Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yet another grain fill thread.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Colt W. Knight, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    Cool tutorial- thanks Colt. I have an Alder body coming from Mark Rutters with binding. Any special considerations to dealing with the binding? Should I mask it off, fill the body, then scrape binding of any bleed through if needed?

Thanks!
    Lou

2. Moonpie60

Moonpie60 TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2010
    New Braunfels, TX
    If I intend on staining the body, do I mix my colored stain into my grain filler? I am planning on using water based stain and wanter based grain filler. I have "Nuetral" grain filler.

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Alder requires no grain filler, but on bound bodies, no special considerations need to be taken with the binding grain filling.

Yes, mix a water based dye into the grain filler to match the color.

4. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    Thanks Colt. I've heard mixed things on grain filling and Alder. I prefer not to grain fill anyway so good to hear that it won't need it.

5. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2007
    hamburg, NY
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents about Obeche as a wood source. As colt stated it is extremely light as well as soft... care has to be taken with regard to this. It's important to always have the body on some sort of soft work surface until a final finish is applied. The wood unfinished dings and scratches very easy. It will imprint anything it's set on like a tool an errant screw . I have built a few guitars using it and love it. IMO Obeche has very similar working and weight properties as swamp ash and price wise, it beats SA hands down. I can get 8 one piece bodies for what I would pay retail for a one (2 piece) SA body blank. It's available less then five miles from home and plentiful.. also, it's imperative to make sure your router bits are sharp.. I have experienced tear out when routing it.. the tear out has disappeared since changing over to spiral bits though....

My latest build using Obeche....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

6. everclear1567

everclear1567 TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2012
    san jose,ça
    Colt, if your specifically using the joint compound as a filler then is it ok to us it without the stain color and would you get the same results?

7. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    The grain filler would just be white if you didn't color it. Would still work the same way, but where you see brown, you would see white.

8. everclear1567

Apr 9, 2012
    san jose,ça
    Correct, would I need to add water? And if so how much

9. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    See post #2

10. rusticoaf

rusticoaf Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2010
    huntington, indiana
    Colt, thanks for this... There is so much information on this forum that sometimes it can feel a bit overwhelming. The presentation of this thread makes it a bit easier to understand.

11. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    Can you use true oil over this filler or will it just dissolve? Do I seal first, then grain filler and then true oil? Betcha can't you tell I am a newb.

12. everclear1567

Apr 9, 2012
    san jose,ça
    Finally did this today, will post a pic with the results and you can tell me if I suck or not. Right now before sanding I can see the filler in the pores.

13. everclear1567

Apr 9, 2012
    san jose,ça
    This is a little snapshot from light sanding of the grain filler... What do you think?
    image-2453871424.jpg

14. Foggy_Frets

Foggy_Frets NEW MEMBER!

Apr 28, 2012
    West Coast USA
    Opinions on green RIT dye with dry-wall compound on korina?

Folks,

I'd be thrilled to hear opinions on trying to use a mixed combo of green RIT dye and a dry-wall compound (similar to DAP product that Colt so kindly demo'd) to accomplish a few tasks, namely:

1. Get a deep green stain that enhances the grain on the korina (AKA African black limba) body I'm playing with.

2. Fill the grain to get a suitably smooth finish for a nice top coat.

3. Be lasting and durable -- I want to play this, not stare at it.

4. And finally, be cheap and reasonably easy.

For what it's worth, the two attached photos are of the mystery korina project I picked off of craigslist, and a random green goth guitar I found on the web that has a color similar to what I'm after.

So, any opinions? Or insights?

Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files:

15. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    RIT dye is waterbased, so it will color dry wall mud. However, Keep in mind when you mix dyes into white dry wall much, they will come out as light colors, especially when they dry. So if you mix a dark green into the mud, it will most likely dry as a lighter shade of green.

16. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2008
    Sydney to L.A.
    Colt, your information and replies to my own threads on finishing have helped me immensely as I knew nothing about this subject only weeks ago. Question though, is sealer and primer the same thing? When I went to my paint supplier, he hooked me up with a tin of acrylic primer, suggesting that I mix it 50/50 with thinners. Would this play the same role as each time you refer to "sealer"? IE, primer, grain fill, primer, colour....? I am not looking for a vintage correct finish, and it will be a solid sea foam green without any translucent at all?

Thanks so much!
    -Rob

EDIT: I just found another post of your where you refer to sealer and primer in 2 different scenarios, which in short answers my question. I guess I have my head around grain filling (thinking of using your drywall technique as I have lots of it on hand), priming, colour coats, but still trying to find what I can get my hands on to use as a suitable sealer for my acrylic lacquer. With different products on offer here in Australia, still trying to find appropriate supplies etc.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

17. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Sealers are specifically designed to penetrate pores, and create a good base for paint/varnish. Automotive sealers are used to seal stuff like bondo, and wood sealers seal the grain. Without sealing, wood and bondo act like sponges.

Primer is designed to build up a base coat for painting that is the same color.

Both are formulated build quicker and sand easier than paint/varnish to make prep process easier and quicker.

They are not interchangeable products.

18. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    After experimentation,

I wouldn't use RIT dye. It is not color fast. It fades pretty quickly.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/348012-rit-dye-guitars.html

19. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2008
    Sydney to L.A.
    Thanks Colt! Since posting on this thread I have been digging around and found many recommend a sanding sealer product here called "U-Beaut"...

Thanks to people like yourself, I'm starting to feel confident to approach this whole guitar finish thing ;)

20. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    Colt: I know this is a pretty old thread, but just wondering if a compound could be made using Spackling Compound, or Plaster of Paris (which I have plenty of around the house)?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.