Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Your Bass Amp : Solid State,Tube,or Hybrid

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Wyzsard, May 9, 2017.

Solid state, tube, hybrid, other

1. Tube

14.6%
  2. Hybrid

14.6%
  3. Solid state

72.9%
  4. Other: DI, etc

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    Mesa Bass 400+ tube head.

Wyzsard likes this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I have done a lot of thinking about the benefits of the amp with the bass guitar. Tube versus solid state and etc. What I really feel is more important is the speakers and the cabinets that are driving them. With the bass falling so low on the EQ and the importance of pushing high air volume the speaker definitely gets a workout.

I had a half stack full of 10" speakers, a box with a 15" speaker and a horn (horn was disabled) and my closed back 2x12. I prefer the 2x12 in most instances but there is something about that 15" speaker that really makes the bass stand out more. As a P Bass kind of guy, that thump just does something for me. Although if I was a Jazz guy the 4x10 might be just the medicine. And the 2x12 just kind of fits in between.

Wyzsard likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I voted tube just because I picked up an old '81 UL Bassman head and it's become my main bass amp for the past six months or so. I run it through a 2 x 10 cabinet. But I have a Fender Rumble 40 and that works just as well. Not sure tube vs. solid state matters with a bass amp, at least with the way I play it - without distortion.

Wyzsard likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I like massive headroom, but I don't like trying to carry 300 watt tube amps. Solid state all the way...

Wyzsard likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.