Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

You ever have a song write itself that still stands up?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I’ve had a few, but the most memorable is actually becoming relevant again. It was 1999 and I was going back to Nebraska for my 10 year high school reunion. I still had hair down to my ass at that point, and I’d gone from stoner nerd to rocker war vet in the 10 years between.

I wrote and recorded this song originally in the summer of ‘99. I had just gotten back to NYC after the reunion, and I had this song that needed to get out. I got home from the airport about 11pm, by midnight I’d written the music and lyrics, and by 2am it was recorded.

I have my 30 year HS reunion next year so I thought I’d start playing it again.

I recorded this tonight. Not bad for the first time or two playing it in 20 years.

Anyone else have a song that wrote itself that still stands up?

Semper Fi,

C.H.U.D.

RodeoTex, P Thought and william tele like this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I like it and it immediately gave me the same vibe as this one by Robert Earl Keen:

RodeoTex and Chud like this.
  3. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Really dig that song! I’m going to have to check out the rest of the album and other things he has out. Never a bad thing to find three twenties and a ten.

voodoostation likes this.
  4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    The man really connects...but so do you. I was listening to your song...kind of producing it in my mind with some added rhythm and beats. I'd like to hear it straight into a nice condenser mic on vocals. Thanks for sharing!

Chud likes this.
  5. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Yeah. Wrote a song at 16 years old that I would say is the second best song I've ever had a hand in (the best was co-written and about 10 years after the other one).

Chud likes this.
  6. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    It’s on the docket to get down in the studio. Work has been crazy lately and we have new tenants downstairs, so I haven’t been being loud in the studio for a few weeks. Lol.

I’m hearing some nice piano throughout. Fills during the verses, helping build up in the prechorus, and then ripping arpeggios in the chorus.

My old guitarist and I have been chatting about it as well, and we’re hearing a bit of a Freebird vibe to it. Hell, it’s 6 minutes without instrumental break so it could go on forever with the right arrangement. Lol

william tele likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Yes. I wrote a catchy little ditty when I was 20 years old. It basically fell out of my pen--I wrote it in less than ten minutes, and the song's only 3 minutes long!

I think it's a stupid song, but people like it.

Chud likes this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Wow Chud, that's awesome and i can't even understand many of the words on my crappy little phone speaker (like the voice tho).
    I also like how the guitar goes from picking to strumming. It's got a very James McMurtry feel (I know you did this before anyone heard of him).
    I automatically started hearing where I'd put in distorted tremolo guitar accents and where the bass would be in or lay out.
    Good job.

Chud likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    The joy of playing one of your old originals comes out so well in that vid. Very inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Chud likes this.
  10. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Yup.

Chud likes this.
  11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”You ever have a song write itself that still stands up?”

If only I could stand to play it

P Thought and Chud like this.
  12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have three or four songs that have "stood up" a long time, if I understand the term the way you mean it. I still play them and sing them, and I wouldn't be afraid to sing them for an audience if. . . .

Interestingly, all of them pretty well wrote themselves, the way you describe the writing of your song. The longer ones took longer, but only because they were longer songs.

I like your song, Chud. I went to three different high schools--graduated in '71--and I've never been to a class reunion. If I ever do go to one, hope you don't mind, I'm "borrowing" your song!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Borrow away!

Here’s another self-writer that I’ve really never done justice to recording-wise. It’s on the list though. The subject of this song, Rusty, died way too young of pancreatic cancer. Rusty was the most genuine, honest, and empathetic person I’ve ever known. I wrote this back in the late 90s shortly after his death.

P Thought likes this.
  14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Songwriting has eluded me. I would love to write one...even a crappy one. I've come up with some ideas here and there, but...none have ever came to any conclusion. I don't know why that is. I even bought a book on how to write songs. It was actually good and informative and inspired me! But...still no songs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.