Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

You got a decent gyros place around you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Mar 12, 2012.

1. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

though in their defense... "greek" George is a guitar legend around the north end of the coast here.. a wicked bluesman...:)

He used to have a big barn type house out in the forest set up like a studio/band room... his parties were legendary in music circles.... all kinds of players/bands would turn up and play until dawn...
    a spit roast cooking outside.... a big friendly smile and bear hug from George on arrival....

good times..:)

2. Elkhorn

Elkhorn Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2012
    Helsinki, Finland
    Here in the Helsinki area of Finland I have yet to find any decent gyros at all.
    There are a lot of places, but sadly what they sell is junk compared to the real thing.

The best I've had elsewhere would be almost anywhere in Turkey or Greece. Some good ones in Germany, too. And not least, the absolutely divine gyros at a small place in Zurich, Switzerland, on a side street to Bahnhofstrasse.

3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Most Greek guitar players I've known have been frighteningly good players.
    It must be the bazouki right hand technique,

Back to the "Gyros".

4. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Uncle Pete's... Onions and extra cucumber sauce, hold the tomatoes.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    We've got nothing like that nearby, so please feel bad for me. I did get a pretty decent one at a cart near my wife's folks' house about a year ago, but I don't get up there often.

6. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    Tasmania
    LOL!

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

donor kebab or souvlaki would be more familiar names in Qld... for this..

these guys are in most malls/food courts...have been for decades.... never called them gyros though,,,;)

[​IMG]

8. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC

I'll have what he's having.

9. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Yep, and it's less than 10 minutes away; food and service are great; and it's a nice place with reasonable prices.

10. Mr_Mer

Mr_Mer Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes, I do have a very authentic Greek restaurant that offers some of the most delicious gyros I have ever eaten.

My wife's best friend is Greek, and we visit regularly, so I do have a first hand account of eating authentic Greek food, gyros included.

11. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Nick's earlier explanation of why Doner Kebab was banned in Greece reminds me of something I sometimes say to audiences at the end of a gig: "Good night, ladies and gents, and don't forget - if you're stopping for a Doner Kebab on the way home, make sure you know who the "Doner" was..."

Which reminds me... as I type it's lunchtime.

12. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    Baltimore
    If the gyro can't be seen spinning on a spit in the restaurant then I'm not buying a Gyro. The cucumber sauce has to be delicious and homemade.

13. didikai

didikai Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2010
    London
    Palm Springs street market on a Thursday evening.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    This is the correct attitude to have pertaining to gyros

15. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2010
    DC
    Not only are there good gyro places here, there are trucks that drive around town and sell gyros right on the street corner!

16. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    That was TASTY! :D

[​IMG]

Lots of great gyros meat hidden under that tzatziki sauce

17. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Thats not far away, used to live there. Once it cools off I plan to check the guitar center out there (I hear it sucks) and maybe I will try to hunt this down-when its not 114 degrees. :eek:

Lots of good food out there past the windmills.

18. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    Used to have a decent place near my work but it's shut down, had a good place near my house but that's closed down too. Seems to be going out of fashion here these days, lots of fancy burger and schnitzel joints opening up.

19. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I used to eat one at this little place about every day for lunch.

I slowed down and started eating salads about 3/4 of the time instead. One of
    the workers asked me why I no longer ordered lamb gyros, and I said because of
    the fat.

He said we also make them in chicken, and it was the best thing I ever ate. So
    now I am back to eating one daily.

20. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    If someone in this little hick town were to sell gyros I would be their best customer! Haven't had one in about 20 years!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.