Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Yet another esquire wiring question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jswindle, Jan 15, 2010.

1. jswindle

jswindle Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2009
    Rowlett, TX
    I appollogize in advance if somewhere this question has been asked before. I've spent the last hour scouring the forum and the net for an answer to this question and can't find an answer or haven't recognized if I did find it.

After messing around with my esquire wiring I've decided I'd like to do away with the three way switch and go to using some type of mini switch. Mostly because I never really use the straight to jack tone setting with the three way switch.

Could I use a mini-switch to wire it where I have one position that has the Vol+Tone and the other option being Cocked Wah sound with a .01 cap? I really like the look of the two knob with one mini switch control plate on the tele.

I found Mellecasters diagram where he uses a on/off switch to go with vol+tone/straight to jack, but was wondering if I could modify this to get the vol+tone/cocked wah?

What type of mini-switch would I need? How would I accomplish this from a wiring perspective. I'm a bit of a hack when it comes to wiring so the more specific the better for me.

Thanks.

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    [​IMG]

Here's a version I've drawn up of the "cocked wah" type tone that we've been calling the "Arlo Mod" - (even though I believe he credits TDPRIer Woodman with developing it).

This 2-way DP/DT toggle would switch between < volume and tone > and < volume and "cocked wah" (no tone) >.

3. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2008
    Texas

4. Deaf Eddie

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    LocustPlague, I believe your post was refering to the Eldred mod. There are two popular versions of this tone mod - The Eldred Mod and Arlo's Mod.

See more discussion of that in this thread...

Shoulda left your response posted, for a spirited discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of the two mods yet again...!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010

5. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2008
    Texas
    Meh. I could have left it, but then I would feel responsible for the spirited discussion. To make matters worse, I don't use either of those two mods (my only tele-style is wired up stock) so I have no personal interest in either side...

6. jswindle

jswindle Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2009
    Rowlett, TX
    Eddie,

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much.

I have three questions. On the ground wire from the input jack, it looks like to me that you have it grounded to both pots. Is that correct? I've normally only grounded the input jack to one of the pots.

Where you have the cap/resistor/cap combo on the switch can I sub that for just a .01 cap to get the cocked wah sound?

If question number two isn't possible what type of resistor should I use. Last time I was at Radio Shack I noticed that had two different types of resistors. I think they were 1/4 and 1/2. Does it matter?

Thanks.

7. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2008
    Texas
    1) most people will only connect to one pot when doing grounding. if, for some reason, you are connecting things to multiple pots, then you must have both pots connected together. Thankfully, if you are using an electrically conductive mounting plate, you would be covered.

2) Actually, I believe what you are describing is closer to what I had originally drawn which is referred to as the "Eldred mod" apparently. You would put a small cap (0.0047 in the schematics I've seen) from the left top-most lug to ground and short the left top lug to the top right. Neither of these sounds are really my cup of tea, so I can't chime in on preferences, but you could certainly give both a try.

Either type of resistor you described would be fine. Those fractions refer to power ratings (1/4W and 1/2W) Because you won't be generating anywhere NEAR those wattages, I'd say go with the 1/4 (they're a slight bit smaller and if I remember correctly, cheaper).

8. Deaf Eddie

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I always draw Teles like that. The traditional wiring grounds only the volume pot, with the ASSSumption that the metal control plate grounds the tone pot. Either way, it's all good as long as the tone pot gets grounded somehow.

I don't think so - if you want the true "Arlo's Mod" cocked wah sound, do not substitute values or leave out parts.

However, If you just want the "Eldred Mod" tone (which doesn't really sound like a cocked wah to me, just an odd filter), then remove the .010uF cap and resistor from the right/top of the drawing, and just jumper the two top lugs of the toggle switch together. The .005uF cap stays, one leg on the switch and one leg on ground.

IMHO, with the Eldred Mod, your .010uF cap (you would subsitute it for the .005uF in the drawing) MIGHT be too big. I don't think it would give you the cocked-wah tone so much as the wet blanket tone - it would just roll off a LOT of the highs, kind of like having the tone pot rolled back to "5" or so... YMMV, of course.

With the micro-voltage created in a guitar, the wattage of the resistor doesn't really come into play.

FWIW, for all practical purposes, .005uF and .0047uF are the same cap value - caps in that value typically being +/- 20%. The .0047uF is, I believe, easier to find.

9. jswindle

jswindle Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2009
    Rowlett, TX
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. You have both explained it in a way that I can understand it.

Locust...what part of Tx are you in?

10. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2008
    Texas
    No problem. Explaining circuits can be tricky sometimes.

I'm in the Austin area.

11. jswindle

jswindle Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2009
    Rowlett, TX
    Thanks again.

I love Austin. Used to live there back in 2000 time frame. Met my wife there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.