Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

You got a decent gyros place around you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Mar 12, 2012.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Theodora's...

[​IMG]

And, Theodora (although the restaurant is actually named after her grandmother)...

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAlrAAAAJGNkNGMzNmM3LWQyMTQtNDg2Ny1iOTM1LWQ0NmE4MjY1MDM3Zg.jpg

:D

tery likes this.

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Are the gyros any good? My guess is it doesn't matter to you.

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    A) They're amazing...

B) Yeah, I really couldn't care less!

(That said, I was going there for gyros long before I ever saw Theodora, so that says something about the food, eh?)

4. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Lots. My favorite is in the middle of the desert on I-15 on the way to Vegas. The Mad Greek:

gyros.jpg

gobi_grey likes this.

5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Dammit, I'm hungry. I've got some leftover lamb neck taco meat, but it's too close to dinner time.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Several including one in the hood that sells them for $5 (in or out) on Wednesdays...that joint be slammed!

7. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV
    Mike and Tony's gyros, 15th and E. Carson St, Pittsburgh PA.

I love it. Sometimes get lucky enough to stop while I'm working in that area.

8. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    For my gyro fix (and all food items Greek) my special place is Tarpon Springs, FL (a Greek community). Everything else is just average.

9. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    They do not know how to make a Gyro in Tennessee .
    These Hillbillys have never even seen one .

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I'm not sure this place has gyros, but they make some really nice Mediterranean style food.

The chicken kabobs are from the simply 500 menu, where the dishes are 500 calories or below. The humus and pita was a freebie on that day.

(link for those who don't see pic https://goo.gl/photos/sazBFs2d66rek7k98)
    [​IMG]

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

That's a lot of dressing for one salad.

We have those restaurants here and they definitely do not have gyros.

BTW, anyone here got a good recipe for hummus? Every time I try to make it, it's close but no cigar. There are tons of recipes online and on youtube.

12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    LOL! That bottle of dressing just sets on the table. I just use a few squirts. :)

My wife made some humus a while back that tasted like humus. Too much work for me, when I just by a tub.

Humus reminds me of bean dip ... I guess it is the modern analogy of bean dip ... and that ain't necessarily a bad thing in my book. :D

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Got that gyros yearning. I hope Christmas break for the UW is soon, so I can take my kids downtown to Parthenon's without the extra aggravation.

Also I've been curious to try out Gus's, since he's moved out of the PDQ (which is now a Kwik Trip) and has opened a food truck / little greenhouse structure behind it.

14. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I got hooked on Doner Kebabs while in Germany in the 90s. Gyros/Kebabs are my weakness. Any time it's an option that's what I get. My wife is Bulgarian (borders Greece) so we eat lots of Mediterranean feed anyway.

Tony474 likes this.

15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Definitely! There are three places. Unfortunately, the one closest to me isn't the best of the three. I don't think any of them are truly authentic Greek, not that i really know any different. Don't ask me to spell their names.

16. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    If you want to try Gus's, you might as well go all the way to Gus's Diner on 19 in Sun Prairie. Same owner, same stuff. Better seating for sure.

17. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    We have a little gag I sometimes use at the end of a gig: "Good night, ladies and gentlemen, and remember: if you're stopping on the way home for a Doner Kebab, make sure you know who the 'doner' was!"

18. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I lived for a few years in Astoria, Queens, near Ditmars ave. which is the biggest Greek community outside of Greece. EVERYONE and almost every restaurant was Greek, I mean really Greek. I still daydream about the food. Gyros, yeah sure, but so so much else besides.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've been to Gus's diner in SP a bunch of times. They do the gyros there? I know the one that was at the gas station, that was kind of their specialty, I mean, they have the big gyro pillar and all. Don't know that I've seen that in SP

20. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Sorry a “decent gyro” is a contradiction in terms to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.