Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

You know, I think I'm going to have to do this music thing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AndyLowry, Dec 2, 2012.

1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I've played for audiences before (mostly classical piano, some theater musical stuff), but never really got that much out of it. No money to speak of, anyway. Did some hokey gigs as a fake blues guy accompanist ("welcome our guest piano man, Mr. Hiram "Pigfoot" White! Put your hands together!"), and didn't do all that well because I cannot, for the life of me, improvise well on piano. I can slam down some percussion chording on a keyboard all day, but when it comes to taking the spot for a solo, I'm a cringing gerbil.

This guitar thing is starting to make me think that I can actually perform. No, I don't play guitar well-- didn't get serious about it until a few months ago. But I think I see how a person can take a limited repertoire and slight ability and make it into a powerful performance.

What does Bob Dylan have? Chops? Umm... no, not really. What does Leonard Cohen have? (Genius poet, that's what, but musically?) What does the Rolling Stones have? Attitude, and not much else. They used to have sincerity, but that went away a long time ago.

I think I can do this. Anybody out there in Prescott? Let's start a band.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

--Kelly Joe Phelps

3. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

They have songs. You don't need to be a great player if you're a great writer.

Anyway, playing in a band is real blast. Good luck. It's worth the effort.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Tele-Meister

Is Prescott anywhere south of the Harbour Bridge Andy? I'll jam with ya.

6. AndyLowry

We can do it with Google+ hangouts. Let's go. I'm ready.

7. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dylan is a pretty solid rhythm player. Maybe he got better over a couple dozen hit records, but...to say he ain't got chops is minimizing who he is and at least the last six times I've seen him.

8. AndyLowry

As it happens, I am a great writer. James Joyce once remarked that he was afraid of me. Or maybe it was some lass named Joyce James, from Wheeling, West Virginia. I'm a little fuzzy at the moment. Memory problems come with age. Ah, but that Joyce, she could tell you a story, let me tell ya...

Where were we?

It's not about songs. It's about quality. It's about genuineness. It's about TRUTH, man. Dylan gave us truth, but I'm not real sure that I know what he was getting at. He still couldn't play guitar none, regardless. The world needs somebody to both (a) be a great writer, and (b) get the message across, whether the message is about the nesting of rodents under the house, or what. I can do those things in a mere two chords. TWO chords. None of your country three-chord stuff, okay? Let's strip the message down to the simplest parameters.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Those be some bold statements that remind me of Mr John Jameson. ;)

10. AndyLowry

The existence of Grand Funk Railroad proves your assertion to be incorrect.

11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Greater things have started with less. . . . I'm feeling you, man.

12. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

Good luck Andy. I played open mic up there not long ago.....

13. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, everyone must get stoned.

...but he was a great singer.

14. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Bob Dylan can play the guitar very well, and he has been doing so since his very first records. I suggest that you listen once before talking trash. Ignorance is not genuine or attractive, and talking bad about somebody doesn't make you better.

15. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

There's that humor thing again.

16. william tele

william tele Poster Extraordinaire

Andy, I'm in your camp. I learned to play piano all wrong and never developed the ability to do those wonderful right hand melodies...just a few simple rolls. My left hand is simply a bass player, but between the two I can play along with most simple stuff especially boogie. If I'm playing in the midst of some happy, friendly folk, the "percussive chording" and bass line is plenty back up for some good time sing along and harmonizing. If I'm playing guitar I can fill in with a suitcase footdrum bass and foot pedal on snare. Even my "worse than Taylor Swift without autotune" vocals aren't enough to make people tell me to shut the hell up...

A few weeks ago we passed by Prescott while roaming around AZ. Really enjoyed all the history of the indigionous people as well as that copper mine in Jerome. My soul really loves the geography of your area.

As far as entertaining? I'd say "you go boy!" I don't get the opertunity much anymore to play in even informal social gatherings but I sure love it when a band will let me sit in for even a couple tunes...

17. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

This. Listen to his first couple records or concerts from that era, he accompanied himself very well on guitar.

18. AndyLowry

Comparing myself, after getting serious about the guitar only six months ago or so, to Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and the Rolling Stones was intended to be ludicrous. Light-hearted, if you will. Silly. A joke, in other words. Like saying "Sure, Monet could apply paint to things, but so can I! Just painted my house last week." My apologies for giving the wrong impression.

19. String Tree

String Tree Poster Extraordinaire

Roll with it baby!
    Fortune favors the bold and one never knows until one tries.

20. AndyLowry

Thanks! Gonna do what I can.

Anytime somebody comes for a first visit to Arizona, Jerome is on the list of places to go. Then it's down the mountain to Tuzigoot and Montezuma's Castle. Then Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona, and so forth. Glad you had a chance to get through the area. Next time, we'll have lunch at El Gato Azul!

21. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Andy...you can do it man!!!
    why don't you write some songs and post them on the "Twanger Central" section of the TDPRI for us to hear!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.