Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Your Bass Amp : Solid State,Tube,or Hybrid

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Wyzsard, May 9, 2017.

Solid state, tube, hybrid, other

1. Tube

14.6%
  2. Hybrid

14.6%
  3. Solid state

72.9%
  4. Other: DI, etc

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. erratick

erratick Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    SoCal
    I have tube and SS. Practice is usually DI into the computer and out headphones. Most of the time with others I prefer using a Silverface Fender bassman head into 2x10. But sometimes reliability or convenience makes me use the old GK 400RB- that one used to be into 4x10 but now 2x10 (or I have a 1x15 I leave in the practice space and just move the head around).

My best tone is the tube head and the Bassman into 2x10 sounds good for guitar also. But the tone from DI is pretty good with some computer tweaking and the GK is bulletproof and never sounds bad.

I'm jealous of the workingman 10. Also somebody had a little ampeg that looked amazing. Lots of good stuff in this thread.

68Telebass and Wyzsard like this.
  2. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    What little bass noodling I do is on a Fender B-DEC 30 or with a VOX Bass amPlug 2.

Wyzsard likes this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Same here, large hartke bi-amp with blendable pre-amp. Its my second - 1st one fried by faulty venue wiring.

Wyzsard likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    A 1969 Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster head -- but I use it for guitar with a patch lead linking the two channels. For a 45W amp (two el34 power tubes) it can go very loud if required.

Wyzsard likes this.
  6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    My wife's bass amp is a 60 watt Hiwatt MIC combo. It does the job nicely. I used to have a 300 watt Peavy until it was stolen. Both solid state.

One day I'd love to get an Ampeg. I don't think bass amps really need to be tube unless you are pushing them to break-up and after that sound.

Wyzsard likes this.
  7. jwoertz

jwoertz Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    After gigging with an Eden stack for a while, I down-sized to a Roland Cube 120XL (of all things, I know) and am still loving my tone. It still cuts through the mix, too. Could't believe it!

erratick, Wyzsard and Tony474 like this.
  8. FerruleCat

FerruleCat TDPRI Member

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and Ampeg Portaflex 350. Run through a pair of DIY 1-12s.

Wyzsard, erratick and 68Telebass like this.
  9. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    On a side note, I installed an Altec 15" speaker, a 12AY7 and JJ6V6S in a Fender Excelsior and used it a bar gig with a small ensemble with acoustic/sax/keys/vocals through a Bose array and a cocktail drum kit and it held it's own. Doesn't like the piezo in my AEB guitar, but does magnetic p'ups just fine.

Wyzsard likes this.
  10. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    My Yamaha BBT500H and two DIY 12 inch cabinets.
    "Until death do us part..."

yamaha bbt500h.JPG

Wyzsard likes this.
  11. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    Roland Cube 100, great amp. I also played a Bassman 100 tube amp for years and an Ampeg also. All great amps.

Wyzsard, jwoertz and Tony474 like this.
  12. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Kentucky
    My tube head has landed.
    Ampeg PF-50T.
    0513170019.jpg

Knocked my Rumble 500 head of it's perch.

0513170221.jpg

Jakedog likes this.
  13. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Fender road bass 100. Brilliant solid state.

Wyzsard likes this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I use two. I have a Markbass Jeff Berlin combo. It's the earliest iteration. Class A/B SS, made in Italy. 300 watts, 1x15.

The "big rig", that I've been using for everything since I got it, is a Hartke LH500 head (tube pre, SS back end, basically a BF Bassman with a 500 watt clean power amp) into a GK Neo 2x12 cab. I honestly don't see myself ever needing more rig than this. It's just huge sounding.

Wyzsard likes this.
  15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've got 500+ gigs over the last decade on an Acoustic Image Clarus head. Class D. 3.5 lbs. 400 watts at 8 ohms. Equally good with electric or with upright. It must sound good, I keep getting gigs

broadcaster and Wyzsard like this.
  16. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    GK MB200 > 2X10

GK 700RB-2 > 4x10

Ampeg B100R

I have owned Bogen, Supro, Ampeg & Peavey tube heads in the past for bass. Stayin' with SS now for portability.

Wyzsard likes this.
  17. Squittolo

Squittolo TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Italia
    Ashdown CTM 15
    for practicing at home;

Hartke LH 1000 for on-stage use.

Wyzsard likes this.
  18. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Just out of pure interest, I used to have an Ampeg Portabass 250. It contained a very lightweight Aura neodymium-magnet speaker, which was very poorly made, totally unsuited to the purpose and cooked itself on a gig. I replaced it with an Eminence Delta bass speaker which was much better, if considerably heavier. However, for an alleged 250-watt amp it wasn't particularly loud and my Bass Cube 100 blows it comprehensively into the weeds.

Wyzsard likes this.
  19. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    Depends...

Most live stuff is SS, with a Fender Rumble 500 head. Experimenting starting tomorrow with an Ampeg Classic pedal into a Straight Ahead power amp (whole thing fits in cable bag), so, all SS

Recording work is (usually) the A side of a 71 Twin converted to Super Bassman specs, so all tube

Wyzsard likes this.
  20. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Hybrid. Mesa Walkabout Scout, 400 watts. Tune preamp, NOT class D.

It's like a 300 watt B15. Probably one of the best amps out there for old school tone.

Wyzsard and Jakedog like this.
  21. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Yes and Yes.

I also have the older Fender Rumble 100, it does just great and has an XLR out for plugging into the PA is that is an option.

And if no PA, then it is the old Kustom Mark III I have that probably was wired by some protege of Mr Peavey. Same circuit as far as I can tell. I play it through an old Peavey 2x12 Cab I have and it sounds great.

Wyzsard likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.