Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Your Favorite Craigslist Lines from Buyers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Oct 9, 2018.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I'm not much of a buyer on CL, unless people will ship things (even in my own city). I've never found anything in the city that's less than an hour round trip, with the potential (this is Pittsburgh - not a grid) of an hour turning into 3 due to surprise weekend lane closures.

However, I've sold guitars on CL in the past (not now...will describe why), and sold amps on CL, too. And a banjo.

(the last guy who bought an amp brought a friend, tied us up at the house for two hours while he played, and then ultimately bought the amp - but wife and kids got stuck waiting for me and they're not having that again - so the mrs. said no more house buyers, I have to meet people somewhere instead. We did tell him we were in a hurry, but the amp was a two channel rivera amp and he was particular and wanted to experience every sound it could possibly make).

(I've had good luck with CL, by the way - better than I'd ever expect, and never a bad experience - I've ignored tire kickers or typical "can you hold this for a week for me" - those people never show up).

First guy:
    * I'm interested in ___, but I'm not too sure about it. I want to come over and look through your other stuff and see if you have anything else I might want. (!!!). He may have said that as a joke, but when you list one thing, and someone asks if they can just go through all of your stuff? I don't doubt he's had success doing that.

*Second guy: expensive banjo involved (not sure if the guy got me through CL or banjohangout, he sent me a text, and then a follow-up email).

"Hey, I have a connecting flight in pitt international - gets in at 10pm, and I have a meeting the next morning. Can you bring the banjo to PIT at the marriott after 10 PM sunday night so I can look at it?". There was some lead time (a couple of weeks before the actual flight date), and given the cost of the instrument, I considered taking it to the airport, as buyers for $4k used instruments are not plentiful.

Dude #2 also asked me to hold/delist the banjo until then (which I wasn't willing to do).

I told him it might be possible, but I'd wait until closer to his flight and get back to him. Thankfully, someone from belgium spotted the banjo on a search and asked if I'd ship it to his friend in Virginia. I told him his friend would have to pay through paypal (so that payment and address would match), he did, and that was that. When I contacted dude #2 to let him know the banjo sold, he said he was bummed. After his flight came though, he sent me another message letting me know it didn't get in until 2am.

I'm glad to not be telling about the time I drove to the airport to take a banjo to a guy, and sat in the lobby of the marriott for 4 1/2 hours.

Ever have any oddball CL experiences that weren't part of the normal tire kickers, scam emails or just outright rude people?

2. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    "Do you have a Marshall stack I can play it through, so I can hear what it sounds like?"

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    "I'm on my way"

4. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Wimauma Florida
    I only brought $250 with me. (On a $300 item)

Me: Well it looks like you need to go find some more money!

Here, let me hold the door for you!

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    "I'd estimate it weighs between eight and nine pounds"!

Better still though: "Here is a pic of a blade sharpened on this stone taken through a microscope".

bparnell57, GeekPriest and BrandonIke like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    My favorite was the guy who came to pick up the free freezer in my basement.
    Stated in the ad, "it works, it's free, it's in the basement, don't come alone because I'm not helping you move it".

Guy comes alone with a small hand truck and can't get it out of the basement.

What do I do?
    I help him move the damn thing just to get rid of him and the freezer...

Luthi3rz, kelnet, kuvash and 2 others like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

she wrote: I work at a dog groomer's, so, I know a spot on the male prostate that will drive you.... oh wait....

wmsimpson, rich815, Dave W and 2 others like this.
  8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    I'll write you a check (as they dig out their checkbook and a pen). Uh..........nope.

9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Guys who say they're a long ways away and thus want a cheaper price. Buy stuff closer to home!

10. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    thats happened to me also.
    i just pointed to the atm.

YeOldeTeleDuder and Piggy Stu like this.
  11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    People tend to actually like the later one, at least if they're spending a significant amount. It's a bigger pain in the arse than tracking down the scale on a guitar when someone else has used it, though - so I generally check a blade and give an "about" comment and qualitative statement. If someone asks for me to do something that takes an hour to make an extra ten dollars, the stone they're asking about usually gets bought out from under them without issue. Kind of like guitars. No need to deal with tire kickers when a legitimate buyer is sneaking up behind them.

12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I think you're browsing a different section than the rest of us, unless you were looking for grooming.

telemnemonics, getbent and nojazzhere like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My worst experience was a kid who "said" he was interested in my old BF Princeton, but didn't know ANYTHING about them. He wanted to try it at a Starbucks where he worked...it was on my way home after work so I agreed to bring it by. I got there, and he had already left. He later called and apologized, but then wanted me to bring it back to Starbucks 'cause he did a three hour solo gig there, and wanted to "audition" it for the full three hours. (meaning I would have to stay) I explained (nicely) that I'm not an amp loaner company, nor am I a music store where you can play to your hearts content.....it's a BF Princeton in perfect condition, for cryin' out loud!!!!! I quit returning his emails, and shortly later sold it to a guy playing at Billy Bob's Texas for some visiting star. This guy didn't even plug it in.....just wanted to pull the chassis out to make sure it hadn't been modded. Paid my asking price (which was fair) without discussion.

Utah Joe, rich815 and JayFreddy like this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I can identify with your second guy. You sell me an amp that's common, we confirm that it's stock and nothing was missing from the listing, I don't need to sit at your house for a half hour and put you under a bright light. It wastes my time and yours, and I can always come back with a scowl on my face if you lied to me (never been burned by that).

Bought a (push) mower from an indian lady one year. She wanted me to start it to make sure it worked. It was two years old, it wouldn't start, and she said her husband was a doc and they stopped mowing their lawn after the first year and paid someone else to do it. I gave her the money and told her I'd figure it out when I got home. Honda mower, no choke and no primer, and a year and a half of sitting just meant it needed a bunch of additional pulls to get fuel through. I was excited to get it for her asking price (1/3rd of new) - still using it 13 years later.

kuvash, Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    There's a variation behind that person (my wife's friend, who always wants you to do thing for her). If you can't help her out, she always ends with "well, I would've made time to do it for you if you asked for me". I've had buyers say "I'd have ____ if it was me selling". It's easy to say that.

Anyone who has ever coordinated a group buy and bought items without having money in hand from every purchaser ahead of time knows how different what people do vs. what they say they'll do can be.

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I learned the hard way to avoid CG like the plague years ago. Free, easy, and anonymous brings out the dregs.

I have good experiences with FB Marketplace, though. Being able to check out who is contacting you (and who/what they associate with) helps keeps people honest.

17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have bought and sold tons on CL, and really have not had a bad experience. Everyone has always acted straight up. You can spot the flakes from a mile away once you learn how. The super-low ballers, the money-order scammers, the "I'll buy it sight unseen just ship it to me in India..." etc. I just delete or ignore those. A real buyer always turns up soon enough.

rich815 likes this.
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    the .45 i have in the back of my pants keeps them honest as well.

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Been there on that, too. "free if you can haul it, bring enough help to do it without me". two things happen:
    * I can't haul that, but can you bring it to me?
    * one guy shows up and says his buddies canceled on him, but he was coming anyway just to check to see if he could still get it

(anything heavy, I always overdescribe the number of lifters needed so that if someone comes two short, it's me subbing for one guy and nobody goes to the doctor over a 450 pound free item).

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    I would rather sniff out the crazy before letting it anywhere near me, my family, or my house. I would rather not have to threaten or shoot someone if I can avoid it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.