Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yet another Tru-Oil question thread

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by geetarguy24, Sep 10, 2016.

1. geetarguy24

geetarguy24 TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Baltimore
    Hey all. So I'm going to be ordering a maple neck/fretboard from warmoth to put onto a tele body, and i think i've landed on Tru Oil as my finish of choice. It seems relatively easy, cheap, and effective. My main question is, will i need to also use a grain filler or a more intense sealer before or after the tru oil? ultimately i want a nice feeling finish that will also protect the neck from warping or moving. i have no previous wood finishing experience. Thanks!

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    The only neck that I have finished with Tru Oil came with a sanding sealer already applied. However, if it would have come raw I would have just used the Tru Oil by itself. Maple necks are usually very closed grain so no filler would be necessary IMHO. The main things about using Tru Oil is that you should start with something sanded with at least 320 grit paper. Then you should apply the Tru Oil and wipe it down within 2 minutes of applying it. You want as thin a coat as possible. I always wait 24 hours between coats then burnish the surface a bit with a fine scotch brite pad. Then I repeat the application procedure. I usually stop at 5 coats, but some people do twice that amount. You can determine the gloss by various methods of polishing if you like. I just use the scotch brite pad and be done with it.

3. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    Yep, no sealer needed. The wood will absorb the first coat pretty well, but any excess can be wiped off. After that I will do about one coat a day, giving a light scuffing before applying each coat. Just be sure to apply each new coat as thin as possible and then don't touch it until the next day. Each coat must dry thoroughly before applying the next. This usually take about a day where I live, but weather and humidity levels will effect this.

4. geetarguy24

geetarguy24 TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Baltimore
    Thanks to you both, i'll post some pics when it's all finished

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You don't need either but you can use either, or both.

I use Minwax Tung Oil Finish (which is roughly similar to Tru Oil) and used an oil based grain filler underneath it. It fills the tiny voids and depending on color, makes what grain and medullary rays there are "pop". Two light applications, dry for a couple minutes then get any residue you can off of there. Hit is with two thin applications of (in your case, the Tru Oil) and wipe it super clean, buff it up. You can burnish these things into the finish - that's what I like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.