Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

You gotta have a tele and a strat and a Les Paul and a...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Artslap, May 25, 2017.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    A7780883-94FB-49EA-BF66-71B7295FBA18.jpeg

Here’s mostly what I play. Honestly, these days I mostly play my Strat or the Telecaster. My Strat, which I can’t get enough of was in the living room, where it mostly lives and my acoustic was in the office where it mostly lives. I’ve got two other Telecaster projects sort of stalled out waiting for me to get back on them.

2. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia

3. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    At a bare minimum, I can get away with my strat and my acoustic. I'm looking at an archtop and a bridge humbucker for the strat to expand the variety of tones I can get.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Shredder, like an RG model with 24 jumbo frets, H-S-H, Floyd Rose. Just because they're fun to play - isn't that the whole point of playing guitar?

awasson and Evil Funk like this.

5. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    I respectfully put forth my opinion, and do not intend to offend anyone with what i say. Apologies, if i do. This is just my personal experience, and how it affected me.

I now prefer (it was not always this way) to be a musician and player, rather than the instrument collector i was.

I used to own a ton of guitars, effects and many amps, and found (after MANY years of not even noticing) that it diluted my focus and my playing. I was always shifting my musical goals and directions. Sometimes without consciously knowing it. It distracted me from the very reason i began learning guitar.... which was to PLAY (more precisely: playing in a band and writing original music).

I decided that i wanted to focus on my actual skills and performance more, rather than just obsessing about all sorts of gear that i KNEW i needed to achieve "this tone!" and "that tone!" So i thought maybe i should just pick one tone and stick with it, rather than juggling a collection of other peoples tones.

But how did i come to this? I LOVE collecting gear! Buying new pedals is my absolute favorite thing to do.

I had noticed several of my friends and peers doing just what i was doing. They were collecting amps and guitars and for what? Did they actually use all that gear onstage? Or in the studio perhaps? Lots of gear makes you feel pro, right? It certainly did for me. I was able to sound like anything and everything!

But... i wasn't doing everything, or even anything.

And when any of us DID actually play out, we always grabbed the SAME stuff! "My favorite rig/setup/combo" we'd say (for me it was my Kustom '36 Coupe Combo and Fender Strat HSS). And i realized... what the hell was all the other stuff for then? Comfort gear? Did it just make me feel good to know i had all this variety available to me?

Of my friends who DID belong to a band, that played at least 3-4 times a month... they were NOT collectors. They were players, and the type of gear and amount of gear they owned reflected that. They didn't own as much, but what they had was quality stuff that served a specific purpose. I saw a big difference between working musicians and bedroom rock stars.

I decided to make a bold change and sold ALL my gear. Yes, all of it. And while sitting around for a few months not playing anything, not being in a band, and having a ton of cash on hand, i asked myself.... "What do you really miss?"

I bought a Fender American Elite Telecaster, a Dr. Z Z-Wreck Amp, and a Vintage Tweed Lava Cable. I haven't looked back since, and i haven't "missed" any of the other gear. I have MY sound, and now i just focus on using it.

Getting rid of my "collection" was the best thing I've ever done for my playing. It brought me back to being a musician, which was all i ever wanted to be when i bought my first Teisco Del Ray and 10w Crate Amp in 1985.

TLDR: #GAS.cured

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

6. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    Thanks for sharing, good read.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I like variety:

Gretsch 6120

Gibson 335, 330, 175

Collings CL

50s style Strat, Tele

60s style Strat, Tele

Martin D-18GE, Martin OM-28V

Stuff I'd like to add:
    12-fret parlor, Collings or Martin
    Collings I-35 LC
    Duo Jet
    Jazzmaster
    Gibson R8

Evil Funk likes this.

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Good read.

It reminded me that I’ve had the opposite experience... For the greater part of my years trying to master the guitar, I’ve always had one electric guitar at a time and sometimes an acoustic as well. I’ve also never been satisfied with my playing or my progress. That began to turn around when I added more guitars to the mix.

It could just be a coincidence but I practice more now that I have a couple of guitars to choose from, I set practice goals and although I’ll always have room for improvement, I feel good about the progress I’m making these days. It could be that this is a phase I would have gone through regardless of the number of guitars but it seems to me that I get a little extra inspiration from having a few guitars to be able to play. Or it could be that I feel obligated to play at least half decently to rationalize having more than one guitar. Whatever the reason... it seems to be working.

I’m pretty satisfied with my two ibanez’s, my Fender Strat and my Tele Parts Pinecaster. I may need another Strat though... I never really liked Strats before but I’m a little obsessed with them now for some reason and play my Strat about 90% of the time.

moosie and Evil Funk like this.

9. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Gotta have at least 3. One with single coils, one with humbuckers, and one with P90s. And maybe an acoustic if you like that sort of thing.

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Sounds about right. Next additions will be a PRS soapbar variant and eventually a Gretsch of some flavor.

IMG_4917.JPG

11. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    If I had to go with only one guitar, I'll grab my Tele every time. If I were to put together a guitarsenal to cover all of and only what I need, it would consist of 3 electrics, two acoustics, a gut-stringer, and a mandolin.

For electrics:

Tele (standard 2-pup set-up.
    Jr (dog-ear P90).
    335 (good set of PAF pups).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.