Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

You know you're a lumberjack when,,,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Feb 7, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    you know he's a logger - he stirs his coffee with his thumb.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    WOW!...that's MORE than impressive.
    I had to take down a LARGE Bradford Pear that was beginning to split apart and threatened my house. Nothing near what your video shows, but I have to pat myself on the back because every large limb fell roughly where I wanted it to, and ZERO damage to my (new) roof. The hardest part was cutting everything up small enough to put out by the curb for the city to pick up. Since they only do it once every thirty days, it took over three months to get it all gone......the city's guidelines dictate they will pick up a load that's approximately the volume of a VW Beetle each time without extra charge.

Shuster likes this.
  3. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Sorry Tery, didn't see ya down thereo_O

tery likes this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    LOL!
    I just want to be the guy driving the Last truck;)

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I've watched the OP video many times... as inspiration before I fell trees... gotta love the dudes who do it every day and know the whole equation for making it land exactly on the spot... Generally, I never miss. But, I have been wrong before... just the once... and it was enough to remind me that I ain't an arborist who is expert... We got almost 6' of snow at the cabin and I expect there will be a bunch of downed trees when I get up there next....

6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    There was an Irishman named McGrass
    His bollocks were made out of brass
    When he clanged them together
    They played Stormy Weather
    And flames shot out of his a** :lol::D

Zipslack likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One of the important lessons I learned when I joined with my wife's family was that loggers are not lumberjacks. No one here is sure what a lumberjack is; maybe they work in the mills?

@getbent, that's a heck of a picture! So many trucks today with big loads of "pecker poles".

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  8. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Wimauma Florida
    I've been asking this question since 1996 and I've never gotten an answer.

If the opposite of win is loose what is the opposite of tight?

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    They prefer to be called "loggers."

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    The trees the loggers cut down here are all pretty small, mostly done with machines, very few loggers use chainsaws at all.
    Mostly because the big timber was clear cut between the late 1800's and early 1900's by real lumberjacks with hand saws and axes. There's a little virgin timber left in Itasca State Park and there's the "lost 40". Outside of that very few big trees were missed by the timber companies that raped Minnesota.
    With modern logging techniques they should have the whole state clear cut again before long.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    When I worked in forestry, the actual job posting was "faller."

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I drop about 50 trees a year on our property. Most from 80' to 100' tall. My dad fought forest fires during college summer breaks and taught me how to drop a tree regardless of which way it's leaning. 22 years later, I can drop a tree on a dime ... most of the time. The toughest trees to drop are the perfectly straight ones. I like a slightly windy day to fall trees, just because of that.

"Faller" and "logger" are the terms used up here.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Toto'sDaD were you wearing a check flannelette shirt and how were your actions received by neighbours et.al? Good one Mate!o_O

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    When you have a bumper sticker on your pickup which says: “Spotted Owl, it’s what’s for dinner.”

P Thought likes this.
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

you're a lumberjack when you lift up flat timber....:rolleyes:

boom boom tish...:D

16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Or, "Earth First. We'll log the other planets later."

17. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    that was impressive for sure

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I had a roommate who was doing logging for a while and that's what he told me. But technically I'm sure you're correct. Another friend of mine does timber cruises to evaluate stands of forests for harvesting. I'm sure I've heard him use the term "faller." Neither of them used "lumberjack."

On the other hand there's a married couple who have a tree service company here called "Lumberjack and Jill."

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Yeah, I think "logger" is a more general term, separated into faller, chokerman, bucker, and so on.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The limbs of the tree were actually contacting the wires on windy days and causing sparks to fly. I decided it was a hazard and climbed up there with a chain saw and started whittling away. THEN, I saw the big limb that I thought I had notched out to fall away from the wires heading towards them! It didn't take long for me to calculate what was going to happen when the wires hit, I tossed the saw and turned lose and jumped right then! I was very fortunate not to have been seriously injured by the fall to earth.

The power company at first was going to charge me a lot of money for the call out, and repairs, and replacement of the transformer. It turns out however it was the power companies responsibility to keep the trees cut away from their utility lines, so I got away virtually clean on the deal. Good thing to, 'cause in those days, I lacked forty seven dollars having fifteen cents.

Needless to say, my wife and kids have a great story to bring up at family gatherings. I'm not sure that's my greatest act of stupidity, but it ranks up there pretty high.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.