Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yo, VM Telecaster Special Owners! I Have Questions!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Jul 8, 2013.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    After a long deliberation, I just became a first-time Squier Tele owner, having purchased a new Classic Vibe '50s Tele (BSB). I have to say that I love everything about my CV '50s Tele; so much so, that it has become my new Number 1. I cannot fathom how Fender is able to build such a quality instrument for so little money - but I'm glad they do!

I'm now ready for another foray into Squier-land and I must admit that I'm intrigued by the recent addition of the Telecaster Special to the Vintage Modified line-up. It's a very interesting build, IMHO.

So, VM Telecaster Special owners, and those with any personal experience, I have a few questions for you:
    I have read that this Tele is prone to "neck dive". True? How much do these Tele's weigh, on average?

What ohm's readings are you guys getting on the stock pickups? I read that the neck pickup averages 6+ k ohms and the bridge pickup averages 13+ K ohms. True?

Is the bridge pickup alnico or ceramic?

Are there any "must do" mods required on these Tele's, or can they be enjoyed out-of-the-box?

Here's a big one: How does the VM Tele Special compare to the CV '50s Tele, in terms of build quality, playability and tone quality?
    Thanks for your input, guys.

2. zakkwyldefan79

zakkwyldefan79 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Ky
    I have read that this Tele is prone to "neck dive". True? How much do these Tele's weigh, on average?
    Mine doesn't neck dive at all. Not sure on the weight, they do have some weight but are not overly heavy.

What ohm's readings are you guys getting on the stock pickups? I read that the neck pickup averages 6+ k ohms and the bridge pickup averages 13+ K ohms. True?
    The ones in mine both read around 6.5 k ohms.

Is the bridge pickup alnico or ceramic?
    I think alnico. It matched and blended with the neck pickup really well.

Are there any "must do" mods required on these Tele's, or can they be enjoyed out-of-the-box?
    Nothing that really has to be done. They are not bad at all right out of the box. I bought mine just to mod it into the Tele that I had always wanted.

Here's a big one: How does the VM Tele Special compare to the CV '50s Tele, in terms of build quality, playability and tone quality?
    I had a CV '50s BSB here today. I was upgrading the pots & switch for a friend of mine. The build quality was the same as my VM Tele. Playability was also the same. Tone was good but the stock Duncan Designed pickups in the VM Tele Special sounded better to me.

3. joaopazguitar

joaopazguitar Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2012
    Porto, Portugal
    I got mine a week ago.
    Serious setup required out of the box, but that's always the very first thing I do on a new guitar so no problem at all.

I don't want to change a thing on this one - absolutely love it as it is, and the sound is super! Pickups' sound and tone are very well balanced and usable in the 3 positions.

The guitar really came (more) alive when I added a set of 012s Thomastick flatwounds, wow. I can definitely "hear the neck" on this one.

I knew I was going to like this guitar but it greatly exceeded my expectations :cool:

4. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    I'd like to get more feedback from other owners regarding the weight of this Tele and the nature of those pickups (alnico/ceramic bridge?, more ohms numbers).

Sounds good, joaopazguitar.

5. joaopazguitar

joaopazguitar Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2012
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi FenderGuy,

According to my kitchen scale the guitar weights 3,5 Kgs, sharp.
    That is ... 7.716 pounds

Hope it helps,
    JP

6. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Sure does, JP. Thank you kindly, sir.

7. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Apr 14, 2012
    Central Scotland
    Hi , out the box mine worked and sounded amazing and I bought it blind , I have since modded it to death , not checked the res of the pups as stock , but am told the bridge is indeed 13+ , testament to its quality is I kept mine in pos as it is a killer :cool: , neck dive problem just does not exist , mine is well balanced , fair weight mind you , but nothing drastic , buy one , you wont be disappointed and trust me its the best platform for mods on the planet oh and it looks cool as @@@@ to boot IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

8. zakkwyldefan79

zakkwyldefan79 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Ky
    I got to weigh mine today. It weighs right at 8 pounds. Give or take a little, the scale wasn't the best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.