though, it's amazing anything ever gets done in the world.

He sure showed you TD! I love those guys the most, the ones that showed me. Next time I'll know better!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Haha yeah I've had a change of heart, absolutely come to my house and you can name your price on the guitar and anything that catches your fancy.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Our local police department has a CL meet up spot in their parking lot that has video cameras.

18. tele_savales

tele_savales TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    "Oh you sold it, huh? How much did you sell it for?"

19. tele_savales

tele_savales TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Brooklyn, Joey!
    No matter how bad the general public is, it can't be ANY worse than trying to unload gear to Guitar Center...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Hello Mr. Guitar Center guy I have an all original 52 Tele I'd like to sell, what would it be worth to you guys. I think we can go fiddy bucks. Okay I'll take it. Mr. Guitar Center guy, hold on there little range rover, I meant fiddy bucks from you for us to take it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.