Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your Favorite Craigslist Lines from Buyers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Oct 9, 2018.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    the fact that he was never two blocks away to begin with, but was probably stalling by asking for directions and then decided to say he was two blocks away when he decided he'd never come.

Some people are just cowards.

2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Unfortunately, I’ve was “that guy” once...

I set a guitar up with a test amp in my garage while an interested buyer headed over to look. After dialing her in, I managed to back into the guitar and knock it off it’s stand. I split the headstock right down the middle. I tried calling the guy right away to tell him to turn around, but good responsible individual he was, he wouldn’t answer the phone while driving. The guy shows up and looked at me like I was the biggest a-hole in the world when I told him this story. All I could do was hang my head in shame and apologize.

Somewhere, at some point this guy has told his version of this story about the douchebag on CL selling a guitar with a broken headstock. :(

3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Well, if you had pre-pictures, the worst he could do is believe you.

You missed an opportunity to ask him if he'd give an extra $100 for it now that you relic'd it.

Rustbucket and kuvash like this.
  4. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    Regarding a Boss pedal I was selling "well, I guess I could take a chance on finding the right power supply for this, at half your asking price" Yeah, very hard to find a 9 volt power supply.

kuvash, bender66 and thegreatshocka like this.
  5. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
    I once advertised a childrend's picnic table I'd built, the ad title read "Toddler Sized / Children's picnic Table", had pics showing the scale, I posted the exact dimensions, height, width, etc.

Guy drives 2+ hours down from Napa to buy it. (btw, do they not have home despot in Napa?)
    Sees it in person, and suddenly realizes it's not a full sized picnic table.

I kinda felt bad for him, I mean, at least he showed up.

bender66 and thegreatshocka like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I may have already said this, but I have zero interest in listening to a story how the guy only has half or two thirds of what you're asking for an item. If he's that hard up, he shouldn't be out buying sh*t. If he is just trying to flip it, I can go ahead and do that job myself.

nojazzhere and Piggy Stu like this.
  7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I was selling a large pet cage. A woman emailed to say that she wanted a large cage but couldn't afford how much they cost, and would I lower my price.
    I told her to buy a smaller cage.

8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I was selling a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. a few years back and I had one guy e-mail me to see if I'd be interested in an old JBL rack power amp and a case of 50 8-foot fluorescent tubes as a trade. That, or a digital 35mm SLR camera.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I forgot my car was another CL buy. It was listed at $2800 which was a little over half book value. Kept looking for something cheaper and closer by but it came up again at $2300.
    Went and looked at it one a cold February afternoon in failing light, drove it, crawled around underneath it, drove it some more, and felt like it was worth more than I could offer.
    While I was looking through the fat folder of service records, I asked the guy if he would take $1900 cash for a Volvo he'd owned since new and had serviced at the dealer the whole time, book around $5500 or something like that.

He was stunned that I wanted to buy it right then and had a pile of hundred dollar bills.

So he countered with $1850.

I guess they guy was so relieved to not have yet another freak show...

10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Funny you mention that, I actually met my wife on CL; in the random hookups section.

Our first date was 57 hours.

Edit: OK it was her listing and the heading was

I can't post it here, never mind...

getbent likes this.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    We're all the person we don't want to be at some point.

I sold some car parts on Friday on another forum. Told the buyer I'd get them sent out Saturday. As noon was approaching and the town post office was about to close, I said to myself ahh the post office in the gas station is open until 5, I'll go there later. 4:30 I pull in, walk in and they've taken the post office out. I was just there a couple days ago!

So I message the buyer and tell him I'll get them out on Monday. Monday rolls around, Columbus day! Mother....

So I tell the guy before noon today and that's what I did. Locked my keys in my car, but I had the box outside with me, so I was able to go in and send it.

telemnemonics and Harry Styron like this.
  12. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    Speaking of CL....I just saw a Epi Flying V for sale there....and the guy admits he put a Gibson logo on it..and wants $1000 for an EPi that sold for $400...thats a scam guitar!

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    They say every criminal mastermind makes a mistake to unravel their genius

cincyguitarplay and Whatizitman like this.
  14. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    A (three) likely story (stories)!

Mouth likes this.
  15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    To protect yourself from crazy get a google number! This number will then forward the text/voice-call to your phone. You get a layer of anonymity where they can't trace a number to your address, etc. And you can have google block callers for you and also not have it forward those 2AM texts about your item you listed before going to bed.

thegreatshocka likes this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    this a story about me, trying to buy a small GoPro video camera. Friend asked me to do a video for a song he wrote. I have some background in doing these things, but it was back before digital. As in 16mm, actual film, whatever.

So I see a reasonable looking GoPro on CL; seller claims to be in S. Austin. Great, I'm there on the weekend. Reasonably fair price for this model.

I send a text; standard; "interested, would like to look it over, if it is as represented, ok, cash, same number as you ask."

so, seller responds, ah, ok, when do you want to see it?
    How about Saturday?
    Oh, ok, Saturday might be ok, confirm by text on Friday. Oh, btw, we're in Bastrop, not S. Austin.

Hmmm, Bastrop is about 30 minutes from Austin. But it's on my way into town. Oh ok.

so I confirm by text friday. They say ok, where? I say, how about we meet at the pecan place with the giant squirrel out front. Meet half way, sort of. Oh, ok, I know where that is.

If you drive to Austin, you see that everytime. big parking lot out front, lots of people. 20-foot tall squirrel statue. Pretty distinctive, nothing else like it for at least a thousand miles, AFAIK.

Oh, ok, will do. time agreed to.

On my way, I get a text. Are we still on?
    Yep, I'm on my way.
    Oh, ok, might be 10 minutes late.
    fine.
    About 10 minutes later than 10 minutes late, no one.
    Text: where?
    I thought you meant Buckee's.

(Buckee's is a giant travel stop franchise, with a BEAVER as a mascot, no statue.)

Uh, nope.
    Well, it might take another half-hour.
    Uh, nope, let's not.
    Ok.

The cautious side says: general weirdness by this time made me think that the seller didn't actually have a camera, and was just looking for someone to bring some cash. The optimist said, well maybe they might, but they're either not interested in selling or not particularly competent. Either way, not a large transaction.

Ended up getting what I wanted from Best Buy; made the video. Life goes on.

unfamous likes this.
  17. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    Okay, so I admit that I have a game I like to play with local online sales:

I live in a suburb just north of a large city. If people live south of the large city I tell them that I live "up north" but that I work in the large city and wonder if we could meet somewhere in between. They will often meet me just a few miles from my work place. I don't think I've ever not bought an item I've met up for, though, and I always pay the asking price.

Sometimes I meet them in the parking lot of the city building (which houses the police station) that is blocks from my house. I often show up early and take down the license plate number and sometimes take photos in case a deal goes south so I can give police some info.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Or your survivors can give the info to police.....we've sadly had a few people killed in CL/robberies around here. One was a woman selling her jewelry to be able to buy Christmas gifts for her children.:(

19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”It’s in the mail...honest”

20. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Interesting that buyers seem to often offer a price before meeting.

Unless it's something that never gets any wear or damage and has no possible variation in spec, I never agree to a price on an item I have not yet inspected.

I might write and ask if a seller is open to a lower offer on an item that's been listed for a long time at a higher than market price though, particularly if it's a longer drive than I'm interested in taking with no hope of a deal being made.

Also interesting that some feel it's insulting to be offered less than the asking price, or that an offer of 50% suggests the buyers actually expects to pay 50% of the asking price.

When I was a flea market antique dealer in NYC pretty much every buyer and seller understood that negotiating price is a negotiation.
    An opening offer starts the negotiation, so no need to be offended by a lowball offer.

If a seller puts a firm price on a used item for sale, they seemingly have little experience in face to face buying and selling of used stuff.

But if buyers or sellers quickly get offended by things they don't expect during negotiations, maybe they are just unsuited to buying and selling outside of big retail establishments?

Negotiations of anything are maybe an acquired skill, and might ought to be taught in grade school, since we are going to find ourselves in negotiations when we try to get a job, buy a house, move in with a romantic involvement, or even decide where to have dinner with friends.

Basic communication ought to be able to determine if there is a price that satisfies both the buyer and the seller, but if the seller is immediately offended, it's hard to figure out what that price might be.

If a seller lists at their lowest price, they get stuck negotiating when they have no room to move. Plus they lose the chance to sell to a buyer who isn't cheap, and further lose all the buyers who assume a cheap price must indicate that the item is not as described.

Expecting buyers to meet the sellers expectations never goes well.

Expectations are premeditated resentments!

unfamous likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.