Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yet another outstanding Win10 experience...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Peregrino69, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    I'm running Win10 Pro, set to US English. Wanted to change that to International English, mainly for easy access to €-sign. Checking language settings ... huh, not there? Looking all over the place, it's just not available. I've got 16 OTHER English variants... could change this bugger to Jamaican or Zimbabwean English if I wanted to. But International, just no.

Contacted support. Managed to get on without all the usual rigamarole this time. Still took almost half an hour for the support to tell me "it seems that International English isn't quite available yet". I go "Hang on, we're talking about an OS that's almost 3 years old, and we're STILL missing a feature that's been available for the last 20+ years???". Yapp, that's how it is...

Apparently there's a ticket now for the engineers who will "look into it". According to support they are also the ones that will ultimately decide whether or not International English support will be added in the first place. I would've imagined the responsibility of product development decisions lies somewhere else, but that's just me.

The most ridiculous part was when I asked for support to email me the chat transcript. Turns out they are not allowed to do that to protect my privacy and confidentiality. Mind you, to get to the chat support in the first place I had to login with the same Hotmail account I've also had for 20+ years and I've used to purchase from Micro$oft so they definitely know who I am.

I SO wish that the international law would start really looking hard into M$oft business practices to break this <unprintable> de facto market monopoly they've been allowed to gain.

Sorry for the rant, just had to...

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    Microsoft is the Anti-christ!

xafinity likes this.

3. adamnewtonguitar

adamnewtonguitar TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    US
    If you have unsupported characters that you'll frequently need, just copy/paste them from a website and save them in a text file.

To access that quickly, download a program called Launchy, save the text file to Launchy's catalogue, then you have a hotkey (alt-enter, then type the name of the doc) to pull it up whenever you need it. Of course, you could also save it to your desktop.

4. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    It looks like their support level is micro, and reliability is kinda soft...

5. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    why do I click on microsoft topics? Its like convulsively watching a wreck video. Just have to click and see the carnage. MUST CLICK AND BE TERRIFIED:D

Felino and Nickadermis like this.

6. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Just passing thru
    If you have a US keyboard, then supposedly:

Left ALT + 0128 gives €

I’m not able to test, since I don’t use windows.

It should also be possible to map custom symbols to your preferred keyboard so that they’re more easily accessible.

xafinity likes this.

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Of course, you could always go into Settings>Time and Language>Region and Language>Additional date, time & regional settings>Change date, time or number formats>Additional settings>Currency and change it to what you want.

imwjl and xafinity like this.

8. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ

9. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Gibson has it I think. They are just ascii characters and I recall remapping a keyboard years ago for what I dont recall. Or even how. I think it was one of my exwife's windoid boxes. Check into that, remap a unused character or a option, command or control modified key. Im pretty sure thats all that is going on when windows give a bobsled english option. The OS just runs a script to remap.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, it's like a horrible bus accident. You don't want to look, but you somehow can't help yourself.
    I still have Win 7 and XP installs I'll boot to for games and some applications from back in the day, but I'll build a BSD router/firewall and sandbag my Windows installs behind that before I ever downgrade to 10.

11. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Thanks guys, advice always appreciated even tho' not needed :)

ALT codes are handy, even when slow, but laptops generally don't have number keyboard which makes them a bit less handy. Copy pasting from websites or documents is another way, but gaddamn slow and tedious. There are a few utilities like AutoHotKey or SharpKeys which can change or add to keyboard mapping directly. I just don't like the idea of needing yet another utility to be able to do yet another thing Windows can't handle in a decent manner.

Another wish on the list - come soon the day when I can finally get rid of Windoesn't for good...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.