Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

yikes! there's a ghost in my tele (cvc)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by dmoss74, Jul 19, 2016.

1. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    what the heck is this? granted, the ac is making some big background noise, and this is just a cell phone recording, but you can hear it. after i play a chord, there's a ghost "d" that has a long slow decay.

i don't think this is a microphonic thing, and it happens with both pickups (did so in this test). what, pray tell, could this be? :)

boo....

https://app.box.com/s/r7udvukiq5wqju4styf26tjrzfbnchsk

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Obviously some kind of harmonic but from what source I don't know. Are you getting it through the same amp with a different guitar?

You're lucky it's only a ghost. I have one that's demon possessed and demands it own proprietary wiring scheme as a sacrifice. LOL

3. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    haha, that's funny. and it's only this guitar. i have tried at least seven others, and they don't get this paranormal activity. :) i'll change strings tomorrow, in hopes that this poltergeist ends. i just got the guitar last night, and these aren't my strings.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Hmmm, not the amp then huh? Good luck with the exorcism. My demon refused to exit even after I offered to sacrifice a virgin which at my age would have been really tough to find unless I located a convent nearby. :eek: :D

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Put a cloth or something under the strings at the headstock to see if it;s what I think it is. Sounds like a very very common tele thing, the G string resonating between the tuner and the nut. I get this on most all teles and it's always the G. I rectify it by putting a tiny piece of scotch tape on the G between the nut and tuner.

soulman969, teleaddicted and richa like this.

6. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    Try putting a tape on the string before the nut.

teleaddicted likes this.

7. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    well, it's definitely the g string that's causing the ghost. i tried new strings, and it's still doing it. i've owned many teles, and never had this before. i'll try the tape trick to see if that cures it. this is a new one for me. :) thanks

8. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I have the same problem with the 5th fret D on the A string of my 30" Yamaha bass, doesn't happen on the 12th fret of the E string or the open D, or for that matter on my 34" basses and only on one of my amps.

Weird but now I just work around it if I'm playing through that amp which is rare because it's too bloody big and loud

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I've had it with most teles, but i think the possible reason is break angle over the nut and i use either locking tuners or use very few wraps. Maybe you use a lot of wraps which creates a steeper angle and you just didn't on this tele? Or maybe this one is more prone, maybe has a less steep head face? Break angle is all i can think of as to why you haven't had this issue before with many other teles. Well, also maybe your other ones did it a lot quieter and this one is just louder for some reason. Maybe the guitar just resonates at that frequency more than others. You may wanna try the tape trick on other teles too and while you didn't hear it it may be there, just not loud enough to notice but loud enough to hurt the overall tone.

In any case try the tape and i'm sure it's work. That resonating G in back of the nut can really muck up the sound and hurt the overall clarity. Every time i change strings i forget but i get reminded to get the tape out quickly when i hear that horrible sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.