Your favorite boutique-y amps, and why?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RoscoeElegante, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Tone King Imperial and Victoria Chicagolux. Tone King Falcon on the way.

Attached Files:

Chester Burnett likes this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

been through a bunch amps this past year..settled on great platforms ..took to my tech & made them right..for my music style. Amazing

JMP50-1987 circuit el34.hoffman board.made to a 4 holer 2204 circuit with some radical gain mods Trainwreck3 PPIMV
    JTM45-6l6, oversize tranny. kept it pretty close to specs,MV
    JTM50 el34.SS & tube rec switch, Its a B;ack Flag basicaly with maybe a tad more gain..its nasty Trainwreck 3 PPIMV

Was able to customize.kept the spirit of the original amps..but only doing original music..have my own sound sorta to uit my needs.
    Way worth the time to learn the circuits & change them..all 3 prob came in at under 1 expensive new one. 3plex1 (2).jpg

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

perhaps partially true, but a Fender amp from the era is based on an RCA Red Book design. Leo built on the initial designs, he didn't invent them, just as those that followed.

Sounds changed, gear changes, requirements changed. I am the worlds #1 Twin Reverb fan but the Dr Z Maz 38 I have is no contest, they are not even close. and they shouldn't be.

The modern era EL84 designed amps , be it 2 x El84 or 4 x El84 are not based on Fender designs . Many of these amps are indeed similar but many also have totally different voicings and "growl " points.

Amps today can be selected by the player for specific purposes and needs, yesterdays Fender amps, as good as they are, need to FIT the need. Don't get me wrong, i am all in and a lover of vintage Fender amps, I am not dissing them.

There are no 4 x El84 amps that are Fender copies. If anything, when Fender decided to built the Blues Jr, they probably copied something else ! I have a Blues Jr by the way, I love it.

Regarding the "boo-tique" amps , I can only speak to the Dr Z Maz 18 and 38's, pretty dang good and worth it. Very different from what I have been previously using for decades.

It took me a very long time, decades, to step up, I'm glad I finally did. That being said I still have a few other amps for various purposes and needs . The Dr Z Maz 38 is " In addition to" not a "replacement" for the others.

Chester Burnett and Larry F like this.
  4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, some real innovative builders copied Vox designs and some even blended them with Fender circuits.

https://reverb.com/news/5-classic-amp-circuits-and-their-modern-boutique-counterparts

T Prior likes this.
  5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

https://reverb.com/news/5-classic-amp-circuits-and-their-modern-boutique-counterparts

6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

very interesting read above. But at the end of the day, many of them, while they are similar, sound different , so we judge one against the other.

So I wonder where the early VOX circuits came from as I am thinking that they didn't invent EL34's or EL84's. :eek:

All cars, well most, have 4 wheels , a motor, steering wheel and brakes. Oh and a seat.

Henry F apparently started a trend.

Mike Simpson likes this.
  7. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Delete.

8. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

Like many others here I've owned a ton of amps, some boutique. The speaker type and how broken in it is can dramatically change the sound of an amp. I like the older Fender Princeton reverb amps with the totally broken in floppy speaker surround.

As far as boutiques I currently own an Allen Encore and an Allen Chihuahua, both combos built myself from kits. The Encore has awesome reverb with a "reverb" level and tone control. The reverb's tone has a huge affect on the overall tone of the amp. The Encore also lush bias tremolo, super low noise floor with the 1st preamp tube right next to the input jack and a RAW control that when used in conjunction with the master control can produce really warm distortion or grit at any speaker volume level. I ordered it with the Eminence Double-T 12 Travis Toy Signature Speaker so it's a bit optimized for steel guitar.

[​IMG]

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Allen Encore Guitar Amp/Allen Encore Guitar Amp.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Allen Chihuahua Amp/Allen Chihuahua Amp.html

BB likes this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I’ve owned a few boutique amps and have played a Bad Cat, a Carr, and a Tone King.

I very happy with my current Marshalls and BF Fender amps but I am really curious to try/own:

• Homestead Amp
    • Magnatone Amp (new models)
    Billy Gibbons sure sounds good playing his new Magnatone amps.

Anyone here own either one of these amps?

10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I like Victoria for the idealized tweediness.
    May favorite crunchy amps are Budda.
    I don't have any of those though. I have Fenders and a Mesa.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I haven't tried all these amps, but I have a friend who is always buying and selling high end stuff, and he has had 2 of the hand wired 64 deluxes - AND THEY ARE DIVINE. probably the best (to me) amplifiers I have ever played. angels from guitar heaven,

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've heard some very nice noises out of 65 Amps and Top Hat.

13. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

My Carr Rambler is my favorite amp that I've ever had. Its like every good Fender amp rolled into one, except better.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the Fryette Memphis

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.