Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Yet another first build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by zorgzorg2, May 14, 2017.

1. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    If I may bump up my previous question: Do I need do finish the guitar first and only then drill the holes for the neck plate, or should I align the neck with the body already now, tighten with a clamp and drill the neck screw holes ?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Most bodies you buy unfinished are pre drilled.

zorgzorg2 likes this.

3. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    While it seems that everyone has a different idea about what steps go into what order... here is what I do... drill the holes before finishing. I finish the neck and the body, although the last guitar body I painted the bottom of the neck route was covered with tape. This left the base of the neck route without paint. Not sure it makes much of a difference.

It's not that the finish takes up a huge amount of room, but it does take up some. Depending on your neck pocket routing you may still need a little wiggle room.

Good luck!

zorgzorg2 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    I didn't give any update yesterday: it was rainy, so no woodworking for me. I still managed to fill the gaps under the frets with some saw dust and wood glue:
    [​IMG]

Today was sunny again, so after I went buying some supplies, I manage to do a few things.

Using my new toy, I drilled the string-through holes
    [​IMG]

It's not as smooth as a drill press, but it gets the job done. I used it too to make the neck screw holes in the body and neck, after having sanding out an armrest:
    [​IMG]
    Oh, and my son wanted to help out, so he started shielding the cavities.

I also had to work on the nut, so that I could set the E and e string, to check the neck alignment. I used the nut string spacing pdf I found here, but must have used is badly: the e seems really close to the edge of the fretboard. Sliding the nut 1 or 2 mm to low string sides looks much better. I will double check tonight that I use the pdf correctly. My grooves were really shallow, so I can make new one without any problem. The next picture, even blurry, you can see the nut is hanging out on the right side.
    [​IMG]

And another pic:

[​IMG]

As for the neck pocket being too wide, it turns out that the neck aligns best with the body and bridge when the bottom of the neck rests on the bottom of the neck pocket, so all is well :)

richa and John Nicholas like this.

6. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    Ok, today was mostly cleaning up the body and neck, preparing for painting/finishing. I worked on the nut, and I fear I'm lacking the proper tools. Is there a way around nut files ?

Other than that, I countersunk the neck plate, which was hanging over the rounded edge otherwise. Much better now :)
    [​IMG]

So, I think I'm ready to start painting, or did I miss something ?

John Nicholas and Daniel94 like this.

7. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Looking really good!

As for the nut files, there are some alternative methods, like using a welding tip cleaner, or short pieces of old guitar strings. But these are so difficult to use in making a guitar nut.

Do you have a friend or even a music store where someone could cut the slots for you? That might be a better way until you choose to invest in nut files.

Looks like your ready for finishing. Just checking, did you sand? Then sand some more?? If so, you're ready!

zorgzorg2 likes this.

8. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    I found welding tip cleaners, so I'll use that, thanks @John Nicholas

Sanding, yes, I will do again. How fine do I need to go before applying the paint, 250 ? 400 ? 1000 ? 0000 ?

9. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Glad you found the welding tip cleaners.

For sanding you only have to use 220 or 320. If you go too fine, the finish has nothing to "bite" into.

Daniel94 and zorgzorg2 like this.

10. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    So yesterday was sanding day, and today I dyed/painted the body. First dye with dark walnut, then sand it, then dye it red. I'm a bit disappointed the (faint) wood grain doesn't come out more. But it looks good still. Sprayed some black on the back. Need do retouch a bit with a brush, but otherwise it should be fine.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The black paint is very thin, the grain (or bondo :( ) shows through. Did I use the wrong paint, or will the lacker make that disappear ?

mudimba and Daniel94 like this.

11. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    If you can see through it I'd say you probably need another coat of black before lacquer. It's looking great! I really like the paint scheme!

zorgzorg2 likes this.

12. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    @Daniel94 Here is what I meant with seeing the grain through the layer paint:
    [​IMG]
    But it doesn't seem like a big deal now :)

John Nicholas and Daniel94 like this.

13. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    So I started putting some clear lacquer, first spray a couple of coats with a can to fixate the red dye, using my spraying booth :)
    [​IMG]
    Then some layers of brushed water-based poly
    [​IMG]
    Looked good until I started sanding and saw all the grooves...
    [​IMG]
    So I'm adding more coats now.

Daniel94 likes this.

14. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That front colour is starting to look amazing!

zorgzorg2 likes this.

15. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    The reason for the "grooves" is you didn't fill the grain first. Try not to make the finish too thick.

Even with the "grooves" it's looking really good.

And I love your paint booth! ;)

16. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    @John Nicholas thanks! I'm still working on this, adding coats, then sanding them too thin, starting over... But I think I'm almost there now:using a lacquer brush instead of a regular paint brush makes a huge difference, and then moving to a foam brush makes it yet better. Now applying the clear coats is almost brush marks free, so I don't have to sand down using coarse grit anymore. I'll be trying the final sand down tomorrow :)

John Nicholas likes this.

17. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Love the dye job on the top.

zorgzorg2 likes this.

18. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    OK, first attempt at polishing. Put some brown compound, and it starts shining, all good. But the comes the blue compound and it becomes all white... Am i doing something wrong?

Attached Files:

19. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Norrköping, Sweden
    All setup! Still some fret buzz, but the rest works like a charm! I'm still amazed it turned out so good, despite all the mistakes and ugly fix ups...

Attached Files:

20. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    Looks great!! Nice work!

zorgzorg2 likes this.

21. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah, I love that colour.

zorgzorg2 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.