Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Your Bass Amp : Solid State,Tube,or Hybrid

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Wyzsard, May 9, 2017.

Solid state, tube, hybrid, other

1. Tube

11.7%
  2. Hybrid

16.7%
  3. Solid state

70.0%
  4. Other: DI, etc

3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    Mesa Bass 400+ tube head.

Wyzsard likes this.

2. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I have done a lot of thinking about the benefits of the amp with the bass guitar. Tube versus solid state and etc. What I really feel is more important is the speakers and the cabinets that are driving them. With the bass falling so low on the EQ and the importance of pushing high air volume the speaker definitely gets a workout.

I had a half stack full of 10" speakers, a box with a 15" speaker and a horn (horn was disabled) and my closed back 2x12. I prefer the 2x12 in most instances but there is something about that 15" speaker that really makes the bass stand out more. As a P Bass kind of guy, that thump just does something for me. Although if I was a Jazz guy the 4x10 might be just the medicine. And the 2x12 just kind of fits in between.

erratick and Wyzsard like this.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I voted tube just because I picked up an old '81 UL Bassman head and it's become my main bass amp for the past six months or so. I run it through a 2 x 10 cabinet. But I have a Fender Rumble 40 and that works just as well. Not sure tube vs. solid state matters with a bass amp, at least with the way I play it - without distortion.

Wyzsard likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I like massive headroom, but I don't like trying to carry 300 watt tube amps. Solid state all the way...

Jakedog and Wyzsard like this.

6. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    The Gorge
    IMG_0050.JPG GK MB-Fusion or Passinwind PW8B driving a fEarful 12.6 and 12.sub setup. Or an MB-200 driving a custom 2x1x10 rig.

Or on acoustic support gigs playing ABG and a lot of fretless, one of a couple of floor eq/preamps I own, usually a Fishman ProPlatinum eQ driving a QSC K-12.

I can dial up most anything I want in my floor chain. That goes to FoH all the time and so my rig is a monitor for me and the drums. No reason to carry something like an SVT or 400+ for me at this point.

The Mb-Fusion is my fave GK yet. Hard to find a bad sound in it. The Passinwind PW8B is a custom beastie built by a friend. It has a incredibly low noise floor and some intersting bass specific features.
    • Variable hi-pass with defeat switch
    • Impedance selection switch for active or passive basses
    • Single band fully parametric eq switch defeatable
    • post eq Jensen DI.
    • Buffered effects loop
    • Preamp out/ power amp in loop
    The rest is gain, bass, middle, treble, master volume plus aux in, SUV volume. The ides was something with on board power (700 watts at 4 ohms) that was also 'mic-pre' clear with nice tone shaping options for recording. He hit it out of the park... pic above is a PW-8 sister to my amp in testing.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Wyzsard likes this.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a Hartke Kickback 12 for rehearsals and more acoustic gigs and a bass stack with an Ashly preamp > Carver Power Amp > SWR 2 x 10H cab > Carvin 1 x 15" cab bi-amping the two cabinets. So, no tubes at all. I have used the Carvin cab with a Traynor Bassmaster hear from the '70's.

Wyzsard likes this.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

This seems to be true of any number of mid-powered amps and combos so how any given manufacturer chooses to rate theirs bears some comparison between different models before buying. Yours wouldn't be the only case of a supposedly much lower powered amp blowing another away Tony. IME I've never known Roland to over estimate what any of their amps can honestly produce.

I've downsized to a single lightweight Class D 250w 1x15 combo that I run with a Zoom pre-amp to access a couple of it's amp models and a few other features and much smaller 75w 1x10 that can be used for rehearsals or unplugged gigs. I could even use the little guy as a stage monitor when going through a good FOH PA. The bigger amp can handle any gig I might run into these days.

Tony474 and Wyzsard like this.

9. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Yup, I have one, too, and I agree. For home, jazz gigs and small jams, it is indeed THE BOMB. CS

Wyzsard likes this.

10. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Gig rig: Markbass Little Mark II and Fender Rumble 1X15 cabinet. CS

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Wyzsard likes this.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Carvin Micro Bass thru home made 1x12 containing what looks like a early Eminence 12", Looks horrible (1/2" butt jointed ply brush painted black w/ kicker box grille) neighbor put it out for the trash along with a vintage Atlas mike stand. Sounds really good I have some feet I've been meaning to put on. Would like a old SB-12 just for fun.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Wyzsard likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.